shape
carat
color
clarity

How did I do? Canadian diamond, EGL cert... Opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AEmgee

Rough_Rock
Hi to all you experts!

I just discovered this site and thought I would get some opinion about the following diamond (would be used as center stone for an engagement ring):

Canadian diamond - maple leaf inscribed with NWT-######
EGL (USA?) certified and also has government documentation stating its origin

Weight: 1.52 ct
Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.38-7.31 x 4.56 mm
Colour Grade: E
Clarity Grade: VS2

I don't have a copy of the certificate with me now so the only Proportion parameter I remember is Depth of 62.2%. I will post the other parameters when I get a hold of my copy.

I was quoted a price of US$13,190 for this stone. Any opinions please?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
People are going to need the other specs before making a more informed opinion. I mean, not even the polish and symmetry ratings were mentioned so it's harder to even do a Pricescope search of similar specced diamonds.

Also, find out exactly which EGL it is. I know the US one is supposed to be ok, but any EGL cert still makes me nervous. I know, I know, sometimes EGL is as strict as GIA, but having such a wide variance that it makes me nervous.

If you're still searching and have time, I HIGHLY suggest getting yourself an Ideal Scope so you can see for yourself how the diamond is without having to ask on here all the time. Not all vendors can give you all the specs or have IS images of the stone available.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, EGL may be fine but this is pretty high color so GIA sounds better. Not sure what the exchange rate is, but the price number could fit a GIA cert if USD. The maple leaf sign is supposed to mark that this diamond was mined in Canada - it doesn''t say anything about it''s certification of cut grade, it seems.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm discount for the egl cert and a premium for canadian origin.
Overall should be in line with other simular GIA graded stones from elsewhere price wise.
The egl cert on an E bugs me.
Usualy that high a color stone will be sent to gia to get the higher price out it if its a solid E.

AEmgee

Rough_Rock
Okay, I have the certificate in my hand now.

It's by EGL-USA. One of the two Canadian labs (Toronto or Vancouver) since the report number has CA in front of it - I think I would have to call to find out which one specifically.

PROPORTIONS:
Table width: 60%
Crown height: 14.2%
Girdle thickness: 1.6 - 2.5%
Pavilion depth: 43.9%
Culet: none
Two angles on the diagram: 35.6° and 41.4° (not sure what these are called)

POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Very Good

FLUORESCENCE: Faint

On the NWT Certificate of Authenticity:
"This diamond has been created by master cutters at Arslanian Cutting Works (NWT) Ltd."
"The Government of the Northwest Territories, Canada, hereby certifies this diamond as a natural CANADIAN ARCTIC diamond that was mined, cut and polished in the Northwest Territories. This diamond has qualified for certification by meeting the high standard of cut and other requirements established by the Government of the Northwest Territories Monitoring and Certification Programs."

More details about Canadian Arctic Diamonds: www.canadianarcticdiamond.com.

I thought the price was quite reasonable for this big stone so I said to put it aside for me...

However, I wanted two sidestones and this particular jeweller (who has been in business for nearly 20 years and comes recommended by others) only had uncertified stones on hand. He had two "ideal cut" 0.46 F's (one SI1 and one VS2) but he wanted "20% below Rap" plus "10% luxury tax" for these. I don't know if that is reasonable or not...

AEmgee

Rough_Rock
No comments from anybody here?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/19/2005 3:39:49 AM
Author: AEmgee
No comments from anybody here?

AEmgee,

Actually, you got several thoughtful answers above. If you want to use the pricescope search as a comparator, there are two adjustments that you will need to make.

The first is because your stone is of Canadian origin and is accompanied by the NWT report. The premium for this will vary somewhat but you can look at the sites of the dealers of these stones and get a pretty good idea what it's worth. I think NiceIce.com is an example just such a dealer.

The second premium is because YOU are in Canada. There is an import duty above and beyond the VAT that drives up prices there. I think it’s currently about 10% but I’m not sure and these things are inclined to change from time to time. Ask Revenue Canada and they should be able to tell you.The two angles are probably the crown angle and the pavilion angle.

For your side stones, the subject of idealness and the pricing relationship to Rap has been discussed at length in the tutorial and in other posts. Use the search box at the top right hand corner of this page to look for comments on these subjects. As with the center stone, they will be subject to the tax issue and perhaps the NWT issue as well.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DA is correct--the Excise Tax is an automatic 10% added to the price of precious jewellery/gems (costume jewellery as well), and one must also factor in provincial and good and services tax. If buying gems & jewellery locally, the excise tax is included (or hidden); but if buying across the border, one must add the tax(es) on top of the USA exchange, etc, etc. Likewise, when using the PS search engines to try and assess whether you "got a good deal buying Canadian diamond in Canada" you must calculate in all these other costs, since the prices are listed in USA only. Hope this makes sense.

cheers--Sharon

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rap - 20% for uncerted sounds high to me but I DONT KNOW THE CANADIAN DIAMOND MARKET!
The cost of doing business in Canada is very high with crushing taxes so it might be the going rate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results