shape
carat
color
clarity

How do I turn down a job offer gracefully?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I recently had a job interview. After learning more about the position during that interview, I now realize that its not a good match for me. The interviewer seemed very excited about my qualifications so I think that an offer is a possibility.

If I do get an offer, how do I decline without burning any bridges? In my line of work, your professional reputation is worth a lot.

Thanks in advance!
35.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 1:18:25 AM
Author:goldenstar
I recently had a job interview. After learning more about the position during that interview, I now realize that its not a good match for me. The interviewer seemed very excited about my qualifications so I think that an offer is a possibility.

If I do get an offer, how do I decline without burning any bridges? In my line of work, your professional reputation is worth a lot.

Thanks in advance!
35.gif

I would just be honest and say pretty much what you said above.

"After learning more about the position during the interview, I actually realized the job wouldn''t be the best match for me. I appreciate the offer and if something comes up that is a better match for me I''d love to interview for that. Thank you again for the offer and your time."

Or something similar...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Look on line for sites that have pre written rejection of job letters...take the pre written form and re-write to make your own.Make sure you compliment the company on at least one area to stay in their good graces.

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
have you already sent a follow-up letter to thank your interviewer? i was just reading a job interview book that suggested letting the company know sooner than later that you''re no longer interested in the position. if you''ve thought it over carefully and are really sure you don''t want the job, when you write to thank your interviewer for his/her time, you can also let them know that after careful consideration, you''ve decided that the job is not a good match. you don''t necessarily need to elaborate on why, but if you''re potentially interested in a different position within the same company, express your admiration of the company but explain that you are looking for a position more along the lines of x,y,z. that way, if they really liked you as a candidate, they may think of you if/when something more appropriate opens up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results