carat
color
clarity

Hey, DF

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tristan. :wavey:

I'm loving my Konosuke 240 mm Gyuto and 120 mm Petti knives.
IIRC, the steel I chose was Hitachi White #2.
Both have Octagonal Ho wood handles and buffalo horn ferrules.

Thanks for turning me on to high carbon Japanese knives, I mean lasers.
They make using my German 4-Star Henckels set feel like cutting with round bamboo chopsticks.
When I enter the produce section of the grocery store all the tomatoes run away screaming.
They fall through thick carrots as if cutting warm butter.

Do you know how I could find the original angles Konosuke put on the blades?
Do you know if the angles of the two edges was non-symmetrical?
After a couple years of use I want to hone them on a stone but the original angles are long gone since i have only touched them up on a ceramic rod.
I bought an edge pro sharpener and an angle gauge.

Is this a threadjack?
Yes, but don't argue with me; I got a knife. :twisted: :D

screen_shot_2014-12-05_at_9.png

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Good to know it's one and the same DF. Don't be surprised if I reach out to you for advice. Are you a heavy collector?
Thanks for the kind words, it was either the timezone or the grand lange 1 moon phase. I actually think you made the right call on rose gold vs plat. The warmth and contrast with that special blue on the moon phase is magic :)

Great to hear that you're happy with the knives Kenny. That's a wicked looking patina you have there.
I'm not familiar with edge pro at all, though there are many who are and they have tables etc. I think most makers finish on stones after the larger grinding wheels post forging to shape. That's how many Japanese knives have that odd concave convex grind going that enables less sticky friction when you're going through produce.

I do hand sharpening too. It's time for you to cross to the dark side.
There are beautiful natural stones that are amazing at sharpening knives. You can geek out at rarity, graining, looks and performance. They also have electron microscope pictures of the edges for the true photo science nerd. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1418382507|3799964 said:
Good to know it's one and the same DF. Don't be surprised if I reach out to you for advice. Are you a heavy collector?
Thanks for the kind words, it was either the timezone or the grand lange 1 moon phase. I actually think you made the right call on rose gold vs plat. The warmth and contrast with that special blue on the moon phase is magic :)
No I don't collect watches. I buy watches to wear on my wrist. My max would probably be like 4 watches. Love your Lange TZ in RG.. ;))

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Then we are of a similar mindset. I plan to get maybe 5 in all... But I need 3years each time to save up between purchases.
Wish I had cheaper hobbies.
Psst, it's WG. I know you didn't just make me second guess which metal I would like more! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1418408149|3800134 said:
Then we are of a similar mindset. I plan to get maybe 5 in all... But I need 3years each time to save up between purchases.
Wish I had cheaper hobbies.
Psst, it's WG. I know you didn't just make me second guess which metal I would like more! :)
Doesn't matter still the same beautiful movement inside... ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results