shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmm--inlaid stones in sterling I know nothing about!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had this sterling bracelet and earrings set since college. I bought it at the ATL Merchandise Mart while working as a temp doing fashion shows one weekend but I have no idea what the stones are...I don''t even know possibilities except for maybe lapis. They may not be genuine stones/minerals or whatever but I was going through my jewelry box and am just curious about these pieces. Thanks!

butterfly001.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The back of each piece stamped .925 Mex. The inlaid pieces could be plastic or crayon wax in epoxy for all I know, I realize that the quality of the pieces isn't super high (i.e. the jump rings between butterflies aren't soldered, etc.) but again, I'm just curious!

butterfly002.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Assuming they''re genuine gemstones;

Green with stripes - malachite
Turquoise - turquoise (that''s a tough one...)
Blue with stripes - dyed blue agate
Blue with green "specks" - can''t remember it''s name, but I think it''s lazurite

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma re: thank you! Turquoise does seem pretty obvious, haha! Do you think it''s safe to assume that those are genuine stones since they aren''t very expensive and the pieces are so tiny? Doesn''t matter to me one way or another, but my knowledge of this sort of thing is quite limited.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is the same as Ma Re’s, presuming that they are genuine. They look to be very fun pieces to wear.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Blue with green specs: Azurite/Malachite
Purple: Sugilite

My guess would be reconstituted stone; poor quality rough ground up and mixed with resin and dye to look like higher quality versions of what they are supposed to resemble. Or, it could just be colored resin/plastic/epoxy, but my guess is reconstituted.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2010 12:06:16 PM
Author: DistinctionJewelry

My guess would be reconstituted stone; poor quality rough ground up and mixed with resin and dye to look like higher quality versions of what they are supposed to resemble. Or, it could just be colored resin/plastic/epoxy, but my guess is reconstituted.
Ditto.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 6:22:48 PM
Author: Pandora II
Date: 3/31/2010 12:06:16 PM

Author: DistinctionJewelry

Ditto.

Haha--so I wasn''t SO far off with my "crayon wax ensconced in epoxy" thought? LOL

Thanks everyone for your input! These are definitely just for fun pieces and I don''t really wear them anymore but was curious as to the possibilities of what they could have used for the colored stones. I keep meaning to get more involved with colored stones here and IRL so this is actually my maiden voyage thread. My SO has lots of loose colored stones (spent about 18 months collecting them, doing some benchwork and making pieces for friends as a hobby) and has told me I can set anything I want. He has lots of tanzanite and some really random stones of what mineral persuasion he has forgotten. You may see more from me here on CS from his collection sometime. Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results