shape
carat
color
clarity

Hoping for Some Advice on a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KLM14

Rough_Rock
I have been doing reserach for a diamond for the last two months. Unfortunately, I was depending heavily on Fred Cuellar''s book. Upon giving the details of what I wanted to a local diamond broker in town, they found two different stones. Both of these were dismissed as "warped" when I corresponded with the Diamond Guy.

Here is my last correspondence with him:

Q OK Fred, here we go. A follow-up to my last post. We have a new diamond to consider (beautiful!!). The readings are reportedly from a Sarin. 3.03 carat, E, VS1, Diam = 9.44-9.48,T Depth=60.6%, Crown Angle = 33.8 deg (33.5 - 34.3), Crown Height = 15.2% (14.9-15.6), Pavil Angle=40.4 deg (40.4-40.5),Pav Depth=42.3% (41.8-42.4), Culet=0.1%, Table Size=54.3% (53.8-54.8),Girdle=1.4% (1.0-1.7). GIA cert states EX polish, EX symmetry, Fluorescence=NONE A few questions: 1) Is this a Class I diamond? The min Crown angle (while OK to your specs) is below 34 degrees. Pav depth below 42.52%. The AGS guidelines (given by broker) show all AGS 0. 2) Girdle Thickness and Warping - Girdle is as stated above but picture included showed girdle measurement as 2.8%. If I do warp calc with 1.4%, we are shy. If we use 2.8%, we are OK. Is the girdle thickness halved or doubled? Why the difference between sarin calc and sarin picture? 3) Cost - $77,400. If I use your cost charts, this is roughly equal to cost indicated plus 15% (as indicated for a class I diamond). Good deal given above? or not class I and overpriced. Thanks, by the way, for sending your 5th edition. I appreciate it. KLM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hi Kevin, Q1. No. Q2. Remember total depth percentage should equal crown height plus maximum girdle thickness percentage plus pavilion depth percentage within .5%. Here I have 15.6 + 1.7 + 42.4 = 59.7 which is .9% away from total depth of 60.6%. So it’s warped. Based on that info, a fair price to pay for this diamond is $50,449.50. The Diamond Guy Helper

-----------------------------------------

Need less to say that I will not be depending on his advice going forward. Note the discussion on the girdle that is covered in your girdle part of the tutorial.

OK - so a few questions for this forum:

1) For this diamond, what should I be worrying about to ensure that the price is accurate? I have two "different" Sarin reports that this as AGS 0. Is this enough? Is this ideal?

2) THe HCA shows 0.7% but ""spread" is only "very good" not "excellent". Is this a concern?

3) Is the price correct for these specs?

I am WIDE OPEN to advice on this stone - it is a large purchase - she is a special girl. My diamond borker searched high and low for this (2-3 others rejected) and has it out for showing to me at this point. Forgetting all of these numbers (I am an engineer so that numbers are important), it is a gorgeous stone. I have GIA cert and Sarin reports.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

KLM

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 7:25:32 AM
Author:KLM14

I have been doing reserach for a diamond for the last two months. Unfortunately, I was depending heavily on Fred Cuellar''s book. Upon giving the details of what I wanted to a local diamond broker in town, they found two different stones. Both of these were dismissed as ''warped'' when I corresponded with the Diamond Guy.

[...] 3) Cost - $77,400. If I use your cost charts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hi Kevin, Q1. No. Q2. [...] Based on that info, a fair price to pay for this diamond is $50,449.50.

The Diamond Guy Helper

Need less to say that I will not be depending on his advice going forward.

Wait a minute! If he can give you the same 27k cheaper
9.gif
why the Hell not! For the money, I''d let them call it ''warped'' if they so wish.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 7:43:58 AM
Author: valeria101

I have been doing reserach for a diamond for the last two months. Unfortunately, I was depending heavily on Fred Cuellar''s book. Upon giving the details of what I wanted to a local diamond broker in town, they found two different stones. Both of these were dismissed as ''warped'' when I corresponded with the Diamond Guy.

[...] 3) Cost - $77,400. If I use your cost charts.

A Hi Kevin, Q1. No. Q2. [...] Based on that info, a fair price to pay for this diamond is $50,449.50.

The Diamond Guy Helper

Need less to say that I will not be depending on his advice going forward.

Wait a minute! If he can give you the same 27k cheaper
9.gif
why the Hell not! For the money, I''d let them call it ''warped'' if they so wish.
I agree with Ana, the only thing I can add is that I do not believe after much reading and discussion and becoming as learned as I can regarding warped diamonds that such a diamond exists
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
JMO. I wouldn''t lose any sleep over this fab sounding diamond being " warped" in any way. However as Ana says, if you can get a huge discount from the vendor if in his opinion it is warped - heck YES!
11.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyway.... a step up in cut quality over the AGS0 could be H&A cut looking like this one sold not so long ago by one of the shops participating to this forum.

There aren''t too many diamonds like that around - no wonder. But one (LINK) comes close even on a quick search. There must be more.

Best of luck !
1.gif

KLM14

Rough_Rock
Note that I am not buying diamond from Fred. $77K is the discount price from my borker, $50K is Fred''s opinion.

KLM

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my opinion boith 77k and 50k are smking dope numbers for that diamond.
Someplace in the 60s would be more like it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
using the charts here:
https://www.pricescope.com/RepScope.asp

1A cut which is the best in that system:
shows a high of 23801 per ct and a low of 23182.
$72117 as the high and $70241
Seems high based on comps Id still say that high 60s would be more resonable.
I havent ran the numbers to see if it would make a 1a cut so you could knock some off if it isnt a 1a.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Strm, just out of interest I ran a search and it looks like comparable ones as far as I can tell without trying to calculate cut quality are in the mid to high sixties too. $77k is a lot to pay, it is entirely up to you of course how much this particular diamond is worth to you or if you would rather have a big chunk of change to put towards the wedding or your home depending on your situation and look some more - of course this may not be a concern.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut actualy comes out to a 1b.
there arent enough 3ct 1b e/vs1 in the data the pricing graphs use to set a price but it looks like 1b runs around ~3.5% less than 1a.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/26/2005 7:55:21 AM
Author: KLM14
Note that I am not buying diamond from Fred. $77K is the discount price from my borker, $50K is Fred''s opinion.

KLM
I know, I know... but 50k is very low, surprisingly low, allot less than I can hope to find anywhere for that sort of thing (well, a decently cut round let alone AGS''s ''ideal''). So it was funny to read their comment.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The readings are reportedly from a Sarin.

3.03 carat,
E, VS1,
Diam = 9.44-9.48,
T Depth=60.6%,
Crown Angle = 33.8 deg (33.5 - 34.3),
Crown Height = 15.2% (14.9-15.6),
Pavil Angle=40.4 deg (40.4-40.5),
Pav Depth=42.3% (41.8-42.4),
Culet=0.1%,
Table Size=54.3% (53.8-54.8),
Girdle=1.4% (1.0-1.7).

GIA cert states
EX polish,
EX symmetry,
Fluorescence=NONE

Why the difference between sarin calc and sarin picture?

This is common - that is as good as it gets. And this is why direct evaluation is better than numbers.

3) Cost - $77,400.

If this is fine with you, ok. I would want H&A symmetry for it.
BN''s AGSo E-VS2 for 63k sounds tempting and for what that matters, there are other GIA grades in the same league listed among the ICE3 collection at icestore.com FYI.

It is not that this one is not worth it, but I feel that E-VS1 falls a tad int he category of grades that value something well beyond visible quality (lack on inclusions and colorlessness) which cease all over the D-F and VS region anyway.

OK - so a few questions for this forum:

1) For this diamond, what should I be worrying about to ensure that the price is accurate? I have two ''different'' Sarin reports that this as AGS 0. Is this enough? Is this ideal?

See the BN AGS0 and the H&A in my previous post... If that extra cut pedigree makes a difference relative to your find, I am not 300% certain. Internal symmetry (H&A) would if your stone is far from it. The other diamonds - no idea. The list at Icestore has some items suitable for price comparison.

2) THe HCA shows 0.7% but ''''spread'' is only ''very good'' not ''excellent''. Is this a concern?

No. I don''t even know what that ''spread'' factor is. The difference between Ex and Vg there might be an invisible fifth of a milimeter of diamter. Wo cares?

My 0.2
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results