shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey, it''s Friday the 13th! Are you superstitious?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, Friday the 13th has never been a memorably bad day for me, but I do tend to think, "Uh Oh!" when I see it on the calendar.

I don''t like to walk under ladders, open umbrellas inside, or break mirrors. I sorta think there''s some logic to those things being, not exactly bad luck, but accidents waiting to happen. If you walk under a ladder you could jar it and your paint can could fall off. If you open an umbrella inside you could knock something over and break it, and of course breaking a mirror causes a big mess and you could cut yourself while cleaning it up, or later if you miss a little shard.

Do you have any little quirky superstitions you actually observe?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 9:45:01 AM
Author:lumpkin
Personally, Friday the 13th has never been a memorably bad day for me, but I do tend to think, ''Uh Oh!'' when I see it on the calendar.

I don''t like to walk under ladders, open umbrellas inside, or break mirrors. I sorta think there''s some logic to those things being, not exactly bad luck, but accidents waiting to happen. If you walk under a ladder you could jar it and your paint can could fall off. If you open an umbrella inside you could knock something over and break it, and of course breaking a mirror causes a big mess and you could cut yourself while cleaning it up, or later if you miss a little shard.

Do you have any little quirky superstitions you actually observe?
Funny you mention this Lumpkin! My Friday the 13th have usually been the BEST days. I embrace their superstitiously creepy natures, and make the best plans for those days! Today I am going to an amazing dinner with friends and we are all going to see the midnight showing of Harry Potter at the IMAX here in NY. (minus amazing chocolate) I can''t imagine a more fun way to spend it! I think it''s ideal, and so far...so good!!
36.gif

Get a different perspective, it changes everything!
9.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Well...today is my Birthday, and 13 is my Lucky number. In some cultures the number 13 is associated with luck, not BAD luck. It''s usually a great day for me...I am hoping that today my 1.76 diamond solitaire gets finished, and I can put it on my finger! If not, I will have to wait until Monday, but seeing it is the "13th", I am optimistic I will have it today! I will also go out and buy $13 worth of lottery tickets, and hope I can then buy a matching diamond band for the solitaire! lol

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
No, usually I forget the connection. Of course today of all days I need to get an MRI
32.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Happy brithday beau13
emotion-19.gif
emgift.gif
emcake.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a great day!

I am usually not so superstitious about Friday the 13th. But, I won''t go out and buy something with the number 13 in it. I actually very seldom think about the day itself.

On the other hand, I like the numbers 7 and 17, so I am usually trying to buy something with those numbers. Even when I got my new car the license plate had a 14 and since they were in sequence, I asked if they could just give me the license plate with 17 instead. They obliged...

I wonder what the history is behind the numbesr and wny one is considered unlucky and vice versa.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the B-day wishes Vegas Angel! Good luck with the MRI, everything will be fine...believe me!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, here's an article about 13 being bad: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0212_040212_friday13.html

I am not at all superstitious about the number 13 or anything else. I do get a good laugh every time we go to a hotel and there is no 13th floor or room 13, 113, 213, etc. It actually bothers me a bit as it seems so silly.

Happy Birthday Beau!
emgift.gif
emcake.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, today is my birthday too! Happy Birthday Beau13!! I was actually born on a Friday the 13th with a full moon no less so I get excited when my birthday is on a Friday. My hunny is home from work for me today and I randomly got a free grande Starbucks, so today has been pretty luck so far. Also, I think having the 7 and the 13 in a birthday (7/13) is really lucky. I hope everyone has a great day!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with Nicrez- Friday the 13th is a good day for me. I usually have a party or go out to have fun with friends of mine. Haven''t had a ''bad'' time.

A neighbor we used to have was superstitious of me. She would say to other neigbors "oh it''s the 13th, stay clear of that weird girl in black". She had other issues with me anyway (me Wiccan, her a hard-core Bible-thumper) and she wouldn''t let her kids talk to me.

I don''t have superstitions. My mom does big time. She freaks out when she sees black cats, crows, ladders, broken mirrors. Ususally on a Friday 13th, she will make sure that she doesn''t have to leave the house.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
naw
*knocks on wood*
*throws salt*

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday!!!! to beau13 and indecisive!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 10:37:18 AM
Author: strmrdr
naw
*knocks on wood*
*throws salt*
ha ha this is exactly how i feel about it too.

i will say i am typically happier when they are over because i feel like somehow things are more PRONE to go wrong on Fri 13th. not sure why.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday Beau13 and Indecisive! Certainly not a bad day for either of you!

I''ve never had a bad Friday 13th so I think for me it''s just kind of a fun uh-oh, not a OMG UH-OH!!! I''m kind of amused by my observance that it''s Friday 13th.

Do you have any good luck rituals? When I was a kid I had a rabbit''s foot key chain.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have no problem with the 13th, we're getting married on Oct.13 and even though it's not a friday this year, it will be sometime. So we don't mind at all.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Beau and Indecisive!!!

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not superstitious! Today is Friday the 13th and I was told I''m granted a scholarship to study in Australia!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
WOW...Happy Birthday Indecisive!! I have 2 friends who have the same Birthday, now I know of another gal born on such a special day! I never thought of 07/13 being Xtra lucky...7 is a lucky number, so is 13 (in my eyes). My son wears 7 on his hockey jersey, I tried getting my oldest son to wear 13 on his jersey..but he refused, and picked 10! lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always thought it was a lucky day :) They''ve always been fun - maybe it is the heightened excitement but they always stood out as better than average days!

Picos

Rough_Rock
To me, any friday the 13th is not a bad day, lol. I have a black cat (not all black) and he runs "across" my path quite often, trying to beat me to the food, etc.

I''m not superstitious; I won''t walk under a ladder but that''s because I dont want it to fall on me.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
triskaidekaphobia \tris-ky-dek-uh-FOH-bee-uh\, noun:
A morbid fear of the number 13 or the date Friday the 13th.

Triskaidekaphobia is from Greek treiskaideka, triskaideka, thirteen (treis, three + kai, and + deka, ten) + phobos, fear.

In Christian countries the number 13 was considered unlucky because there were 13 persons at the Last Supper of Christ. Fridays are also unlucky, because the Crucifixion was on a Friday. Hence a Friday falling on the thirteenth day is regarded as especially unlucky.

Some famous triskaidekaphobes:

Napoleon
Herbert Hoover
Mark Twain
Richard Wagner
Franklin Roosevelt

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday beau13 and indecisive! My birthday is also on a 13th. I've always loved the number 13. No superstitions here!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I just noticed! Heh, No, I''m not supersticious. I''ve been having a nice slow day off work...
9.gif

Happy birthday beau13 and indecisive!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, not superstitious about anything. My mother always has been, her biggest one is opening an umbrella indoors. I worked in retail for a long time and so many people opened umbrellas inside the stores I worked in, she would''ve fainted if she''d seen how many people did that!

I don''t consider myself a "lucky'' person, either. Although like Butterfly17, I do love numbers 7 and 17...my birthdate has three 7''s in it so maybe that''s why I like those numbers!

well, my brother was born on October 31, my sister on Friday the 13th and me...well, Thursday the 13th of August...not quite Friday, but still, close enough. Nontheless, I would prefer not to have any bad luck right now thank you. I was very unhappy when I read this thread title, always get nervous something will happen just before I go that will make me miss my flight...
7.gif
but 13 is acctualy one of my lucky numbers
2.gif
(well, if I had any anyway.)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people think Fri the 13th can be lucky...we closed escrow on some land near our current home today and so I was a bit apprehensive, WHY did hubby have to pick THAT date?? But all was fine.

If I spill salt I toss some over my shoulder, cannot recall if it should be the left so then I do both and wonder if I negated the effects.

All black cats without one touch of white spook me a bit.

I knock wood to ward something off or spit if someone said something not great.

Vegas, hope all is well. MRI's aren't awful but they ain't great either!

Gladys, congrats! I recall you were waiting for your answer.

nicolejrx

Shiny_Rock
Hehe,
My husband and I got married on Friday October 13th of 2006, so I would have to say not! We had some fun with the date and now every Friday the 13th is a special day that we share together!
Nicole

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noop, but it did turn out to be a bad day (it involved mean people, among other things).
29.gif

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry it was a bad day Harriet!

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I will admitt I am totally guilty of the knock on wood superstition. I also have to throw salt over my shoulder if I spill some
37.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
How was YOUR Birthday Indecisive? Did you do anything special, did it turn out to be a great Friday the 13th?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just for the record, I had a REALLY great day yesterday :) My husband had all 3 of my kids and the child of a friend and we spent HOURS shopping and eating and laughing... I think I got home at 9:45 LOL... so about 12 hours hehehe....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results