shape
carat
color
clarity

How are these measurements for a round?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decapr

Rough_Rock
After reading this forum I became curious as to the cut on my diamond (which I got 16+ years ago but I''ve just upgraded the setting so now my interest has been sparked) Yes I tried to post pics of my new setting but the darn camera won''t focus
8.gif

Anyway, I tried to run my stone through the cut advisor but didn''t have (or couldn''t figure out the angles)
I remember when the stone was purchased (at Charleston Alexander) that they ''raved'' about the cut so I''m curious.

It''s a .88 VS1 F round

Measurements 6.27 - 6.37 x 3.60mm

Depth 57%
Table 66%
Girdle very thin to thick faceted
Cutlet None
Polish good
Symmetry good
Flourescence None

This GIA apprasal is from 1989 !

So what do you think?
Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The depth is shallow and it has a big table, but I can imagine it looks bigger for it's carat weight with the shallow depth and big table so there are some pluses
31.gif
I can imagine it is a bright diamond. Can't tell much else as the crown and pavillion angles are needed and I am just an armchair observer like many of us! It isn't an ideal cut obviously but it still could be a beautiful diamond with lots of brilliance, you obviously love it and that is all that matters! I know what you mean with the curiosity, you just want to see out of interest how it matches up with today's specs. The diameter measurements suggest it has a large spread for it's weight, the round shape may be slightly out of kilter but many diamonds aren't perfectly round so no worries. Maybe the experts can chime in for you? Don't get too hung up on the numbers with the diamond you have, you love it so don't question it too much as you have had it so long, numbers don't tell the whole story but they are a tool to start off with and some diamonds with less than perfect numbers are stunning in the flesh! We here at PS are numbers fiends, but it isn't the rest of the world and I am sure your diamond is more beautiful than many you see!

With the pics, use macro mode ( the little flower icon on the camera) and no flash, also use a tripod or rig something up to steady the camera and take the pics outside with the sun behind you. This should help, there are some threads on taking pics if you use the search tool, also it is usual to take lots of pics and maybe only one or 2 are usable out of every 50 snaps, so don't give up - it can take time!

Also if you are getting interested in this stuff, an Idealscope might be a good toy for you to look at diamonds. Also don't forget that diamond cut grading has moved on at an incredible pace since you purchased this diamond, especially in the last couple of years with the internet purchasing.

decapr

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 7:41:07 AM
Author: Lorelei
The depth is shallow and it has a big table, but I can imagine it looks bigger for it''s carat weight with the shallow depth and big table so there are some pluses
31.gif
I can imagine it is a bright diamond. Can''t tell much else as the crown and pavillion angles are needed and I am just an armchair observer like many of us! It isn''t an ideal cut obviously but it still could be a beautiful diamond with lots of brilliance, you obviously love it and that is all that matters! I know what you mean with the curiosity, you just want to see out of interest how it matches up with today''s specs. The diameter measurements suggest it has a large spread for it''s weight, the round shape may be slightly out of kilter but many diamonds aren''t perfectly round so no worries. Maybe the experts can chime in for you? Don''t get too hung up on the numbers with the diamond you have, you love it so don''t question it too much as you have had it so long, numbers don''t tell the whole story but they are a tool to start off with and some diamonds with less than perfect numbers are stunning in the flesh! We here at PS are numbers fiends, but it isn''t the rest of the world and I am sure your diamond is more beautiful than many you see!

With the pics, use macro mode ( the little flower icon on the camera) and no flash, also use a tripod or rig something up to steady the camera and take the pics outside with the sun behind you. This should help, there are some threads on taking pics if you use the search tool, also it is usual to take lots of pics and maybe only one or 2 are usable out of every 50 snaps, so don''t give up - it can take time!

Also if you are getting interested in this stuff, an Idealscope might be a good toy for you to look at diamonds. Also don''t forget that diamond cut grading has moved on at an incredible pace since you purchased this diamond, especially in the last couple of years with the internet purchasing.
Thanks for your reply, it is a very pretty diamond but after reading so much on here I decided to look at the specs! Mistake but still it''s pretty and has allot of fire. Annoying though that Charleston Alexander raved and raved about it being a perfect cut when really it wasn''t. It''s nice that all these tools are now available for people who are buying their diamonds so t hey don''t have to rely on the salesperson''s ''knowledge or lack thereof''.
I''ll try the camera again, I think I gave up too soon and although I tried the macro mode only did a few shots. I''ll try again in the sun with the flash off and macro on...thanks for the tips!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats the thing, you purchased with your eyes which are still the best tool we have and the info just wasn''t available back then - I am sure it is a stunner! Also opinions can vary as to what is the " best" and the numbers are an essential tool for internet purchasing but no substitute for what your eyes tell you! They just give you a place to start! There are many diamonds out there with far far worse proportions than yours being worn and admired by very happy owners - so just enjoy it and please practise your camera shots so we can get a pic!
31.gif
Remember you can take loads of pics and maybe just strike it lucky with one or 2 good ones, so keep going!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like Lorelei said, I''m sure your diamond is beautiful. Yes, we''re all number crunchers here at PS. But, I recently purchased my first high quality diamond and even though when I made my purchase, I wasn''t as informed as I am today, I personally selected a larger table''d stone out of numerous other stones that I could have adopted.

Beauty is in your eyes and I hope you will just treasure that beautiful diamond on your finger and not obsess over some silly numbers.

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results