shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Shopping Begins.. friendly reminder to be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
In light of the hastily approaching holiday shopping season, I just wanted to send a friendly reminder to be curteous and careful of others. Hard economic times and the poor economy can create stress and tension during the shopping season.

I work in a very stressful, fast-pased and tiring retail position. I come in contact with people from all walks of life, but this holiday season will be especially diverse. I have advised my employees to be especially curteous during these times because we will receive customers under a great deal of stress this year.

With that said, I wanted to remind consumers out there to please be patient, curteous and work with us as we try to make your shopping experiences the best ones we can. Remember we are people too, with feelings and a huge amount of work ahead of us as most retail companies are running lean this season with less employees working longer hours. Traffic will be insane, lines will be long, the stores will be messier, 'personal attention' may be lacking behind the counter, but please be aware that we ARE trying to make your experience a good one even though we can't be as personal as we would like to be. Every store has different holiday return policies, so please ask what those return policies are, get gift receipts, and PLEASE keep your original receipts!

Also, be aware of your surroudings when shopping. If you see suspicious activity PLEASE report it to a manager within the store.

Thanks guys, and hopefully we'll have a GREAT holiday season!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Your post could not be more apropos in light of what happened to me on Tuesday. My son and I were in Toys R Us and a loooonnnnngggggg line required us to wait. When I was next in the cue--and man can out of the blue and cut right in front of me. The lady behind me--said "excuse me but you have to go to the back". He did not. The young clerk did not know what to say to this rude man and I did not push it. My son was surprised at this kind of "adult" behavior and I suggested he did not emulate it.

CP is right--be nice folks!

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked in retail during college breaks and realized how mean and rude people really are. They treat SAs so poorly! One even accused us of stealing her diamond stud (fell off while she was trying clothes on) errr...this was on my FIRST day so obviously I had no idea what she was talking about or had any information on her earring. It is a difficult and thankless job. Thanks for the reminder CP!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I worked in retail and the holiday season was especially tough. Lots of stress, tons of customers, everyone was short on patience. It was nice when a customer treated me like a person, not just a servant.
That is why I am always courteous to salespeople because I know how they are treated. Not saying everyone treats them that way, but I had many cases of feeling like a slave to the customer. Then again, I had many nice people as well so there''s good and bad to it I guess.
The one thing about the holidays is everyone in our retail store was stressed out, so we were all kind of in the same boat, and with the holiday music playing and cookies in the backroom, it was sort of a festive, we''re in this together kind of atmosphere. I do miss that part of the job!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I make purchases during the holiday season, I always say thank you to the salesperson and add "Merry Christmas"! I can''t tell you how many of them have stopped and done a double take. They always thank me and wish me a Merry Christmas too. It may not be politically correct anymore but in my world Merry Christmas will always be politically correct! It helps me to remember that Christmas is not just about me and my shopping but rather about encouraging a feeling of love and peace among all people. It may sound cheesy but a warm smile and a cheerful Merry Christmas is a gift I can give to everyone. It always makes my holiday more special.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aak to rude and annoying people but I too always try to smile, be polite and I definitely say "Merry Christmas" and thank you.

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I''m always nice to salespeople. They are helping me out, after all.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked retail for many years. I know that a smile and a thank you, really means a lot. So I pay that forward, and always thank the salesperson for their time and their help. And wish them a happy holiday. It''s easy to be nice, much harder to be spioled and rude.
20.gif

Thanks for the reminder Curio!!!
5.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another retail veteran here. A little courtesy on the customer''s part definitely goes a long way.

What I really hated more than anything about the Christmas season, though, was the customers who would come in five minutes before store closing on Christmas EVE and expect an associate to spend the next thirty minutes to an hour helping them buy all their presents. Yes, usually they were men, sorry guys. Nothing worse than anticipating closing down the store and going home to family and friends when some procrastinator walks through the door and the next thing you know you''re home two hours later than expected. Most full time associates and management are also required to work the day after Christmas as well, and I think the day after is probably busier and more stressful than Black Friday or the weeks leading up to Christmas.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Great reminder Curio!
Having worked in retail, I know what its like so I always try to acknowledge sales people, use manners, say please and thankyou, and compliment them if they go out of their way.
As we don't tip here as a habit, I feel its even more important to acknowledge service in other ways.
However bad/rude service really irks me too, but you are right CP that it goes both ways. I can't say how many times I have been having a great day, crusing along, then a really rude customer ruins your entire mood, KWIM?
This thread reminds me I am happy to be in a different role these days, lol..

It does sound like you guys (US in general I mean) must go a lil wild in the shops at this time of year though - I don't think it is quite that bad here - yet..
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results