shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Since not all people have a lot of money or have families with a lot of money what are some cheap/inexpensive/homemade gifts for the holidays?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re doing homemade for the first time this year. I''ll post pictures and directions if they''re successful!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
We purchased tins on clearance after Christmas last year and are baking cookies, breads, candies and maybe adding some nuts and fruit to fill them. We''re doing large tins for DH''s siblings who have their own families and smaller tins for the singletons.

Martha Stewart has lots of good ideas... I saw one I plan on using next year. It was for french clay soap and it had the recipe and a website to buy the supplies. I''ll probably try out a few batches through the year so I have a perfected method for Christmas next year and then bundle together a couple of soaps of different scents for each family. I want to get a wax stamp so I can wrap the soap in parchment paper, fold it, and put a wax seal with our last initial or cute picture.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I''m getting an apron from my mother from www.etsy.com.

No ideas other than that. I don''t really like giving gifts unless I know someone will like them and neither of our parents have a place in their homes for homemade gifts. I''ll let DH deal with his grandmother, mom, and dad. For my parents and sister I plan to spend no more than $40 each, but don''t have any ideas.

For DH I''ll give him a bit of cash, I think he''s saving toward some very exensive electronic stuff.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What if you made greeting cards for people that you are close to? Prehaps one birthday, one wedding, one anniversary, one sympathy, one get well...and so on.

Yes, it would be time consuming....

But imagine how wonderful it would be to be on the receiving end of a little bundle of homemade cards? Then, its the gift that truly does keep on giving...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Or...what about ornaments?

It''s exclusively Christmas...and something that could turn into a tradition for you...

My DH always do ornament exchanges with friends, and some family. Last year we bought a special pencil tree that we only decorate with our "special" ornaments. Every day decorating makes me so happy because i get to remember our special times.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Let's see here-
Baked goods are lovely-you can even put them in a pretty basket etc. from the dollar store.

Craft stores have great wrapping supplies on the cheap also; like I have seen asian to-go containers and the like.

You can do an inexpensive spa basket with bath salts, a candle, or bubble bath maybe throw in a gel eye mask and a do not disturb sign.
1.gif

I love those wooden tools for your back and feet also. One of those plus some shower gel or something is a very cute gift.

Just a beautiful candle is a fab gift!

Bath and Body Works has good deals and coupons and does not test on animals.

You can do the gift of a mug with hot chocolate packs and chocolate candies and a peppermint stick inside.

You can do popcorn-microwave or kernels in a cute bowl. To add onto that gift add a movie or movie gift card.

Penzey's spices has great little gift sets-super tasty.

You can give a lovely pen and perhaps some pretty paper to go along.

You can make up a festive fruit basket.

You can do a cheese and crackers and grapes etc. basket-super cute.

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Mani/pedi supplies.

A natural object like a shell or quartz. I like getting recycled ones from eBay or Craigslist to minimize the eco impact.

I have long thought that a nice set of reusable grocery bags would be awesome but I realize that some people would hate that gift. Think for the crunchy granola in your life!

3.gif

Games are a fun gift like board games or my Aunt got me that little hand held electronic 20 questions game which I think is hilarious.

Basket with stuff to make pizza or pasta.

Jar with layered ingredients to bake cookies or make soup. I think that those are so cute.

You can make flavored oils and vinegars that are gorgeous and tasty. Put in a gorgeous bottle and wham awesome gift!

Mrs.2Artists

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I've posted this in other threads, but this year DH and I are giving our time and a donation to our family members' favorite charity or a charity that represents a gift/lesson we've been given by them (for example, we're planning on running in a fundraiser 5k as a gift for his runner step-mom, who is always encouraging us to be active, volunteering at a food pantry for FIL because he used to do that with DH when the kids were little). We don't have much money saved away for this Xmas, and no one in our family really has a want for anything, so it seemed like a good idea to give a gift that has more meaning. We're going to write the person a letter explaining the why we chose the charity (ex: Your love of music and children inspired us to volunteer...), the charity's mission and what we did, and include photos or brochures - and I plan to wrap each in a box and make it pretty so it's not just in an envelope.

I'm also baking bread again this year - last year, a girlfriend of mine came over for a weekend and we baked Ina Garten's almond poppy seed bread in mini-loaves. It was such a hit. Everyone loved getting a breakfast item instead of more cookies. My friend wrapped each one in red and green ribbon with a little seal type sticker (she's sooo much more creative than I am). It looked very classy. I'm also thinking about making my grandma's cinnamon rolls for my in-laws. The things are divine.

If I get really motivated, I might make salsa or some kind of dip (my dad makes an olive dip with sliced green olives with pimentos, cream cheese, a spash of mayo, and garlic salt that looks really festive in a jar) for co-workers.

My SMIL gives homemade gifts and I loooove them. In the past, she's given me bath salts, beaded jewelry (I've actually gotten pretty good at that and might make some pieces for my mom and some girlfriends), knitted scarves...I look forward to that stuff more than the things on my wishlist.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
You can put together a cookbook of your favorite recipes or give a digital copy.

You can give a great cook book (Cooks Illustrated "Best Recipe" is to die for) if you want to add onto that gift you could include an apron or hot pads.

An apron and hot pads maybe even in a big mixing bowl is a super cute gift as well.

A bundle of Oxo cooking tools is a great gift for someone whose cooking tools might be getting a bit run down (ie not a new bride who is likely up to her ears in spatulas already).

I think that as far as gifts go music is a great one whether cd or iTunes. Concert tickets are a fun gift too.

And of certainly the gift of time, love and service-you can even make it official by writing it on "coupons" if you want.

Best Luck!

1.gif

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I second your chips and salsa idea-when someone brings by cheese and crackers or chips and salsa I am always beyond stoked since I don''t eat sugar.

Other gifts people have brought that I have thought are cute are bread paired with a honey bear and when someone had a tree planted for us.

I love the charity and service idea with a letter (Elmorton the letter idea such is a great touch)! Service gifts are the tops in my book.

Since I am an animal and nature nut I think having a tree planted or donating to an animal cause is a great gift also.

Mrs.2Artists

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Lush socks or slippers are divine too! Or maybe a nice soft blanket?

Mrs.2Artists

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I do exactly what Italiahaircolor suggested and give sets of greeting cards to everyone. Seriously, cards are easy and inexpensive to make and they look great. All you need is some nice cardstock, some rubber stamps, and maybe some ribbon.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
We have done home made rocky road before and wrapped it up like gold bars, very yummy and everyone loved them.

Easy, cheap and yummy :).

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Do you have the recipe for the Ina Garten''s almond poppy seed bread or the cinnamon rolls (I''ve tried making them before but they turned out not well...not nice and fluffy)? The recipes sound good. All of these are great ideas!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My FIL made calendars for the whole family using old photos. Many of them were photos that hadn''t been seen (like Grandma sitting on the porch with a book when she was 5). It was really beautiful and a keepsake, too.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Costco has inexpensive cookbooks for $10 and maybe you could make some cookies. I have a cookie thread going and one of my hits during the holidays is the PB chocolate balls. thread -----> https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holiday-cookie-recipes.73268/
Hobby Lobby has lots of fun little gifts or the dollar stores. I guess it all depends on who you are giving a gift to.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results