shape
carat
color
clarity

his family had asked Barack Obama to stop wearing the bracelet with their son''s name on it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2008 1:45:47 PM
Author:strmrdr
Im going to get flamed for this but this ticks me off...
Lets try an not get it deleted...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/warner-todd-huston/2008/09/28/family-told-obama-not-wear-soldier-sons-bracelet-where-media
WOW! And people were up in arms about the RNC playing a Heart song! I couldn't imagine purposefully using a fallen soldier's name against his family's will to bolster your campaign.
38.gif

ETA: I agree, Lucky! Thanks for the extra info. Hopefully the parents aren't using this to make their political points. I would just think that if there was *any* controversy over use then Obama would forgo it.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Strm, I read about this earlier this morning, and while I agree with you that if Obama is using their son''s bracelet as a means of fame-wh$ring it is absolutely ludicrous....there may be more to this story.

This states that the parents are divorced and that the father is a McCain supporter--clearly the mother is an Obama supporter. So who knows how it really went down. Perhaps the father found out about the bracelet and was angered because it was given to a candidate that she doesn''t support, and so she said that she told Obama not to wear the bracelet anymore.

I''m waiting for more information. From Mrs. Jopek herself.

But if this is the truth, I completely agree with you. We''ll just have to see.

See, I can be rational.
16.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

To pile insult onto injury here, the Mother doesn''t even want to force the issue of telling Obama to stop exploiting her son because she wants to see him win the election. Obama is not only taking advantage of this brave soldier''s death, he is taking advantage of the good wishes of the man''s Mother who doesn''t want to hurt the campaign.
This makes perfect sense to me though. Perhaps we WON''T hear from Mrs. Jopek.
14.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Wow, this is interesting. Will have to wait and see I guess?
40.gif

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, thanks lucky! Maybe she changed her mind since now it''s helping Obama? Who knows. Eh whatever, right? I''m not going to judge her..that''s bound to be a horrible thing to go through.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well, she did admit to asking Obama not to mention her son''s name in any debate/speeches.
We also know that she is an Obama supporter.

So I think it just confirms that she didn''t want to hurt his campaign.
Obama should have respected her wishes.

Now that she came out in support of Obama, this little blip is over...but there is another parent in the equation who would rather his son not be named, so perhaps Obama should respect those wishes?
It''s a hard one, for sure.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
It''s definitely interesting that there''s another parent involved as well. I guess we''ll see how it turns out.
5.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Actually, when he first got the bracelet, it was VERY clear he was supposed to wear it
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2008-02-16-2200549395_x.htm

Why should he stop wearing it if the mother had it made and gave it to him and it clearly means a lot to her? I think it would be disrespectful of him not to wear it. I don''t think the ex husband hets to speak for the entire family in this case and unless the mother says otherwise, he has the right to wear it. What about the sister, in the article it is clear that she was ok with this as well?
Sounds to me like the father has sour grapes because his family thinks he is wrong so he is making a fuss.
If it was such a big deal, why wait til now rather than in Feb when Obama got the bracelet? Cycincal me suspects to make as much political impact as possible and he isn''t outraged at all.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 12:00:34 AM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Actually, when he first got the bracelet, it was VERY clear he was supposed to wear it

Why should he stop wearing it if the mother had it made and gave it to him and it clearly means a lot to her? I think it would be disrespectful of him not to wear it. I don''t think the ex husband hets to speak for the entire family in this case and unless the mother says otherwise, he has the right to wear it. What about the sister, in the article it is clear that she was ok with this as well?
Sounds to me like the father has sour grapes because his family thinks he is wrong so he is making a fuss.
If it was such a big deal, why wait til now rather than in Feb when Obama got the bracelet? Cycincal me suspects to make as much political impact as possible and he isn''t outraged at all.
I don''t think the issue is *wearing* it, but using it in speeches or debates to garner votes. There is a distinction there. I would just think any controversy over it would preclude him from going against ANY family member''s wishes. It''s definitely shaky ground and a very sensitive area.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

The mother herself admits that, in February (I am sure directly after that rally), she contacted Obama.

From the link I posted:

"Jopek acknowledged e-mailing the Obama campaign in February asking that the presidential candidate not mention her son in speeches or debates."

So, as Indy said, I don''t think that it has to do with him wearing the bracelet.
I mean, we''re on a jewelry forum so I think we all understand the ridiculousness of being given jewelry and being told not to wear it.
1.gif

But since I posted that follow up, they have since added more to that article...particularly this part:

"She wouldn''t directly say whether she wanted Obama to refrain from mentioning the bracelet again, but said she hopes the issue will just go away."

I agree with her, this is kind of silly. But I do think that perhaps she doesn''t want her son''s name being used in this light.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 12:06:14 AM
Author: IndyGirl22

I don''t think the issue is *wearing* it, but using it in speeches or debates to garner votes. There is a distinction there. I would just think any controversy over it would preclude him from going against ANY family member''s wishes. It''s definitely shaky ground and a very sensitive area.
Wouldn''t be really rude to not wear it when the mother had it specially made for him and asked him to wear it? If I had to pick, I would pick the mother and daughter who went to all the effort, not the dad who didn''t are enough to make a stink until 7 months later.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 1:31:25 AM

Date: 9/29/2008 12:06:14 AM

Wouldn''t be really rude to not wear it when the mother had it specially made for him and asked him to wear it? If I had to pick, I would pick the mother and daughter who went to all the effort, not the dad who didn''t are enough to make a stink until 7 months later.
Again, I don''t think anyone cares that he is *wearing* it. It''s the name-dropping that has at least one of his family members bothered it seems. There''s a difference between wearing something and telling the story of someone to get votes. I wouldn''t ever disrespect any wishes from a family member of a fallen soldier, even if other family members express an opposite view. I would imagine that no one made a "stink" until now because Obama didn''t name-drop until in the debate.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think him "name dropping" got him any votes at all. McCain is the one obviously using a bracelet to get votes, telling that story yet again, give me a break. If Obama has the race card, McCain definitely has the POW card. If I had one guy, acting like the end all be all about war just because he was a vet, go on about some story where a mother said "don''t let my kid die in vain" knowing I was wearing a bracelet from another mother that says "don''t let it happen again" I think it would just pour out of me. Not for votes, but out of anger and frustration that this guy keeps trying to present one side to this damn war. Not everyone is all about "winning" and "honor"...whatever the hell that means. And once you decide to mention the bracelet, I would find it disrespectful not to mention the name of the person that died for our country.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 6:59:07 AM
Author: MoonWater
I don''t think him ''name dropping'' got him any votes at all. McCain is the one obviously using a bracelet to get votes, telling that story yet again, give me a break. If Obama has the race card, McCain definitely has the POW card. If I had one guy, acting like the end all be all about war just because he was a vet, go on about some story where a mother said ''don''t let my kid die in vain'' knowing I was wearing a bracelet from another mother that says ''don''t let it happen again'' I think it would just pour out of me. Not for votes, but out of anger and frustration that this guy keeps trying to present one side to this damn war. Not everyone is all about ''winning'' and ''honor''...whatever the hell that means. And once you decide to mention the bracelet, I would find it disrespectful not to mention the name of the person that died for our country.

Ditto! Also, and I''m certainly not trying to attack the grieving mother, but I''m not sure who would give a politician something like that and not expect them to use it to their advantage. But maybe I''m just too cynical!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The whole point is, from the where the Obama camp stands now, anything goes in the last stretch. He wanted this to be an above board campaign without negative ads; we all know how that''s going. He was asked not to ''talk'' about his bracelet and make it a campaign prop; but McCain won''t shut up about his schmaltzy little story, so out comes his own.

I''m waiting to see a Democratic candidate who can win without the ''politics as usual'' of overreacting, overreaching, and retaliation; one who plays offense right up until the final moments, and not defense. That candidate will probably win by a landslide.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 8:27:57 AM
Author: HollyS
The whole point is, from the where the Obama camp stands now, anything goes in the last stretch. He wanted this to be an above board campaign without negative ads; we all know how that''s going. He was asked not to ''talk'' about his bracelet and make it a campaign prop; but McCain won''t shut up about his schmaltzy little story, so out comes his own.

I''m waiting to see a Democratic candidate who can win without the ''politics as usual'' of overreacting, overreaching, and retaliation; one who plays offense right up until the final moments, and not defense. That candidate will probably win by a landslide.

I agree with you on that one. Unfortunately, it just doesn''t work for them. Fortunately for us I suppose. Last one to try up until nearly the end was Dukakis. Refused to put out negative ads for the longest time, said the American people would "know better" and whatnot..well. We all know how that went.
2.gif
I have to say I am disappointed to see Obama drop to attacks..I thought he was "above that." Some of my Dem friends have expressed the same sentiment.
40.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i''m waiting for a republican candidate that can do this as well and one who dumps karl rove and all the antics used against mccain by his own party for the 2000 election.

movie zombie

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Again, this is only a story because Obama was asked by at least one family member NOT to mention the soldier''s name but did to match McCain. The family of the soldier''s bracelet McCain wears did not have this problem. I could care less if Obama has a bracelet, wears it, showers with it, plays basketball with it, or otherwise. Geesh.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:08:02 AM
Author: movie zombie

i''m waiting for a republican candidate that can do this as well and one who dumps karl rove and all the antics used against mccain by his own party for the 2000 election.

movie zombie

Hear Hear!
One would think that because of the smear tactics used against McCain (and his family) by Bush''s minions, that he would be opposed to such debased debauchery. But I guess the lesson McCain learned from his defeat is that playing dirty wins. Sad state of affairs. I wish Obama had not brought up the bracelet, or had said as someone pointed out so eloquently somewhere here, that there should be no need for bracelets... Obama botched that.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:56:11 AM
Again, this is only a story because Obama was asked by at least one family member NOT to mention the soldier''s name but did to match McCain. The family of the soldier''s bracelet McCain wears did not have this problem. I could care less if Obama has a bracelet, wears it, showers with it, plays basketball with it, or otherwise. Geesh.
Do you ever post something and wonder if someone actually read what you wrote before replying? hehe

Anyway, agreed. This isn''t about McCain--so I''m not sure why people are trying to shift the focus there (actually I do know..lol). This is about the mother telling Obama not to use her son''s name in debates/speeches and then him going against her wishes.

I''m still waiting to hear why Obama felt one-upping McCain was more important than respecting the wishes of a dead soldier''s mother.

It was a zinger, for sure. It showed a different side, and it made McCain look a bit silly for a second. So it absolutely had an influence during the debate. But blaming Obama''s actions ON McCain telling his story (again) is a cop out.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 10:08:02 AM
Author: movie zombie

movie zombie

Well, actually, the point I was making was that if a Democrat did what they promised at the outset, they would probably get all the backing they needed to win and win big. I don''t usually hear those kind of ''we''re gonna play nice in this election'' promises from Republicans. We should, I suppose. But we don''t. The candidate who does say it, and really does rise above the muck, will win a lot of respect across party lines. IMHO.

I''m not an Obama supporter, and I realize that''s quite the understatement
9.gif
, but I was dissappointed during the debates to see him in defense mode or in one-up manship (bracelet) with McCain. I really did half expect him not to fall for the usual tricks from the other side. And yes, they are tricks. I will call a spade a spade.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

Date: 9/29/2008 11:34:31 AM
Author: luckystar112

Again, this is only a story because Obama was asked by at least one family member NOT to mention the soldier's name but did to match McCain. The family of the soldier's bracelet McCain wears did not have this problem. I could care less if Obama has a bracelet, wears it, showers with it, plays basketball with it, or otherwise. Geesh.
Do you ever post something and wonder if someone actually read what you wrote before replying? hehe

Anyway, agreed. This isn't about McCain--so I'm not sure why people are trying to shift the focus there (actually I do know..lol). This is about the mother telling Obama not to use her son's name in debates/speeches and then him going against her wishes.

I'm still waiting to hear why Obama felt one-upping McCain was more important than respecting the wishes of a dead soldier's mother.

It was a zinger, for sure. It showed a different side, and it made McCain look a bit silly for a second. So it absolutely had an influence during the debate. But blaming Obama's actions ON McCain telling his story (again) is a cop out.
What I find amusing is that when the mother was asked about it, she stated that although she did make that request, she had no problem and understood. People responded with 'well she supports the Obama campaign so obviously since this helped blah blah'. I think it takes a certain level of cynicism that I do not have to say that she is only going along with it now because she wants to support his campaign. This woman loss her child.

Personally, if I felt the way she did, having told Obama to make sure it doesn't happen to another mother/child, I would be raging mad that McCain kept bragging about his bracelet. It's completely one-sided. He keeps pulling this POW BS in order to appear as an authority on all things war. He keeps neglecting those that loss love ones and don't care about WINNING they care about preventing something like this from happening to others.

So my point, if she, you know the woman that loss a child is over it, perhaps everyone else should be as well.

ETA: I'm also LOL over questioning the shifting of the focus to McCain, when it is constantly switch to Obama/Biden if anyone criticises McCain/Palin. Seems hypocritical, doncha think?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2008 12:58:29 PM

ETA: I''m also LOL over questioning the shifting of the focus to McCain, when it is constantly switch to Obama/Biden if anyone criticises McCain/Palin. Seems hypocritical, doncha think?

Ditto x 100!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date: 9/29/2008 11:34:31 AM
Author: luckystar112

Anyway, agreed. This isn''t about McCain--so I''m not sure why people are trying to shift the focus there (actually I do know..lol). This is about the mother telling Obama not to use her son''s name in debates/speeches and then him going against her wishes.

I''m still waiting to hear why Obama felt one-upping McCain was more important than respecting the wishes of a dead soldier''s mother.

It was a zinger, for sure. It showed a different side, and it made McCain look a bit silly for a second. So it absolutely had an influence during the debate. But blaming Obama''s actions ON McCain telling his story (again) is a cop out.
What I find amusing is that when the mother was asked about it, she stated that although she did make that request, she had no problem and understood. People responded with ''well she supports the Obama campaign so obviously since this helped blah blah''. I think it takes a certain level of cynicism that I do not have to say that she is only going along with it now because she wants to support his campaign. This woman loss her child.

Personally, if I felt the way she did, having told Obama to make sure it doesn''t happen to another mother/child, I would be raging mad that McCain kept bragging about his bracelet. It''s completely one-sided. He keeps pulling this POW BS in order to appear as an authority on all things war. He keeps neglecting those that loss love ones and don''t care about WINNING they care about preventing something like this from happening to others.

So my point, if she, you know the woman that loss a child is over it, perhaps everyone else should be as well.

ETA: I''m also LOL over questioning the shifting of the focus to McCain, when it is constantly switch to Obama/Biden if anyone criticises McCain/Palin. Seems hypocritical, doncha think?
Moon, as usual, I agree with every word!
36.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock

You two agree with her, shocking!

2.gif

Moon, I absolutely agree that this bantering goes back and forth all the time between parties. I didn't deny that. I just think that in THIS instance, with political affiliation aside, it is just kind of crappy to be told by someone not to do something and then do it anyway to make a point.
That's all.

If McCain did it...I'D BE SAYING THE SAME THING. Really! But the parent's of the soldier he keeps mentioning have no asked him nicely to stop using his name. This mother did...and Obama didn't know if he'd have her approval before he said it. I'm looking at this NOT as an attack against the left, but as a moral issue.

I don't know why you're acting like I'm not giving people the benefit of the doubt here. Did you read my first post? I'm not trying to throw Obama under the bridge, I'm just making an observation by what I see in the story. It's an opinion, we're all entitled to them.

21.gif

goobear78

Brilliant_Rock
On CBS news online front page, the mother of Sgt. Jopek said she "was "ecstatic" when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama mentioned during Friday''s debate the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son. Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that Obama remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb. "

To read the full article click below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/29/politics/main4485265.shtml

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 10:20:25 AM
Author: goobear78
On CBS news online front page, the mother of Sgt. Jopek said she ''was ''ecstatic'' when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama mentioned during Friday''s debate the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son. Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that Obama remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb. ''

To read the full article click below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/29/politics/main4485265.shtml
I find that hilarious - the vote is coming up and it''s too late to put the genie back in the bottle so of course his mother is all of a sudden "ecstatic." The soldier''s father explicitly stated on the radio show that they had asked Obama to stop wearing it in March.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock

What I find amusing is that when the mother was asked about it, she stated that although she did make that request, she had no problem and understood. People responded with ''well she supports the Obama campaign so obviously since this helped blah blah''. I think it takes a certain level of cynicism that I do not have to say that she is only going along with it now because she wants to support his campaign. This woman loss her child.

Personally, if I felt the way she did, having told Obama to make sure it doesn''t happen to another mother/child, I would be raging mad that McCain kept bragging about his bracelet. It''s completely one-sided. He keeps pulling this POW BS in order to appear as an authority on all things war. He keeps neglecting those that loss love ones and don''t care about WINNING they care about preventing something like this from happening to others.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results