shape
carat
color
clarity

high speed trains

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
With all the talk for years regarding the US dependency on oil and the promises of "let''s find alternatives". Why doesn''t the US look into high speed trains? From what I understand there is a route from NYC to DC. I''m from Cleveland and it would be nice to catch a rail to Chicago, Columbus, Pittsburg, NYC, etc.

Does anyone else see this as a logical alternative? I knew there would be considerable costs involved with production however, many people are unemployed and could use the work. Especially considering the high unemployment rate and that situation is not improving also.

Just curious.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Good question! I''m not really sure, but I do
30.gif
those high speed trains. Unfortunately for me though they do make me a bit motion sick.
40.gif
My guess is it''s just the cost of production and how much people insist on owning their own vehicles.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2008 12:35:14 AM
Author:Daydreamer7130
With all the talk for years regarding the US dependency on oil and the promises of ''let''s find alternatives''. Why doesn''t the US look into high speed trains? From what I understand there is a route from NYC to DC. I''m from Cleveland and it would be nice to catch a rail to Chicago, Columbus, Pittsburg, NYC, etc.

Does anyone else see this as a logical alternative? I knew there would be considerable costs involved with production however, many people are unemployed and could use the work. Especially considering the high unemployment rate and that situation is not improving also.

Just curious.
Psst!! Because the government doesn''t MEAN it. Get it? Lip service. Because it attacks the profits of the automotive industry and the oil industry. Who do you think has been fighting this at the federal level tooth and nail for decades?? And the American public is lazy and never meant it either. If we had ever really meant it, there would not be tax breaks for Hummer owners, to name but the most visible and outrageous example of our government''s policies regarding being "addicted to oil". The Teamsters also have helped destroy the train system in this country, by having a clause in their contract (at least some years ago) that says that anything being transported less than 500 miles MUST be transported by truck rather than by more economical trains. Cities have also allowed urban sprawl at a rate that no commuter train system could hope to conquer, at this late date. In fact, urban sprawl promotes the interests of housing developers, which in turn promotes the interests of the lenders, because this is all done on borrowed money, and urban sprawl also promotes the interests of the petroleum club which we''ve elected. Too many people have a vested interest in the status quo. So when you ask why, it really isn''t that difficult to figure out, if you just think about it for a bit.

This really isn''t a big conspiracy, but people acting in their own, mostly short-sighted and short-term interests. All hail the Great God Market!! Of course the market never promised to do anything that was in the ultimate long-term interests of society, but only to get the most for those who could claw, or inherit, their way to the top.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
I see with what you are saying about people and their vehicles. There are those who live in rural areas and such and those of us who need them for our groceries, doctor appts and for schooling purposes. American airlines is decreasing by 8% and most others are cutting flights. Transportation seems to be going to hell in a hand basket. Cleveland even posted that they are cutting back on busing routes due to fuel costs. Everyone''s complaint is that the city needs more busing not less.

It just seems logical to me that high speed travel will help people get to their business meetings/conferences, famiiy vacations and a whole host of others. Europe has been doing trains for a while. I wonder what their experiences have been especially when the price of a gallon of gas was terribly high even before all this nonsense of 120-150.00 per barrell.

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Karen,

I knew that when I posted the question regarding the government just being full of BS. Unfortunately, you are correct in that the Americans are lazy with their voices unless they are complaining about something and then when it comes to action they do not act on their words. I did not know about the teamsters. Sure, there are reasons to use the tractor trailers rather than the rail. I just think that there is more room for other ways of transportation especially at a time like now. I just can''t help think that there is room for everyone in the business sense and that doing a rail system would help out the economy in many ways.

I really appreciate your thoughts! Thanks.

Cynthia

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Well, Karen, maybe the big automotive industry in America is about to lose it''s money and it''s voice. I am not sad at all that GM may go bankrupt, the other thing bothersome about it, is the folks who will be unemployed and that the taxpayers will foot the bill for the fallout.

Again, that story regarding Toyota and the big 3 American Automakers proves that they missed the boat...or the train...or the tracks...or there scruples.

I do really love your posts Karen.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results