shape
carat
color
clarity

Hope you all had a happy Marine Corps Birthday and enjoy Veterans Day tomorrow

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I know the day is almost over in Idaho and is already gone on the East Coast, but I had other things happening earlier today and did not get this posted.

If you get the chance, thank a Veteran for his service. You can do it 365 days a year, but make a special effort tomorrow if you can.

To all of you Pricescopers who served, Thank You!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the day is almost over in Idaho and is already gone on the East Coast, but I had other things happening earlier today and did not get this posted.

If you get the chance, thank a Veteran for his service. You can do it 365 days a year, but make a special effort tomorrow if you can.

To all of you Pricescopers who served, Thank You!

my grandma and her sisters never forgot the American marines who came here (for R&R and training) and made us feel safe while my grandad's generation were away at the war

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok im happy talking to myself
ill post a plug for the BOb Wooddruff coundation
i discovered this organisation quite a few years ago now and very much enjoy the show they put on for the NY comedy festivle just before veterns day every year
i do like to watch the entire show not just the Bruce Springsteen bits but one needs a box of tissues

some years its live streamed
but its taking me a few days to find it this year
this is from last year

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Veterans Day!

And Thank you to all our Veterans!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to all who served. Today marks one year since my father, a Vietnam war veteran, left this world at 81 years old. I miss him terribly and will be visiting his grave for the first time since his monument was placed. Not only that, I meet with my realtor at the title company this afternoon to close on the condo I bought with some of my inheritance from my father. Very bittersweet and emotional day. I’d rather stay in bed but he would NEVER have not gotten up and put one foot in front of the other to soldier through anything tough he had to deal with.

My dad served 3 tours while he was trying to complete college. He ended up going to 4 different colleges over the course of 7 years because he took time off to go to Vietnam and fly a helicopter with messages from his camp to another over enemy territory through which there was no radio signal. If he’d gone down, that was it, no chance of rescue. He never told me about a lot of things about the war until the last couple years of his life. He always said that those who talked about it a lot probably weren’t actually there because of the unspeakable things that happened there. Not everyone handles trauma like he did but I have a feeling he was pretty much right about that. We went through a lot of pics he took while he was there. At one point a family in the village where he was stationed befriended him. Imagine back then making friends with the enemy. There are pictures of him with them, this young man, woman, and their two little kids, and a table full of Christmas presents where the soldiers had bought all the kids in the village gifts one year.

My last excursion with my dad was taking him to court last October for a hearing at Veterans Affairs in Indy. So many soldiers who survived war came home to later develop cancer from agent Orange exposure and in many cases, cancer from smoking cigarettes which were standard issue and basically part of the diet served to soldiers back then. He had won one case already and was hoping to win yet another last year after dealing with getting info from his doctors, attorneys, the veterans affairs department, etc. for three years. He did not live to get the outcome of the hearing and my mother did not want to continue pursuing the case, unfortunately. As a family we agreed the fight was over and to move forward.

I am not pro-military at all and am certainly anti-war. However, I have the utmost respect for those who serve and accept everything that comes along with that service. I would never be so brave and I admire their courage and strength.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
my grandma and her sisters never forgot the American marines who came here (for R&R and training) and made us feel safe while my grandad's generation were away at the war

I greatly enjoyed my R&R in Australia. I have always wanted to make it to NZ, but never have been able to so far...

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I attended a Remembrance Day service in my town today. I was asked to give the words of welcome at the opening.
Fewer and fewer people are attending the ceremony as the years go by, unfortunately.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We usually attend one of the services, but did not this year. Really enjoyed watching it on TV. MY late FIL served--like so many others--he was an honorable man.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I attended a Remembrance Day service in my town today. I was asked to give the words of welcome at the opening.
Fewer and fewer people are attending the ceremony as the years go by, unfortunately.

thats awsome you did that
but concerning less are attending,
especially as they days also honour the servicemen and woman who have fought in the war on terror
a few years back they chistled the newer wars into the Cenotap in my hometown

when i was at high school i used to get up for dawn parade on ANZAC day and go with my uncle as my cousins were too lazy to get out of bed
but back then the talk was it too was dying out
well 35 odd years latter its not !
even when they couldnt hold services for the ordinary people over covid lockdown people did their own thing at their front gates

so perhaps its hopefully just a stage and attendence will bounce back

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is at the tomb of the unknown warrior yesterday
unfortunatly the Carillon is out of action as its under going earthqauke strengthening so they held the national service outside yesterday
thats our only living VC recepiant with a much loved All Black rugby captain

1668200407914.png

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At one point a family in the village where he was stationed befriended him. Imagine back then making friends with the enemy.

I never got a chance to get to know the Vietnamese People on a personal basis while I was in 'Nam. I did acquiesce to hiring a Vietnamese refugee when I got a request from a local church. I told them it would be on a trial basis as I was not sure I could do it.

It turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. He and his family became friends and he did great work for me for many years. I was somewhat spoiled and thought I had a hard time in 'Nam. After learning what Bei went through and the losses he suffered as his ten year-old daughter was lost forever, taken by pirates when his wife and children fled Vietnam on a boat, I realized just how little I really went through.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
in WW2 my great uncle was hidden in a barn by a little Dutch girl
she brought him food
i dont know what happened to her or even much about the great uncle

no body talked much and i wasnt old enough to know to ask my grandad questions about the war and then he died and it was too late

anyway the great uncle and the great aunty couldnt have kids so they adopted, but their first grandaughter is called after the wee Dutch girl

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Wink one day when you have the time or cant sleep i watched this last night and you might enjoy it
its a bit long winded but a good overview
Brigadier Mortlock (who had to resign a fee years latter due to something that happened in Vietnam) said in the doco regarding his carrer to date , lost the war in Vietnam, lost the piece in Angola, this had to work

interestingly the comander that took over this deployment was Col, Jerry Mateparae who would go on to be Leutenant General Sir Jeremiah Mateparae GNZM QSO KStJ 20th governer general of NZ( Thats the Queen's representative- basically the top job in the land) and then high comisionar to the UK
HIm and his his wife lived in the little village i used to work in- he's kind of near the end of the movie just as the NZ govt ran out of money and our lot came home and left the Aussies to it
also interesting to note Rio Tinto are somewhat responsable for the sh*t show

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never got a chance to get to know the Vietnamese People on a personal basis while I was in 'Nam. I did acquiesce to hiring a Vietnamese refugee when I got a request from a local church. I told them it would be on a trial basis as I was not sure I could do it.

It turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. He and his family became friends and he did great work for me for many years. I was somewhat spoiled and thought I had a hard time in 'Nam. After learning what Bei went through and the losses he suffered as his ten year-old daughter was lost forever, taken by pirates when his wife and children fled Vietnam on a boat, I realized just how little I really went through.

Thank you so much for sharing this, @Wink, and thank you for your service. I remember being a teenager and making some innocuous complaint about my home life that seemed so important to me and my father saying “you don’t know how good you have it.” I didn’t understand it at the time, of course, and now I look back and want to smack my younger self.

I’m glad your working relationship with the refugee family was so successful. That is a happy story from such a bleak time in US and Vietnam histories.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have a plethora of fun stories about my time with Bei, but I would rather not share them on this forum. Come to Boise some day and buy me a drink and we can share many stories of our youth and some of the crazy and wonderful things we have done with our lives.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a plethora of fun stories about my time with Bei, but I would rather not share them on this forum. Come to Boise some day and buy me a drink and we can share many stories of our youth and some of the crazy and wonderful things we have done with our lives.

you can also tell me, once i win lotto and commison my bejewled convertable spider brooch ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results