shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi guys, New here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I''m a 25 year old living in Ct with my SO and two dogs. I started collecting gemstones fall 08 when I wanted to make a custom pendant for my mom for Christmas. I''ll have to ask her for pictures of it. It is a 7mm princess cut garnet and 8x6mm pear blue zircon. That piece sparked my interest and so my collection began.

I''m going to try and attach some pictures of my collection.

This my favorite of the collection 53.32ct Kunzite (from Pakistan) it''s really beautiful, I prefer it''s almost champagne pink color IRL over the treated/heated neon pink you can see in Kunzite.
53kunzite.jpg

kunzite53.jpg

kunzite53.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
ok now I see how the attaching works :D

Here''s my Spessartite garnet, I can''t remember the size or weight of it but it''s about 6mm.

spessartitegarnet6x4.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
another of the Spess on my fingers

spessfingers.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a stone I recieved in a lot, I have no idea what kind it is and haven''t got around to buying a refractometer yet (it''s planned, just have to find a good one)

It''s about 12mm

unknownbluestone.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
same stone different angle

unknownbluestonedifferentangle.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great collection.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection. Welcome!! I''d love to see pictures of the pendant too when you get a chance.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice stones and you also take quite nice photographs!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS/CS and thank you for sharing your pictures. I''d love to see more but would never let the kunzite see the light of the sun because of fading issues. You take excellent sharp and close up pictures!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photographs! Thanks for sharing!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
took some more photos today :D

Here is my chrome diopside

gems009-1.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
here''s my favorite garnet

gems011-1.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
and I''m pretty sure this is a blue zircon

gems013.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I''d really like some input on where to buy something to ID these gems. I''d like to just make sure they''re real, because in my naivety I bought a lot of stones from E-Bay. If they''re not real, you live and learn
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2010 5:00:05 PM
Author: davi_el_mejor
I''d really like some input on where to buy something to ID these gems. I''d like to just make sure they''re real, because in my naivety I bought a lot of stones from E-Bay. If they''re not real, you live and learn
2.gif
and then you learn some more! i think most of us have our "learning lessons" from eBay......welcome!

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you can start off with some simple tools like a 10x loupe, chelsea filter, dichroscope, refractometer and polariscope but you also need to be able to know how to use them properly.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2010 1:59:24 PM
Author: Chrono
Well, you can start off with some simple tools like a 10x loupe, chelsea filter, dichroscope, refractometer and polariscope but you also need to be able to know how to use them properly.
I have many loupes, in fact that''s how I take my pictures. One of the loupes fits around the lense of the camera.

I''ve read up on refractometers and I''m pretty sure it''s the most definitive means of identifying stones.

The filter and the two scopes are a mystery to me. If you have any good resources I''d love to look at them.

However, I''m not too versed on determining whether or not they''ve been treated (if it''s really possible at all).

Also any suggestions on what NOT to buy would be greatly appreciated.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2010 5:48:04 AM
Author: davi_el_mejor

Also any suggestions on what NOT to buy would be greatly appreciated.
Anything that sounds too good to be true - vendors in 99.9% of the cases know very well what they have and what''s it worth. Also, none of them are a charity organisation, so don''t fall for "I''ll give it to you for a third of it''s real value" type of stories.

P. S. To determine the level and type of treatment you really need a lot of very sophisticated and expensive equipment (not to mention knowledge), so only laboratories can do that with a reasonable degree of acuracy.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome davi_el_mejor
35.gif

Beautiful kunzite, I love that color!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results