shape
carat
color
clarity

How bad is it to buy from mall jewelers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I am planning to buy my fiance a 1.0ct eternity band for her wedding ring, I was planning to get it from signed pieces, but then for some reason I stopped into Jared. The signed pieces ring is G-H VVS-VS Ideal-Premium Cut; the Jared ring is H-I SI with no indication of cut quality. The Jared ring is $400 less. Who much of a difference will I see? How well graded are small stones (each stone is less than .05ct)? Ultimately is it worth the extra money?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 1:48:22 AM
Author:marqoid
I am planning to buy my fiance a 1.0ct eternity band for her wedding ring, I was planning to get it from signed pieces, but then for some reason I stopped into Jared. The signed pieces ring is G-H VVS-VS Ideal-Premium Cut; the Jared ring is H-I SI with no indication of cut quality. The Jared ring is $400 less. Who much of a difference will I see? How well graded are small stones (each stone is less than .05ct)? Ultimately is it worth the extra money?
Hmmm lets see. Ideal/Premium cuts an G/H VVS/VS or H/I SI with no indication of cut quality for $400 less.

Do you really need to ask?
2.gif

I would not spend something like $1600 in a branded or mall store when I could spend $2000 at a reputable place like SP and know EXACTLY what I was getting rather than wondering about cut quality.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
For $400, I would opt for the Signed Pieces, just because you know they stones have a good cut. The biggest problem I have with mall stores, is that they never tell you (or have any idea) what cut grade a stone is. I used to think they were pretty, but then I realized the lights in mall stores do wonders. After I got my ring, an AGS0, I went into a mall store to look at wedding bands for my fiance. Not only was mine waaay more sparkly than their diamonds, it looked just as large as their 1 ct and mine is only a .83.

I guess, bottom line, it really depends on what you and your fiancee like. If you really like the ring at the mall, go for it, but if I was you, I''d opt for the other one and avoid mall stores.

Agape

Rough_Rock
I have an eternity channel set from a mall store. Like the one you are looking at, the stones are very small. My salesperson actually told me the clarity and color of them. To me, those numbers do not matter as much because it is more of an accent to my e ring. The stores are a very good quality, despite the bad rep mall stores get :) I found mine cheaper in the mall store, and I bought it. My ering hoever, did from from a independent jewler, just because the diamond was bigger and is the showpiece, so to speak.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I think that''s all the encouragment I needed. I very much agree; her e-ring is a beautifully cut .75 AGS0; it is often mistaken for much larger and I wouldn''t trade it for anything. SP gets a call tomorrow.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2006 2:02:25 AM
Author: marqoid
I think that''s all the encouragment I needed. I very much agree; her e-ring is a beautifully cut .75 AGS0; it is often mistaken for much larger and I wouldn''t trade it for anything. SP gets a call tomorrow.
also....i would check with WF
2.gif
get a quote on ACA melees.
30.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 2:12:51 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 2/27/2006 2:02:25 AM
Author: marqoid
also....i would check with WF
2.gif
get a quote on ACA melees.
30.gif
Marqoid - you won''t regret paying extra, but as DF says, it''s worth getting a quote from WF, as their ACA melees are fabulous quality. Our appraiser was astonished to see such good quality .03 diamonds in my e-ring and wedding band. WF really do good quality stuff.

luckystar

Rough_Rock
WF has ACA Tiny diamonds? So I can get well cut sidestones? Wow!!!!

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 1:14:44 PM
Author: luckystar
WF has ACA Tiny diamonds? So I can get well cut sidestones? Wow!!!!
They are so well cut you can actually see the tiny little arrows in them. Even in 3 pointers.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me I would totally pay the additional $400 for the increase in quality.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can't be bad to buy from anywhere, as long as the seller is legitimate and you know what you are getting.

There's this pesky habit of at least part of jewelry sellers or inflate grade or whatever quality specs apply to some piece in order to make it sound like a bargain. If you don't know to tell what is what for yourself, that sort of pit is easy to fall in. Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes the price is ok for what the thing is (despite 'optimistic' labeling), sometimes way inflated. And this is why seller's reputation is not free.

My 2c

IMO, no rule of thumb applies to 'mall jewelers' (what do I know who is selling in your local Mall?). I would rather not expect a good price from a shop meant to sell in volume and survive from cost cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results