shape
carat
color
clarity

Hopeless M needs E-ring help for no-nonsense GF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

louieprovo

Rough_Rock
I''ve been searching for engagement rings for about a month. I know almost nothing about jewelry.

My girlfriend is a designer who wears no jewelry whatsoever. I''ve never seen her wear a ring, necklace, etc in the almost 4 years we''ve been dating, but she does have her own sense of style.

Whatever I pick out for her, it needs to be simple and unobtrusive. She works with her hands all day (saws, hammers, you name it). So I don''t want the stone catching on stuff.

And you gotta love this - she once told her best-friend that her jewelry was too shiny.

Any thoughts, or recommendations? I sort of like the Niessing tension rings (flat in grey gold). But, as I mentioned, she''s quite handy, and I''m petrified she''ll knock a diamond loose.

Here''s what I''m looking at:http://niessing.com/mb/showComp?nav=tensionrings_spannringflach&backtrack=yes&lan=en&pagename=GridPage&skin=niessing&cou=uk&wosid=Z4nYbiLbIF2pyeIbCmEyq0

Also, I''m in Los Angeles, so anything local would be a bonus.

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/25/2009 6:39:22 PM
Author:louieprovo
I''ve been searching for engagement rings for about a month. I know almost nothing about jewelry.

My girlfriend is a designer who wears no jewelry whatsoever. I''ve never seen her wear a ring, necklace, etc in the almost 4 years we''ve been dating, but she does have her own sense of style.

Whatever I pick out for her, it needs to be simple and unobtrusive. She works with her hands all day (saws, hammers, you name it). So I don''t want the stone catching on stuff.

And you gotta love this - she once told her best-friend that her jewelry was too shiny.

Any thoughts, or recommendations? I sort of like the Niessing tension rings (flat in grey gold). But, as I mentioned, she''s quite handy, and I''m petrified she''ll knock a diamond loose.

Here''s what I''m looking at:http://niessing.com/mb/showComp?nav=tensionrings_spannringflach&backtrack=yes&lan=en&pagename=GridPage&skin=niessing&cou=uk&wosid=Z4nYbiLbIF2pyeIbCmEyq0

Also, I''m in Los Angeles, so anything local would be a bonus.
I immediately thought of this ring... I can''t remember who it belongs to
I can dig a little deeper if its something you''re interested in

mattesemi.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
I agree with paeony- a bezel or half bezel in a brushed/satin (''flat'') finish would be a great option, I think.

Something like this? The Keystone

Or this...Heavy Half-Bezel

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can always have a matte/satin/ sandblasted finish put onto the ring, like this

satinmattefinishring0809.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2009 6:58:59 PM
Author: D&T
you can always have a matte/satin/ sandblasted finish put onto the ring, like this
Agreed. Any smooth, shiny finish can be made into a matte finish. I remember a jeweler telling me that shiny finishes tend to get scratched and go dull, and matte finishes tend to get rubbed smooth and go shiny. You can take the ring into the jeweler every year or so, and they can make the finish look like new again.

In any case, I wouldn''t be surprised if she doesn''t wear her ring at all while working. I know I take mine off when I''m hammering, sawing, painting, etc. So, if it just ends up being worn for special occasions, you have a lot more options for the ring style.

Try Matthew''s Jewelry in Studio City. And if she is tough on jewelry, definitely go with platinum. If done properly, micro pave work can be extremely durable, and so if you went with a single row eternity engagement ring, say in a 70% version with diamonds going most of the way around the engagement ring but not on the very bottom, it will last a very, very long time with minimal refurbishing every few years. If you go with white gold, it''s not as dense as platinum and will wear out much faster, so focus more on the metal than on the diamond work if durability is important.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also thought immediately of the Whiteflash "Keystone" -- understated, elegant, and very practical.

You might also consider whether she might like a simple band that serves as both her engagement ring and wedding ring, rather than going the customary two-ring route. Maybe an etoile-style band, like this one:

http://www.etienneperret.com/colored-diamond-jewelry/4mm-platinum-starlight-band

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe she''d like mokume gane style, type that in google image search and you''ll easily find some examples. It can be done in various metal combinations, including several white metals combined (like white gold, palladium and silver), and look very interesting. As for the finish (if you don''t like mokume gane), I''d suggest some texture on the surface, as those textured pieces show very little (visible) wear and scratches are tough to see on them. It can be something like a florentine finish, or just about anything that doesen''t feel smooth to the touch (image search again can help with examples).

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Ketchmer has some amazing tension set rings. You might want to consider the swirl, which combines elements of a semi bezel with tension setting, if you are afraid of her catching it on things. A full bezel will provide the most protection.

I also like the brushed finish or mokume gane idea. Here''s a mokune gane bezel

Congrats!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/2/2009 4:51:41 PM
Author: litebrite
Ketchmer has some amazing tension set rings. You might want to consider the swirl, which combines elements of a semi bezel with tension setting, if you are afraid of her catching it on things. A full bezel will provide the most protection.

I also like the brushed finish or mokume gane idea. Here's
21.gif

Congrats!
That is a sweet ring! oops, not sure how that smiley got there, but I was comment on the mokume bezel...lol

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Louie Provo

Chris Ploof
does some realy cool work in mokugane, damascus steel, or meteorite.

a bezel setting should offer some protection perhaps like this one: sleek bezeled ring (example only, this jeweller''s bezels look poorly crafted)

if she''s realy rough, perhaps Tungsten or Titanium ? instead of gold or platinum.

You have lots of options!

Maybe enlist her bestfriend to find out what "too shiny" actualy means (ie diamond pave, the patina on the metal, too showy of a design, too ornate etc.)

Good Luck!

HD

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Ditto this - getting a friend of hers to solicit ideas is always helpful. People on the forum seem to have good experiences with Boone titanium if that''s your inclination.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If she''s a designer who never wears jewelry, maybe you should discuss it with her? I know some couples don''t want to do that because they''re reluctant to spoil the surprise. But it sounds like your GF has very particular tastes and needs, and an engagement ring is something she will be expected to wear all the time. So her input would be very, very helpful.

My husband is a designer and very fussy about visual things. I would never dare to choose a ring for him! Even after 14 years together I always hold my breath and pray when I choose a shirt for him--and that''s not something he''ll have to wear every day! If he doesn''t like it he can tell me or leave it in the closet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results