shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you feel around your photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, ladies! I''m fairly new to BIW and am planning an October 23rd wedding in Chicago. I''m currently trying to book a photographer on a tight budget.

After doing a lot of research (and using past Chicago photographer referrals from this board - TY!), I have found a photographer whose work FI and I both like and who is incredibly reasonably priced. He and I have spoken on the phone, and my FI and I are meeting with him next week to get to know him a bit more and talk more about what working with him would be like.

All of that is great... BUT, he''s *REALLY* awkward on the phone. I feel like our conversations have been kind of forced, and for some reason this is bothering me. I''m hopeful he''ll be better in person, but if he''s not... Is this something I should be worried about? I guess I''m asking because - well - if we go with him, he would be experiencing some of our most intimate & special moments with us. Should we feel like we have a very natural, comfortable relationship with our photographer? Is that something that could impact the quality of our photos?

I''m curious to see how you ladies feel/have felt about your photographer and whether or not you think I''m making a big deal over nothing (it has been known to happen
9.gif
).

Thanks in advance for your perspective!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 1:29:01 PM
Author:CurlySue
Hello, ladies! I''m fairly new to BIW and am planning an October 23rd wedding in Chicago. I''m currently trying to book a photographer on a tight budget.

After doing a lot of research (and using past Chicago photographer referrals from this board - TY!), I have found a photographer whose work FI and I both like and who is incredibly reasonably priced. He and I have spoken on the phone, and my FI and I are meeting with him next week to get to know him a bit more and talk more about what working with him would be like.

All of that is great... BUT, he''s *REALLY* awkward on the phone. I feel like our conversations have been kind of forced, and for some reason this is bothering me. I''m hopeful he''ll be better in person, but if he''s not... Is this something I should be worried about? I guess I''m asking because - well - if we go with him, he would be experiencing some of our most intimate & special moments with us. Should we feel like we have a very natural, comfortable relationship with our photographer? Is that something that could impact the quality of our photos?

I''m curious to see how you ladies feel/have felt about your photographer and whether or not you think I''m making a big deal over nothing (it has been known to happen
9.gif
).

Thanks in advance for your perspective!!
Yes, and DEFINITELY!! If you feel awkward, it will show in the pictures. We eliminated a photog because he was kind of a creeper, though his work was amazing and his prices were even better.
7.gif

The photog team we went with felt like old friends from the time we met. We were sad when they left!
3.gif

I would wait to decide about him until you meet. Some people just aren''t phone people, ya know? Good luck!!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I also think it's extremely important to feel comfortable around your photographers - they're the 'eyes' that will preserve your wedding memories (tangibly, at least)! There are a lot of really great pointers re: wedding photographers in a feature done by Christian Oth on stylemepretty.com a few days ago. I found it to be super helpful, I hope you will too!
1.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I only interviewed one photographer in person and really, it was because I had already poured over on-line albums of many photographers and gotten my short list that way. The one I interviewed with, had just the right personality that I felt I''d be comfortable working with her all throughout. In fact, even her e-mails reassured this. So yes. I''d say it matters. BUT there is a difference between someone simply coming across as awkward or socially stunted and being "difficult to work with". If you are happy with the work and the price, I wouldn''t worry too much about the personality if it isn''t a clash issue.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 2:48:19 PM
Author: mayachel
I only interviewed one photographer in person and really, it was because I had already poured over on-line albums of many photographers and gotten my short list that way. The one I interviewed with, had just the right personality that I felt I''d be comfortable working with her all throughout. In fact, even her e-mails reassured this. So yes. I''d say it matters. BUT there is a difference between someone simply coming across as awkward or socially stunted and being ''difficult to work with''. If you are happy with the work and the price, I wouldn''t worry too much about the personality if it isn''t a clash issue.
This sounds exactly like our lady. I liked her from the moment she opened her mouth, from her professionalism to how personal she was and also willing to negotiate with us. She also mentioned how important it is for the B & G to be comfy with their photog. One thing that really impressed me a lot is that she said she likes to go to the rehearsal and then memorizes all the names of all the players so on the wedding day it''s not "hey you." I really liked that about her.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I felt 100% comfortable with our photog. I think a comfortable relationship is a must as a lot of your photographs are very intimate.

We were also on a tight budget, and we found our photog on the second round of e-mails, calls, etc...

if you don''t feel 100% comfortable after you meet, then I''d pass. You''ll find someone!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
You definitely need to feel 110% comfortable with them. They will be all up in your business for 8-9+ hours on the big day, and as sunny said, it will show in pics if the relationship is awkward.

I am very lucky that we''re using FSIL''s photogs who were absolutely amazing with all of us at her wedding. They were like part of the wedding party, and made everyone feel so comfortable while they were taking pics.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
english was not my photographer''s first language so phone conversations were a little weird, but in person she was slight goofy and really nice. We felt very comfortable and it showed in our pics! If you are not comfortable, find another photographer!!!!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I actually want to have my photographer''s babies. Ok not that extreme but I ADORE her. I nag her with emails, am friends with her on faceboook and know her boyfriend. (He was our other choice for a photographer, we didn''t know they were dating, small world.) Communication is key and so is comfort because it will be reflected in your photos.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all the input, ladies. It''s defintely helpful and very much appreciated.

We''re meeting with Mr. Awkard-So-Far tomorrow night, and I''m hopeful that he''s just not a phone person, as sunny suggested. In the meantime, I''ve managed to dig up a few other possible photographers who look promising, so even if he doesn''t work out, we''ll have some more to investigate and interview.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I hope it goes well BUT if you have any doubts please don''t go with him, I felt sooooo uncomfortable with our photographer and taking pictures was an awful experience.

tropiqalkiwi

Shiny_Rock
Like everyone else has already said I would be hesitant to hire someone I didn''t feel comfortable with in person.

My wedding was in Chicago this past July and our photographer, Mark Sojdehee, was wonderful in case you end up needing to start your search again.

Best of luck to you, I know for me finding the right photographer felt like it took forever!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results