shape
carat
color
clarity

How Are You Guys SHIPPING Stuff?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I see all these expensive things flying from here to there-- 2 carats sent from NY dealer, 5 carat from East Nowhere to New Jersey-- so how are you guys shipping these things?!!

Is it US Postal Service? If so, using what service? Express, Priority, Registered, what?

Or is it FedEx or UPS?

I've gotten things a couple of different ways, and it seems the vendors just ship it, cross their fingers, and don't even have insurance.

Over the years, my DH has lost one laptap via FedEx, a $300 item via USPS, and had checks stolen via US mail. FedEx didn't pay a penny of the insurance claim, USPS didn't pay on the $300 item (Paypal came through on that), and we had to cancel and hand carry new checks.

I don't get how anybody sends anything, anywhere. :sick:

I might have to send something off, but I'm paranoid.

How do send stuff within the US? Or how did you receive some of this pricey stuff?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have sent things all manner of ways! To some degree, it depends on what it is. For example, Fed Ex does not cover any gemstones that are lost in transit - that is, there is no insurance for these items. That said, Fed Ex does seem potentially less likely to lose things, so often people choose this method.

The other way I've had luck is to send it USPS Priority Registered. I started doing this when I had high value items after talking to a number of the USPS employees, who all made it clear that, from their own experience and post office lore, registered - where its completely sealed up in that brown postage tape, locked up separately at night and hand delivered - is the way they would go if it was their item. HTH.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have had jewelry shipped via FedEx and UPS, fully insured, and it is shipped according to specific requirements (like a box inside of a box). When I received my re-designed wedding ring, for example, it was shipped in a small box, inside a medium box, and there was a label on the small box that said that there could be a monitoring device inside if tampered with. It was also fully insured and I had to pick it up at my nearest FedEx location, where it was stored behind lock and key. They also don't "advertise" what's inside (no jewelry store name, etc.).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
USPS registered and insured.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
If it's really expensive, I've used USPS Registered/Insured with no problem. Up to a certain amount, I am comfortable with Priority with Insurance and if it's something I am getting from a vendor (like looking at a stone before buying) I try to get a prepaid label from them for mailing for return. It's not much more expensive to do that than USPS Registered, and I don't have to reveal values to anyone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If it is over 2.5k I typically spend the money and do fed ex overnight. When I was having Venice reset I went through VC's shipping service which used fed ex overnight as well.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use USPS up to $25,000.
I expect it to take the full 15 days and am pleasantly surprised when delivery is faster.
Above $25K I'll use Malca Amit.

Paying extra for USPS Registered faster delivery is a scam, but that doesn't stop the clerks from offering it to make more money. :angryfire:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Malca Amit - interesting!

I wish I had known about them when I used Brinks to ship The Brick back to Kelege. I was not overly impressed with that service. Fortunately the jewler paid for it becuase it was quite a bit of $.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Not that I'll ever need to worry about something over 25 grand, but who is Malca Amit? Never heard of them.

--- Laurie

P.S. This subject makes me think of my grandfather, who was a braggart, a blowhard, & an idiot. He mailed my grandmother's silver to my cousin, put it in regular parcel post, a warning on the package in big black letters: "FRAGILE. STERLING SILVER FLATWARE." What a lamer! Thanks to the gods of happiness, it arrived okay. P.O. workers deserve a high five for that one!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Up to $25K, I use USPS registered because they will only insure up to that amount. Insurance is an added fee. If more than that, I would ask the vendor if he will assist me with insurance using FedEx since FedEx does not insure. UPS will only insure jewellery or mounted stones, not loose stones but I don't know the cap. If it is inexpensive, I would just use priority mail or buy the Post Office insurance. I think the limit is $200. I know of a few PSers who've used Brinks for very high priced items.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1367881659|3441583 said:
If it's really expensive, I've used USPS Registered/Insured with no problem. Up to a certain amount, I am comfortable with Priority with Insurance and if it's something I am getting from a vendor (like looking at a stone before buying) I try to get a prepaid label from them for mailing for return. It's not much more expensive to do that than USPS Registered, and I don't have to reveal values to anyone.

This.

For most of my stuff I do USPS Priority with insurance, or USPS overnight with insurance.

I have never had a package lost with USPS, though I have had some go on walkabouts. I have had multiple packages lost with both UPS and FedEx, so I really don't trust them. I lose at least one a year with both of those services, and also have many more damaged packages with them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1367924781|3441844 said:
Not that I'll ever need to worry about something over 25 grand, but who is Malca Amit? Never heard of them.

I only found out about them because I collect fancy colored diamonds and have received 20 shipments from Leibish in Israel.
All but three came via FedEx.
The red, green and blue ones came via Malca Amit.
They can send an armored truck to your home.
If you'd rather avoid that kind of attention you can travel to one of their offices to pick up your goodies.

http://www.malcaamit.com

They specialize in secure shipping of high value gems, precious metals bullion, and fine art.

I think there's a good chance that at some stage the diamonds we all have were shipped in a parcel by Malca Amit.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, so far, so crappy! :sick:

I went to the post office, I had to completely unwrap my package then rewrap with their ridiculous brown paper tape. They stamped it all over, then took the package away.

I did registered mail, priority mail.

So the tracking shows me dropping it off on the 7th, then it shows "dispatched to sort facility" that same day.

And that's it. No further tracking or movement since the 7th.

It says "expected delivery May 9th".

Well yesterday was the 9th and it there's still no further tracking.

What a bunch of BS.

I think the mail people just stole it, and that's it. Why not? No skin off their nose, the PO pays the claim, and they get free stuff!

They need to put cameras all over those PO's, it's full of thieves! :cry:

bebe

Ideal_Rock
iLander, that's really scary. I hope you get some news real soon.

I've made the decision to never ship anything again if I can avoid it. Heck, I'll hand carry whatever it is. Totally worth
the airfare if it's an expensive item. My ring was shipped by Brinks and the shipper sent it to the wrong city! Ekkk!!

My son's ER was just finished and we needed to get it to him - he is a day's drive away. We considered all forms of
shipping and finally decided we didn't want to take the chance. We have a close friend hand carrying it on his flight
there soon. And I'm sure that opens up another set of problems :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
USPS registered mail. Tracking doesn't update right away and it takes longer than their estimate usually.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, don't freak out about the tracking. USPS has horrible tracking. I'm sure your package is on its way :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Priority is a waste on registered shipping. It does not get there any faster. Their online update sucks too and it takes a package 1 week to arrive at a place I can drive to in less than 6 hours. Give the PO a call; often the postmaster can pull up more accurate info for you.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
It's in New York! :D It's in New York! :D

YAY! :appl:

It showed up on the tracking this a.m., and it's somewhere in NY, so it's on it's way! :appl:

Thank you guys, :wavey: :wavey: for making me feel better and keeping me calm.

I won't bother putting Priority on a registered package again, and I'll just try to be calmer in the future. :)

Stupid post office :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results