shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi - New to colored stones and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I'd like to start looking into colored stones and know nothing about them at this point. I 've attached a photo of a vintage pink tourmaline ring that I came across, but did not purchase. This was on ebay, and auction is over, but was curious what others think of this stone. Any obvious reason why it's not a good stone? It was advertised as a 3 carat pink tourmaline.

Also, I am looking at a Chrysoberyl, which I know absolutely nothing about, just like the faceting of the stone really. I'd imagine a Chrysoberyl would look best in yellow gold? Is white gold a no-no?

Thanks for your help!!

pink tourm ring nnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, for that pink tourmaline, the stone either is dirty or has a lot of little inclusions. I don''t know what that thing is around 10 o''clock...also, the stone is not of the best cut, and has a rather sizeable window (which is why you can see the band through the stone).

As for gold colors, that''s very often a personal preference!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Chrysoberyl. I love the faceting of this stone. The color not so much. It''s not that I don''t think this is a nicely colored Chrysoberyl. It probably IS! I just don''t think, given a choice, I would choose a Chrysoberyl to start. But, the faceting is just perfect to me!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2010 6:02:58 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Well, for that pink tourmaline, the stone either is dirty or has a lot of little inclusions. I don't know what that thing is around 10 o'clock...also, the stone is not of the best cut, and has a rather sizeable window (which is why you can see the band through the stone).

As for gold colors, that's very often a personal preference!
Haha, yes I think it is VERY dirty. That thing at 10 must be dirt of some sort! I didn't even see it until I posted it on here, and it is huge! Interesting about the window . . . quite different than the chrysoberyl I posted.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh Barry''s cutting.

I think that stone is gorgeous. I think YG would probably suit it the best, but if you like WG or RG, I say go with what you love. I personally don''t wear YG, so I''d put it in white. Or rose, if I''m feeling frisky.

I have to say I don''t think you can really go wrong with a Barry stone though. Is this your first colored stone piece?

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, first one!! Totally clueless!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 6:06:00 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
Haha, yes I think it is VERY dirty. That thing at 10 must be dirt of some sort! I didn''t even see it until I posted it on here, and it is huge! Interesting about the window . . . quite different than the chrysoberyl I posted.
We all have to start somewhere! My first stone was a Barry supernova oval topaz. 7cts. That kind of ruined me for cuts and size ever since then. Eh well...

Barry''s stones won''t have windows from straight on. Most of the precision cutters won''t have windows unless it''s intentional. Have you looked at any of Barry''s other stones? His rounds usually look like that one, so if you see something that''s a color that talks to you more, I''d look at that one.

I really hope that thing is dirt!
23.gif

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Freke. I noticed that stone some 2 weeks ago, and I think it''s growing on me, even the color! I have looked at the other stones, and while beautiful, none jump out at me as much as the faceting on this particular stone. I''ll take a look through his site again tonight. I think I would have to set it in white gold, or hmmm, rose, interesting. I am not a yellow gold fan at the moment. Hmmm, or maybe white gold, with yellow just at the interior of the bezel. Hmmmmmm.

Glad to know you love Barry''s work so much. I had actually e-mailed him about that stone. He is very nice too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Barry is a hoot. Ask him about Chester! I think the white gold with a YG interior bezel sounds mighty interesting...

For some reason I think yellow stone and RG, and think of a tropical sunset, or one of those tropical fruit drinks...I need a vacation apparently!
41.gif

ETA: I have more stones from Barry than anyone else. Those chunky cuts just GET ME. So in turn, I have to get them!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi LV!

I think you''ll just adore Barry''s cutting, I think it has a distinctly "vintage" quality to it with the chunky facets and high crowns.

I have something on the way from him, every time he ships me something, I''m super excited because I know it will be lovely!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love chrysoberyls, they''re probably my favorite gem. I''d set that one in white gold (or white gold with the yellow bezel). All yellow may make the stone visually disappear in the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the angle of the ring and knowing that tourmalines have lower RI, I am inclined to think that the see-through effect in the picture isn't a true window but a tilt window which is very common in tourmalines unless it is a supernova cut.

Chrysobeyl comes in many shades of yellow-green to green and even brownish yellow. The individual stone that is selected determines which metal colour goes best with it.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 6:03:08 PM
Author: Loves Vintage
This is the Chrysoberyl. I love the faceting of this stone. The color not so much. It''s not that I don''t think this is a nicely colored Chrysoberyl. It probably IS! I just don''t think, given a choice, I would choose a Chrysoberyl to start. But, the faceting is just perfect to me!
You''ll love the faceting on all of Barry''s stones if you love that one. You might as well try to find a stone that you love the color of as well, maybe something in a lighter color so you can see the facets. I have quite a few Barry stones and they''re all great! You just have to be quick when he posts them or they''ll get snatched up
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results