shape
carat
color
clarity

How Clean Are Your Rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I also meant to add that when I''m not at home, I do not take my rings off. I wear them to bed in a hotel; don''t want to risk ever losing them.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2005 10:20:34 AM
Author: Odilia
I also meant to add that when I''m not at home, I do not take my rings off. I wear them to bed in a hotel; don''t want to risk ever losing them.

I am definitely the same way. Last year when we went to Las Vegas and we were lounging by the pool, I wore them. Even when I put on suntan oil and when I went into the pool for a swim. I did bring a baby toothbrush and a small bottle of windex with me to clean them in the hotel room, though.

They are insured, but I absolutely love this diamond and I can''t imagine having to find another one just like it again or having to settle for something else because nothing similar is available.

Also, with the way prices are, my insurance coverage might not even cover the cost of a new diamond of similar size, etc., let alone the setting and bands. I may have to increase my coverage amount, but as is, I am already paying over $1100 for the insurance premium, for just these three rings!
23.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah....nothing worst than DD.
14.gif
my wife doesn''t clean her rings very often.i have to clean it b/c i can''t stand DD.

Katty

Rough_Rock
I clean my rings every time I leave the house. Mostly it''s a very quick once-over (sometimes while it''s still on my finger, rinse very well!) and they get a serious cleaning once a week. I NEVER take them off, because I have suffered a tremendous heartbreak many years ago. I had my first ering stolen. I was young and took it off all the time just like you describe. It gives me the willies to read when you all say you take em off to wash, lotion, etc. I know you all are careful (I am sure totally psychotic-protective, even) but it only takes one little mistake.

When I went to the jewelry store to look for a plain band after my trauma, the lady said "It was off of your hand???" and I felt so stupid. I made it a personal policy to wear the ring at all times. That''s just me, though.

Kat

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
Oh my I thnk Im worse off that everyone here, I clean mine like 5 times a day at least! I cant even stand to see dust particles on my ring. Im overy obsessed,lol Then when I dry the diamond off, sometimes the paper towel leaves strings and I have to do it again. Im horrible.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
I love it! I thought I was being neurotic by cleaning my e-ring all the time, but I guess it''s kind of a "normal" thing (at least "normal" by PS standards).

I also wear my e-ring all the time. I wear it to sleep, when I wash my hands, and even to the gym as long as I''m not planning to do anything that''s going to damage it (i.e., weights)... However, if I''m going spinning or running for example, I''ll wear it since glancing down at its bright shininess makes me happy.

I do take it off when I shower, put on makeup / lotion / etc. and wash dishes.

I have a 16-month-old and she loves to put her tiny (but usually grimey) fingers on my ring whenever it catches her eye. *sigh* So young and already loves the bling~!

If I''m lazy, I''ll use a soft toothbrush and some soapy water...otherwise, I US it maybe every other day.
4.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

hehe i know this is an old thread but I still wear my rings all the time! I clean them once a day typically in the US.

I also wear my rings when GARDENING and digging in the mud and dirt with no gloves...HA HA I am sure you psycho PS''ers will love that (Ame would be passed out by now)...

I used to wear them when kickboxing but for the last year and a half I go to a place where we actually hit the bags and I think that was making my big stone come loose in the prongs due to the force of the hits (even though I wear gloves), so now I just wear my wedding ring and not the e-ring to class.

Other than that I wear them all the time. When making dinner, playing with chicken or making cookies or whatever...I don''t like taking them off because I feel like there are more ways to loose them or misplace them. If I take them off they go in my jewelry box upstairs.

5.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I just got back from an appraisal with Nancy Stacy, and she had the best tip...she said to throw out all of the jewelry cleaning solution jewelers give you and replace it with 100% ammonia (cleaning product section of grocery store, $1.99 for a huge bottle). Clean with baby toothbrush or interdental brush....to TOSS the little black brushes they come with. Replace ammonia when it loses its horrid ammonia stench.

NO solution ever worked as well as that!

I clean mine daily, because my asscher (and all step cuts) rely more on cleanliness than brilliants. The effect of the stone is gone if it is not clean.

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
How did I miss this old thread? OMG! I''m as anal as they come. I wear my rings and clean them all the time.

I clean them at least once a day if not more. I clean them with my tweety bird toothbrush and ammonia concoction. I steam and ultrasonic clean them once a week, sometimes one or the other but sometimes both.

I love it when my rings are sparkly after cleaning them. It bugs the heck out of me when someone wants to look at my rings and ends up touching them. I also make sure when I''m holding DH''s hands, that it has to be the right hand he holds and not the left one.

My Dh just laughs and giggles cause he knows how anal I am about keeping my rings sparkling.

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
What wallermama said is true my jeweler told me the samething, that ammonia is the best thing to use and also that you can''t clean your diamonds to much. Because if you go without cleaning them the dirt and stuff that gets down inbetween the prongs and the stone are what makes them come loose and your diamonds fall out. Also everyone knows the " don''t touch your diamonds " rule it goes for that to that the more you clean the less likely you are to get oil set and build up on your diamonds! So clean away girls!!!
31.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Want to hear something hilarious?

A salesperson at Tiffany said white vinegar with water really makes diamonds sparkle PLUS it''s repels residue. It totally works... though, it''s no miracle force field. STILL...It outperforms Mr. Clean and Windex...even ammonia and hot water!

I used to wear my e-ring everywhere... to the gym (lifting weights), to sleep & even GARDENING. But one of my prongs came loose. When I started reading up on how easy it is to chip diamonds (over time it''s inevitable - but invisible to the eye) I stopped. I read that sleeping with e-rings wears down prongs faster because we turn so much in the night and the fabric of the sheets really wears down the metal. Sounds crazy, but many jewlers say this as well.

So now I sleep with my ring in a box! It''s insured, but it''s so special to me. I never want to replace it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I may have responded to this thread earlier but here goes. My rings don''t get dirty. Why?? Cause I only wear them when I''m out of the house. Truth be told I don''t love wearing rings all the time. To me they are confining. Yeah totally wacked I know. I clean them every morning in the US and then once I am home they are on a ring holder.
20.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My rings are probably pretty clean. I haven''t been wearing them very often since I''ve been at home and won''t be able to wear them at work when I start. So I only wear them when we go out but not everywhere. I clean them once a week and then they sit in my jewelry box until I wear them.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2006 12:42:28 PM
Author: Mara

hehe i know this is an old thread but I still wear my rings all the time! I clean them once a day typically in the US.

I also wear my rings when GARDENING and digging in the mud and dirt with no gloves...HA HA I am sure you psycho PS''ers will love that (Ame would be passed out by now)...

I used to wear them when kickboxing but for the last year and a half I go to a place where we actually hit the bags and I think that was making my big stone come loose in the prongs due to the force of the hits (even though I wear gloves), so now I just wear my wedding ring and not the e-ring to class.

Other than that I wear them all the time. When making dinner, playing with chicken or making cookies or whatever...I don''t like taking them off because I feel like there are more ways to loose them or misplace them. If I take them off they go in my jewelry box upstairs.

5.gif

DIGGING IN THE DIRT?????? With your rings on? Oh my God! I instantly think about all of the little pebbles and sand and such in that dirt and I would just think about it scratching the diamond and the metal. Makes shivers go down my spine - really!!!! Guess it goes to show how durable diamonds really are but I would just hate to take the chance. I''m the person that is so careful with my rings that it would make you sick and yet I''ll be the one to somehow crack my stone in half one of these days by being careful! That kind of stuff always happens to me - the careful one. Go figure.

I agree with Kaleigh - I am not comfortable wearing my rings at home. I just don''t. I clean them as soon as I get home and put them away. Same with my watch. I just today got a SI ultrasonic. I kept watching them on ebay - the refurbished ones - but finally someone (not the SI store) listed one for sale. She said she had one and really liked it and got the second one as a gift and of course she didn''t need it. So she listed it with no reserve and I got it for $51. It was new in the box - still wrapped in the cellophane wrapper. I''ve been playing with it all night! It really does a good job but my rings are never really dirty to begin with. I don''t have any pave or intricate work in my rings to hold alot of dirt.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you know, you ladies are not the only loons who want their ring shiny and clean. My ring means a lot to me, and I don''t like washing my hands with soapy water when I have my ring on. I do take my ring off in restrooms and put it in a paper towel in my pocket and put it back on my finger after my hands are dry. I take a little pouch with me so when I go the gym after work my ring is safely protected. When I get home in the evening, I brush my friend with that purple stuff you can buy in the mall (it''s great) and put it in it''s little lined safe place and then once a week, I use my Jewel Jet Steam machine and my ring look''s like it just came from the jeweler.

We''re a bit "anal," which is why we''re responding to a thread on a diamond internet forum about "How Clean Your Rings Are!!!!!"

Loons I say.......we''re all Loons!!!
26.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 10:37:08 PM
Author: Rod
Just so you know, you ladies are not the only loons who want their ring shiny and clean. My ring means a lot to me, and I don''t like washing my hands with soapy water when I have my ring on. I do take my ring off in restrooms and put it in a paper towel in my pocket and put it back on my finger after my hands are dry. I take a little pouch with me so when I go the gym after work my ring is safely protected. When I get home in the evening, I brush my friend with that purple stuff you can buy in the mall (it''s great) and put it in it''s little lined safe place and then once a week, I use my Jewel Jet Steam machine and my ring look''s like it just came from the jeweler.

We''re a bit ''anal,'' which is why we''re responding to a thread on a diamond internet forum about ''How Clean Your Rings Are!!!!!''

26.gif
Oh you made me feel so much better Rod. I''m so glad I''m not the only loon. Good luck with your move!!
1.gif

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
When I get home I drop them into the jar of cleaner my jeweler gave me. In the morning I get up, I take them out brush them with the little cleaner brushie, then rinse them off and wipe with tissue paper. Whenever I have a little extra time which is at least 3-4 times a week, I''ll get out the US and Jewel Jet and spend about 10 happy minutes cleaning my rings. I just LOVE the way they look all clean and sparkly! I don''t wash dishes, or sleep with them. I do wear them to work and whenever I go out, no matter how casual the event, I''ll have my diamonds on! I must confess, I hate to shake hands because people smear my rings, isn''t that just terrible of me!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kaleigh.........After a really really really bad day, I''m spending the last few minutes of this day with my friends at PS. Tomorrow, I have to take down my computer and won''t have access to the internt until Monday, so to all my ''loony'' friends........I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I hope you find youself being envied by perfect strangers because your ring truly "shines." And I hope your diamond finds itself in places that makes it light up a room (like have you noticed that Starbucsk makes your diamond really sing?).

To all a great and sparkly weekend!
35.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2006 10:58:51 PM
Author: SuzyQZ
When I get home I drop them into the jar of cleaner my jeweler gave me. In the morning I get up, I take them out brush them with the little cleaner brushie, then rinse them off and wipe with tissue paper. Whenever I have a little extra time which is at least 3-4 times a week, I''ll get out the US and Jewel Jet and spend about 10 happy minutes cleaning my rings. I just LOVE the way they look all clean and sparkly! I don''t wash dishes, or sleep with them. I do wear them to work and whenever I go out, no matter how casual the event, I''ll have my diamonds on! I must confess, I hate to shake hands because people smear my rings, isn''t that just terrible of me!
Funny..........I never realized how many people feel they MUST touch your diamond?? I mean, really........don''t they realize their fingers are oily????????? I then have to secretly wipe my ring on my shirt to get the oil off. I''m a sick puppy, I know I am!!!

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Rod. I hear ya! I feel bad, but I HATE it when other people touch my ring, either when looking at it, or shaking hands. It''s like they''ve got to poke it! "So that''s what a 1.51 carat looks like?" poke! poke! poke! Ugh!!! When I walk with my husband, I put my hand through his arm, we don''t hold hands because I tell him "Careful, you''ll smudge my rings!" He laughs and thinks it''s funny of me.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my rings about every other day with windex and hot water then once a week I steam them with jewel jet. If I''m going out somewhere I definitely make sure they are clean.
I don''t wear them in the house alot. I do wear them on a daily basis but I have two small children that are messy enough and I really dont want to get my rings dirty dealing with them. Not to mention I could knock them around doing anything and everything within the house so I feel so much better knowing they are sitting in my box upstairs.

Mara...I can''t believe you dig in the dirt with them...I won''t even wash dishes with mine
3.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
This discussion always cracks me up!! I am such a *freak* apparently. I'm a serial stone toucher. GASP.
23.gif
(ducks for cover). Only my own. Only my own, I swear.

I likes touching it ... I dunno why. I touch it unconsciously - tap, tap, tap. Very tactile person I suppose. As opposed to you eagle-eyed smudge dodgers. *sigh*

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Dumb little newbie I am...I''m reading through these responses, wondering why it makes a difference whether or not you are cleaning your rings in the United States or not... US... OH! That stands for UltraSound!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Deco...I''m a stone toucher too. I think they are sexy. I''d just as soon stop touching my husband as my diamond. It''s so smooooooooooth.....

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 1:34:52 PM
Author: wallermama
I just got back from an appraisal with Nancy Stacy, and she had the best tip...she said to throw out all of the jewelry cleaning solution jewelers give you and replace it with 100% ammonia (cleaning product section of grocery store, $1.99 for a huge bottle). Clean with baby toothbrush or interdental brush....to TOSS the little black brushes they come with. Replace ammonia when it loses its horrid ammonia stench.

NO solution ever worked as well as that!

I clean mine daily, because my asscher (and all step cuts) rely more on cleanliness than brilliants. The effect of the stone is gone if it is not clean.
Just ammonia by itself? Do you add hot water or anything? I''ll have to try it
1.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
If my husband wants to annoy me...he pretends to put his fingertip on my diamond. If he actually wants to p*ss me off (or I p*ss him off)...he actually touches it! Stinking rotten bugger!

BTW. He thinks I need therapy for the "ring cleaning/polishing" issue! I need to show him this thread so he can see how normal I really am!
31.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I used to be a compulsive jewelry cleaner, but lately, i''ve been too lazy to care. Actually, i''ve stopped wearing rings because most of them are too darn loose on me, so they never get dirty. I do have this one ring that i don''t clean on purpose, just to see how dirty it''d get... but for some reason, even when i wore it all the time, it never got very dirty. It''s not fair... i wanna get gunk out of my rings!
3.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean my rings in the US about every other day, but every time I go somewhere, I wipe off any "smudges" with my shirt or rub the table on my pants to clean it, just in case anyone should ask to look at them, hee hee. I find it comforting that others do this as well--thank goodness for PS or I would think I was completely insane!
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 12:22:23 AM
Author: wallermama
Deco...I'm a stone toucher too. I think they are sexy. I'd just as soon stop touching my husband as my diamond. It's so smooooooooooth.....
Ahhh! A tactile touch-mate! (that sounds kinda dirty
31.gif
) I think hearing about other's ring touching phobia makes me WORSE too. Rebellion!
27.gif
Must.
11.gif
Touch.
11.gif
Stone.
11.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 10:37:08 PM
Author: Rod
We''re a bit ''anal,'' which is why we''re responding to a thread on a diamond internet forum about ''How Clean Your Rings Are!!!!!''

26.gif
I''m just sooooooo thanful I have a place where I can communicate with other Loons.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results