shape
carat
color
clarity

how big a deal is the rock, really?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gshanks

Rough_Rock
The more I read on pricescope, the more I seem to get the feeling that I really don''t consider my diamond purchase to be that big a deal. Most everyone here seems to be really into it...and that''s great. I know my GF will be blown away with whatever I get her, and I''m just looking for something basic, in the $2K-$2300K range, .7-.75ct princess, nice cut, g/h, s1+...the stones I''ve looked at at B&M''s all seem to look the same to me (regardless of specs), so I''m not really seeing the need to drive myself crazy or spend all kinds of time shopping around (which I''ve done already). Just want to find a nice on-line dealer, make the buy, be done with it, and move on.
Am I missing something here? Should I be more particular...?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think the point of PriceScope is make you really particular . . . sure, some people get really into it, but the important thing is to be informed.

Here''s a stone that seems to fit the bill:

0.73 G SI1 signature princess for $2290

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it takes hundreds of posts to make an educated diamond guess.

The little darn detail that diamonds are nice because of optics seems to take some getting used to, otherwise... allot of the chatter is just fun between two buys. Besides, PS makes some rather realistic exibit of how big a deal these rocks are for the receiving party
31.gif

gshanks

Rough_Rock
Oh, I don''t mind being particular. Pricescope has been invaluable in helping me learn to speak the "language". I just don''t want to drive myself nuts over something that might mean more to other folks than it does to me and my GF.

Great looking stone from DCD. I''m going to call them and a few others on Monday. They are all closed today!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Those of us who hang around chatting after we've purchased our diamonds do it because we find the whole thing interesting. My original purpose of coming here was to get educated about what makes a prettier diamond since they, in general, are sold according to weight, color and clarity and not necessarily by good cut. I found that out when comparing diamonds in the jewelry store. I was shown two diamonds, one of them a F color VVS2 1.05 carat and one an I colored SI1 .90 carat. The the smaller one looked bigger and brighter but was MUCH cheaper than the 1.05 carat. That was my cue that I didn't know enough about diamonds to make an educated purchase. I just wanted to get the most bang for my buck. Along the way I discovered the online diamond industry and found their prices to be about 40% less than what I was looking at with literally thousands to choose from. I was hooked and ended up being able to afford a much larger diamond than we'd budgeted for dealing with a jewelry store chain.

By the way, I've purchased 3 diamonds from DirtCheap and have been very pleased. I find their site the easiest to navigate to find exactly what I'm looking for. Be sure and mention that you are a Pricescope member to whomever you deal with.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2005 3:34:55 PM
Author:gshanks
... Am I missing something here? Should I be more particular...?
Yes, I think you''re missing the point.

The objective of most engagement rings is to show your beloved that you think she''s important. The emotional energy devoted to the shopping process is key. Realistically, you would probably do pretty well by ringing up one of the trusted dealers here, give them your budget, ring size and credit card number, and wait a few days for a package to arrive by fedex. The whole process will take about 5 minutes of your time. It''s nearly certain that you will get a reasonable value for your money and she''s very unlikely to complain.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

dameisers

Rough_Rock
gshanks~

I think it is wonderful that you made it to PS in the first place. You are educating yourself before you purchase. Your GF will love what you buy and it will be cherished for years to come.

I think the reason everyone here is "into it" is because we are diamond freaks. Most on this board sleep, eat and breath diamonds. If you are going to be freaky, do it with bling!
30.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Denver Appraiser makes a very good point. You don''t have to be a diamond guru to buy a great rock. Just work with a diamond guru and you''ll get a fabulous e-ring.

Just because you don''t see a difference doesn''t mean that others won''t. And they do, trust me. WOMEN DO!! Other women will notice that your gal''s stone is more firey and sparkles more than theirs does. They''ll wonder why her .75 looks the same size or bigger than their 1 carat diamond. Women can and do notice. And that performance,....... That fire,...... Those sparklies,....... That spread,......... It all comes from CUT.

So take a look at some Vendor''s websites. Just highlight Resources on the toolbar at the top of the page and click on Diamond Vendors. Compare their refund/return/upgrade policies. Call around and chat with a few. Use the Search function to check old threads by Vendor name and read about other''s buying experiences. Find a Vendor you are comfortable working with. Give them your budget and let the pro take over from there. Let them guide you and be your eyes for you. When you settle on some candidates, post the specs here for folks to help. People here are great at lending their time to help others along the way.

You don''t have to learn a lot, get yer panties all in a bunch, or even second guess yourself til you tear your hair out. It''s really easy to get her a diamond that will rock her world!!
1.gif

dobie

Rough_Rock
Don''t waste your time. Just go to your nearest Tiffany and buy one within your budget. The starting price is $920. Not sure what the squarish Lucida starts at. From what I hear, the markup for erings below 1 ct is quite reasonable and your FI will have a real Tiffany ering.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 3
6.gif
6.gif
1 AM
Author: dobie
Don''t waste your time. Just go to your nearest Tiffany and buy one within your budget. The starting price is $920. Not sure what the squarish Lucida starts at. From what I hear, the markup for erings below 1 ct is quite reasonable and your FI will have a real Tiffany ering.
HeeHee!! Dobie,.......... Dontchya know that Tiff threads are for Fridays???!!!
emwink.gif
emteeth.gif

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 3:26:10 AM
Author: pqcollectibles

emwink.gif
emteeth.gif
What''s the diff? Whenever someone mentions Tiff the responses are the same. I personally think the $920 ering is the best deal around. I don''t know what the minimum diamond size they use for erings. 25 pointers? So isn''t a classic Tiffany solitaire with a 0.25 ct RBC I VS2 in 18K YG worth $920? For $2440 he can get the much better looking solitaire with diamond band.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 3:42:33 AM

emwink.gif
emteeth.gif
What''s the diff? Whenever someone mentions Tiff the responses are the same. I personally think the $920 ering is the best deal around. I don''t know what the minimum diamond size they use for erings. 25 pointers? So isn''t a classic Tiffany solitaire with a 0.25 ct RBC I VS2 in 18K YG worth $920? For $2440 he can get the much better looking solitaire with diamond band.
or for $2440 you can get a much nicer e-ring from one of the vendors here.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 3
6.gif
6.gif
1 AM
forget about Tiffany....if i''m gonna bend over and grab my ankles i''ll do it at Harry Winston''s.

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 4:38:36 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
or for $2440 you can get a much nicer e-ring from one of the vendors here.
I don''t think you can get a knock-off of this ring with a 0.25 ct center stone cheap enough to get a much nicer e-ring from one of the e-vendors.

engagement_other_solitairediaband.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 54:20 AM

I don't think you can get a knock-off of this ring with a 0.25 ct center stone cheap enough to get a much nicer e-ring from one of the e-vendors.
The starting price reffers to quarter carat diamonds ?

Competitive or not, even the small rings sell for half their original price outside Tiffany... like this one or this
34.gif

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 5:35:38 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/13/2005 54:20 AM

I don''t think you can get a knock-off of this ring with a 0.25 ct center stone cheap enough to get a much nicer e-ring from one of the e-vendors.
The starting price reffers to quarter carat diamonds ?

Competitive or not, even the small rings sell for half their original price outside Tiffany... like this one or this
34.gif
No, I don''t know for sure. I''m only guessing it is 0.25 ct. I can call the local Tiff in the morning to find out.

So a used Tiff ering is still worth 50 to 75% of its original price? What do other used erings get?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2005 6:11:34 AM

No, I don''t know for sure. I''m only guessing it is 0.25 ct. I can call the local Tiff in the morning to find out.

So a used Tiff ering is still worth 50 to 75% of its original price? What do other used erings get?
The premium gets shaved off the vast majority of designer pieces: second-hand you get to pay for craftmanship alone... Tiffany or no Tiffany. So prices of brand and non brand get comparable, for comparable quality. Hope this makes sense... The replaceable catalog settings loose value compltely (as if thrown away).

With prices of retail varying so much, I don''t think the resale price is some constant percentage of the purchase price.

At least as far as I can tell.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2005 3:42:33 AM

emwink.gif
emteeth.gif
Sure, he''ll get something nice at Tiffanys and she can take the ring off every 5 minutes and ooh and ahh and the tiny little Tiffany''s stamp on the inside. If that means something to her then he should go for it and not waste his time learning anything here. There is no question that Tiffany''s selects fine diamonds for their pieces. A .26 carat RBC I VS2 "A Cut Above" hearts and arrows in 18K YG can be had from Whiteflash for $620, that''s quite a savings over $920. That''s kind of the point of coming here to PS and getting educated about what what else is out there- to save some money and still get something outstanding. That''s the reason Tiffany''s gets a bashing here, because people out to get the most for their money won''t get it at Tiffany''s. They''ll get a beautiful ring at a premium price there''s absolutely no doubt but, for those not as concerned with a designer stamp looking for a beautiful ring at a BETTER price then it''s worth spending the time learning and shopping around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results