shape
carat
color
clarity

House cleaning... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love microfiber cloths for cleaning. You can reuse them over and over on all types of surfaces, so they''re a green alternative to paper towels or pre-moistened wipes. I just put them in a separate pile and wash them with my other towels (I use vinegar instead of fabric softener when I wash towels). You''re not supposed to wash MF cloths with fabric softener.

I also use MF cloths to mop the floor. I have some that are large enough to attach on to my swiffer duster. I spray down the floor with cleaner and then mop with the swiffer and MF.

For dishes I use a sponge with a non-scratch scrubby side. Toilet I use a brush.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I am a big fan of Chlorox Wipes because they''re antibacterial. I also like "flour sack" cloth. It''s not linty and washes easily and wont'' scratch anything. I swear by the Magic Eraser for everything from scuff marks, messy stove top, tub, etc. Windex of course, too.

For deeper cleaning I use vinegar and baking soda. I don''t like to use lots of bleach or other harsh chemicals.

For my floors I use Lysol (big bottle that you can dilute).

Remember to pay attention to what chemicals you''re using at the same time. My sis is getting ready to move and was scouring the bathtub and then started washing down walls. Within minutes she passed out right off her ladder.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second the magic eraser! Forgot to mention that in my last post.

Never, never, never mix ammonia and bleach!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the cleaning products I use:

Laminate bathroom and pergo wood hallway and kitchen floors: Lysol floor cleaner that comes in a big bottle and you dilute with water and a sponge type of mop/bucket

Bathrooms and kitchen: Lysol multi surface cleaner and Viva paper towels (I like the micro fiber cloth idea -- I''ll think about switching)

Tub/showers: I''m not brand loyal, so right now I''m using Scrubbing Bubbles gel and a scrubbing brush with bristles

Toilets: Clorox disposable sponge type things that lock into a specific white plastic toilet brush holder. When you''re done cleaning the toilet, flick the switch and drop the sponge into the trash. I like using these because you don''t need to use an additional cleaner -- it''s built into the sponge.

Rugs: We have two cats and once a month I help freshen up the wall to wall carpeting by sprinkling baking soda on it. I let it sit for a while and then vacuum it up. I''ve heard it''s supposed to work. Who knows though -- the carpet doesn''t look cleaner but it smells pretty good.

Probably once or twice a year we hire a professional carpet cleaning service to steam clean our carpet. We have''t been in this condo for long, but we''ll probably have it cleaned at least once while we''re here.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Kitchen: Green Works all purpose cleaner and Scrubbing Bubbles for baked on stuff on the stove (sometimes I'll finish with Windex because it's black and the Scrubbing Bubbles do leave some streaks, but that's only if I'm being picky)

Bathroom: Windex for the counters and mirror; Scrubbing Bubbles for the tub; Tilex to spray on the tiles (I just spray and leave it on, then the residue rinses off when someone takes a shower); Clorox toilet cleaner with a brush (though I kind of want to get those disposable ones now)

Floors: I have a swiffer wet (not with the jet thingy) that I got for free, but I honestly hate it because I feel it just pushes stuff around. I'll clean with it, then when everything dries again I'll find bunny hair still all over the floor (bunny hair is much more cottony than dog or cat hair and can be tricky to clean without sending up a cloud, though it does have less sticking power to carpet). I prefer to sweep the floors first, then I'll go over it with the swiffer wet or just a wet terry cloth towel on my hands and knees (usually reserve hands and knees for the kitchen since it's dirtier than, say, the floors in the dining room). I don't really use any cleaning product other than what's already in the swiffer cloths (I usually have to re-wet with water because they only stay wet for about one room). I don't feel comfortable with cleaning products on the floor since the bunny runs around there so I'm fine with just water.

Pet stuff: 50/50 white vinegar and water. Works like a charm and neutralizes any pee smell. Safe for pets and kids. I don't like to use it everywhere because the vinegar smell is annoying to me and I don't really want my whole house to smell like it (though once it dries I can't really smell it anymore).

ETA: I use paper towels for most things, because I find cloths get too dirty too fast and I go through a ton. But I do buy "bar towels" at Bed Bath & Beyond that are just terry cloth towels. I love these for dusting (just get a little damp or use pledge) and floor cleaning. I save the paper towels for kitchen and bathroom mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results