shape
carat
color
clarity

High Setting or Low?..... Pro''''s and Con''''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYDiamond

Rough_Rock
Considering settings for a 2.6 carat oval, want one with baguettes but can''t decide high or low. Some questions,

Is the high setting called a cathedral setting?

Does a high setting that shows the entire stone from crown to culet make the stone appear to have more fire, brilliance and sparkle?

Seems like the higher settings usually come with 6 prongs, but the 4 prong seems more aesthetically pleasing. I guess the combination of a high setting and 4 prongs might be more prone to losing the stone?

Below are examples of higher and lower settings from Tiffany and Blue Nile:

Lower:

http://www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/zoom/engagement_fancy_oval2.jpg

Higher:

http://www.bluenile.com/assets/product_images/sidehand/DM15503700_OV_100_275x250.jpg

All opinions are appreciated.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
the bluenile setting actually doesn''t look to be that high. you''ve just got to different heads on the rings you posted. the tiffany one does appear to sit a bit lower. Some feel that a higher sitting diamond looks bigger. I think it''s about personal preference, lifestyle etc. someone who is more active with their hands my prefer a lower setting so it doesn''t get caught on things like gloves or whatever. As for 4 or 6 prongs. if you do a search here there a ton of old threads. It has been argued that 6 isn''t necessary any more safe than 4. again, I say go with your preference
1.gif

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
My upgrade sits significantly higher than my original stone and I am very conscious of being careful because I find that I do knock it a little more. But as for high v. low, I think it depends on what else is going on with the ring. You wouldn't want a center stone set so low that it gets "lost" in whatever else is going on around it (side stones, fancy filigree, etc.) but you don't want it to be so high that it impairs daily activities.

Sorry this isn't much help, but I think the hight of the setting would have to take into account the rest of the ring.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would say, focus on finding a ring with an overall style you like, and don''t worry about whether it''s high or low! I thought I would want a really low setting, but ended up with a ring that''s more in between. It''s all a matter of what looks good as a whole piece.

By the way, of the two you posted, I think the lower-set ring is much prettier, but that also has to do with the shape of the setting rather than the height - I don''t like settings where all of the prongs come out of a central point, as opposed to a basket with separate prongs. In a well-made ring, the basket can be one of the prettiest parts, rather than a purely utilitarian stone-grabber.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think you may have to go a bit higher since this is a 2.6 carat stone and it will likely need to height so that the culet does not touch the shank.
As for four or six prongs again because this is an oval I am not sure I would be okay with four prongs.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I vote for a lower setting. I think smaller diamonds look good in the high settings, but 2+ ct stones look best in lower settings IMO. I mean, when your stone is that big it''s going to sit pretty high on your finger anyway, right? As for light passing through the stone, I don''t think whether the stone is set high or low will have much of an effect. I think the style of setting (for instance bezel vs. open carriage) would have more of an impact.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 12:03:22 PM
Author:NYDiamond

Does a high setting that shows the entire stone from crown to culet make the stone appear to have more fire, brilliance and sparkle?

Not really... those just look funny and tend to bang into things. A large diamond like that would not result in a low ring anyway because of the stone''s size.

Why look at diamonds bottom up anyway? - most light comes and goes from the face of the stone - at least in reasonably well cut ones. The high settings at most provide some excuse for badly cut diamonds or for those those that their owners believe are too small for their liking - so the slight discomfort wearing an overly high rings gets confused with weight
11.gif
Don''t get me wrong - any diamond can be ''too small'' or "too big".

You could probably say this is a matter of taste
12.gif
. I am just taking sides here
31.gif

If you wanted an open setting (little ''metal'' and lots of open space around the stone), a low set basket with relatively thin prongs should do the trick beautifully. Tall prongs need to be heavy to hold shape - short ones can be very dainty. So... it should be that a lower setting would also be a lighter and more open one.

My 2c

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I always liked the higher setters...to me it made the center stone more pronounced. However, the setting on my e-ring is like the tiffany setting you posted, lower. At first I thought it was too low but now I can''t imagine it being any higher.

The reason we got the lower setting is because it fit better with the overall setting of the ring. Looking down on the center stone you it looks like it sits up high but it doesn''t. My center stone is 1.3 cts.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I like the lower setting best myself. The Tiffany one you posted has open sides which should let in just as much light as a higher setting. The diamond should look the same in either setting, I think it just comes down to whether you like the sleek/modest style or the bling-bling/don''t-poke-your-eye-out style.

I think the Tiffany settings are all well designed, hard to go wrong with one. If you like that setting but don''t have want to pay the Tiffany premium you can have WhiteFlash make you a custom design of the same style setting.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I love, love, love that lower Tiffany setting and actually tried it on at one point ... it is VERY flattering to the finger, and is exquisite with an oval center diamond. I couldn''t imagine setting a large oval centerstone high as in the BlueNile setting posted ... my vote goes to the lower setting.

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Your 2.6 carat oval will not get "lost" in a lower setting with side baguettes. Baguettes are thin and appear glassy so they won''t compete with the fire of an oval. I would go with the low, 4-prong setting. I think six prongs on an oval looks strange, and lower settings are more "user-friendly" IMO. I really like how the baguettes on the Tiffany setting slope down. That will also help in making your oval "pop." It is beautful! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results