shape
carat
color
clarity

How bad can a 68/62 square emerald be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
Hi guys.
We have now found a generic asscher....

4.01 cts.
8.84 x 8.79
G
VS2
ex
ex
no flur.
no cutlet
depth 68
table 62

are we finding something we should serously consider?

should that give us the ten mile deep look we want with concentrc squares?

WE think this could be the one?

OHF

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you call any of these unpleasant ? There are quite a few more versions feasible keeping size, table and depth pinned down as given.
No reason to believe all 68-62 square Ecs look the same. It is just unfortunate that there is only at most one choice at a time.

(models generated by the GemCalc software)

ThreeSquare.JPG

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
looks nice on paper--you will need to see it--for that $$ you may want to see a few side by side.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It may turn out to be quite nice but you won''t know until you see it or have an appraiser look at it.

Bakerboy

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a generic asscher and with the specs being 67.7/61. I had seen
a few others and the one I was comparing it with had very similar specs. As I can attest, these stones CAN sparkle and the stone will ''speak'' to you when they''re right on. What the others are saying is VERY true, these stones must be seen. I would have a few stones picked out in the 65-70D/57-63T range and go see them side by side. The crown height is also of importance, though most don''t list it. I think you need a sarin for it. With the amount of dough you''re going to put into this purchase, you''re going to need to fall in love with it...so don''t rush it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/29/2004 12:28:45 PM
Author: Bakerboy

I would have a few stones picked out in the 65-70D/57-63T range and go see them side by side...
Well, this does sound like one expensive exercise for the jeweler (for everyone, ultimately). But it's not just this - where are these stones? There's just one barely matching weight and grades around here and there is no knowing if the price is anywhere competitive.

With more choices hard to come buy, seeing just one at a time may be the only way
7.gif

Is this shortage ? Holiday season drought ? Are these squares always few and far between ? Just curious.

twilight

Rough_Rock
There are extreme shortages in the 3-4 carat size stones and has been for the last 1 year. These sizes are fetching higher premiums than 1.5-2 caraters that are more common and where price competition is more of a factor. I don''t see many jewelers even the best ones having a selection of 4 carat stones around. What people have to remember is that diamonds are a commodity, a beautful commodity but one nonetheless. As a commodity price is heavily impacted by shortages and demand just like oil gold or other commodities.
My advice to you would be this: shop around if you can and try to see at least another stone to compare. I don''t know how easy that''s going to be in today''s diamond climate and the type of stone you''re looking for. At the end of the day people can give you advice on depth and other measurements on stones but these are just preferences. There are no ideal measurements for asschers, heck even GIA only now is finalizing ideal measurement specifications for rounds and even that has so many variables as to be almost unusable for the common consumer. Good luck.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
As always I appreciate everyone''s insightful and thoughtful input....

For those of you unfamiliar with our posts, my fiance''s search started in late August and has been an ongoing process since then. He actually prosposed in mid-Novemeber and it has been a joint effort in finding the "right" stone since then. We have seen in person two stones and of those two, one has stuck out in our mind. The other didn''t impress us.

The proportions of that stone we do like are very different from the 68/62 and should give a better overall look. We would have loved to have been able to line several up side by side, but soon realized that was a dream and would more than likely NEVER be a reality. Had I realized what this search would entail what it has I would have never set my mind on this stone.

Now, we are trying to be patient and take advantage of whatever options seem to be the best for our specs and budget.

Maybe this one is "the one" and maybe it isn''t......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results