shape
carat
color
clarity

Holy Crapolie, Batman!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today in Denver, CO instead of reaching Hawaiian paradise, 241 people took a slightly different journey.
... catastrophic engine failure in a jet with only two engines.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This article might be of interest to you.

Yeah thanks, I already knew that a twin-engine 777 could fly all the way to Hawaii on one engine.

That wasn't my point.
It was how unpleasant many will feel looking out their jet's cabin window and seeing an engine on fire.

Also, do the math ... I'd feel 1 engine failing out of 2 is more worrisome than 1 out of 4.
If one 1 out of 4 fails you still have 3, not just 1 left to give you that warm fuzzy feeling.
As a passenger I'd prefer warmer fuzzier odds.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While spending a couple hours today reading all the coverage and doing my own research, it was interesting to read the NTSB really really really wants to find the debris that was first to hit the ground.

Since the plane continued flying that debris is particularly helpful for determining the initial event.
Since that part was first to fall from the plane it may offer precious clues about what was the more-likely to be the fatal flaw causing the sequence of destructive events to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: caf

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Yeah thanks, I already knew that a twin-engine 777 could fly all the way to Hawaii on one engine.

That wasn't my point, which was how unpleasant many will feel looking out their jet's cabin window watching an engine on fire.

Which is why you must’ve bolded the words “in a jet with only 2 engines”.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While spending a couple hours today reading all the coverage and doing my own research, it was interesting to read the NTSB really really really wants to find the debris that was first to hit the ground.

Since the plane continued flying that debris is particularly helpful for determining the initial event.
Since that part was first to fall from the plane it may offer precious clues about what was the more-likely to be the fatal flaw causing the sequence of destructive events.

There are some videos people took at the park showing debris raining down. There are also some videos of the explosion. It is amazing what people captured- and should help NTSB. I’m in Denver so I was particularly interested in this event. Those pilots did a great job!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I watched many videos.
I love the results of nearly everyone having a video camera in on them.

When watching many of them I was thinking how valuable many will be in the investigation.
Which is why you must’ve bolded the words “in a jet with only 2 engines”.

Yeah, exactly.
I doubt many of the 231 passengers aboard the plane knew it could fly just fine with just one engine.
I only learned that today after surfing the Internet.

Even then there is the entirely reasonable concern one might (actually would) have to be flying in a jet with one failed engine one good one and NO back up engine if that last one also failed from whatever cause the first to fail.

And yes, kudos to the pilots! :clap:

Last edited:

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock

That wasn't my point, which was how unpleasant many will feel looking out their jet's cabin window and seeing an engine on fire.

Also, do the math ... 1 engine failing out of 2 is more worrisome than 1 out of 4.
If one 1 out of 4 fails you still have 3, not just 1.
As a passenger I'd prefer those odds.

After 20+ years in aviation, I don‘t need your math lesson. Commercial 4-engine booking options are rather limited... B747, A340, A380, BAE146, Dash 7, Russian Ilyushin family (62, 96). Keep thinking.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 20+ years in aviation, I don‘t need your math lesson. Commercial 4-engine booking options are rather limited... B747, A340, A380, BAE146, Dash 7, Russian Ilyushin family (62, 96). Keep thinking.
:wavey:

Not a response I'll respond* to.

You're on ignore, which I only mention so everyone else knows why I can't respond if you address me.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely something to think about even if I only do long haul once every 2 years or so.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results