shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Chicago people, when's that snow storm supposed to hit?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Hey Chicago people, when's that snow storm supposed to h

Jackie, maybe the ambulance and pizza guy could have helped to tow the plow out of the driveway. (See what you get for moving out to the 'burbs! :tongue: )

LOL, Lil Misfit, apparently the owner of the the white jeep took the marketing materials a little too seriously in assessing what his vehicle was capable of... !

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock

There's a Saturn out there now trying the same thing {shakes head in disbelief}....

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock

Haven|1296676500|2840919 said:
MagsyMay--That's crazy that your car is covered and that other car is barely touched!

I know, right? My luck! ;(

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

MagsyMay|1296683314|2841070 said:
Haven|1296676500|2840919 said:
MagsyMay--That's crazy that your car is covered and that other car is barely touched!

I know, right? My luck! ;(
You've probably done this already, but just in case: get that car cleared now before it becomes an ICE BALL! Seriously, DH and I spent the afternoon clearing my car and our driveway and walkways because that snow is going to FREEZE tomorrow! :blackeye: ;(

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock

My husband did the other car earlier and is out doing this one right now! It is getting soo cold already! We're going away for the weekend leaving tomorrow (IF we can get off our street...) so I am scared to what I'll return home to on Sunday.

I've had enough!! It was fun for a little yesterday, now I'm ready for it to be gone!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haha--I agree! This snow is going to be here for a while, though--we aren't going to have high enough temps to melt it for over a month.

Have a fun trip, and be safe driving!

I just got the call that my school is closed again tomorrow. I hate snow days because I hate losing instructional time. ;( It will be nice to have more playtime with the pups, though, but I'm thinking it might be too cold for them tomorrow.

April20

Ideal_Rock

Guys, I'm going to be back in your fair, snowed in, city next Tuesday morning for a meeting. Y'all will have dug out by then, right?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

We'll be all dug out by then, April, but everything is going to be FROZEN! Be sure to bring extra warm clothes!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock

Haven|1296693563|2841346 said:
We'll be all dug out by then, April, but everything is going to be FROZEN! Be sure to bring extra warm clothes!

DH and I saw 4 cars try the do something similar on our street. I said we should put a sign up, "You cannot drive down Erie. Back up and take the alley." The alley goes right out to a main drag and an army of 8 shoveled the whole thing clear this afternoon.

Then DH and I were walking down the street and he saw some guy stuck. Him and another good samaritan neighbor started to help him push and shovel the car out. What's that guy doing while this is happening? Sitting in his car :rolleyes:

omieluv

Ideal_Rock

Too much frigging snow!! We spent over 5 hours shoveling today...I am so over it. At least my dog had fun.

April20

Ideal_Rock

Hey Guys, since I know y'all love food and all that... I'm flying into O'hare next Monday afternoon. Land at 5ish. I have to stay out in Lake Forest this time. Anybody know where I should eat (non-chain) out in the 'burbs?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

April20|1296766618|2842126 said:
Hey Guys, since I know y'all love food and all that... I'm flying into O'hare next Monday afternoon. Land at 5ish. I have to stay out in Lake Forest this time. Anybody know where I should eat (non-chain) out in the 'burbs?
Ooh, you're going to be in my 'hood this time!

Lake Forest is smaller and it doesn't have a ton of restaurants.

Lovell's is probably Lake Forest's most notable restaurant. It's very nice, a bit fancy shmancy, and owned by astronaut Jim Lovell, of Apollo 13 fame. It isn't the most amazing meal you'll ever have, but it's a nice atmosphere and everything is very well executed. There are some cool memorabilia in the restaurant, too.

The Grille on Laurel is good, too. It's more city-ish, and has a livelier atmosphere. The food is good. It's a bit pricey, too--but you'll be in Lake Forest, everything's pricey!

Lake Forest is north of Highwood, which has a little strip of great restaurants, and Highland Park, which has a great little downtown area with some great restaurants, too.

Highwood Recs:
- Bridie McKenna's. Delicious Irish food. They have live Irish music on Tuesdays, too. And the best pint in the state. :cheeky: The bar often fills up, too, so it's a nice place to hang out if you have some time to kill. It's the closest to authentic Irish food we've been able to find since our trip to Ireland.
- If you like fresh desserts, visit The Bent Fork. YUM! It's tiny, but delicious. Definitely worth a little treat to enjoy while you're on your business trip.
- Sage Grille is a good place to go if you're looking for fine dining but you don't want to drive to the city. Their chef is a saucier (sp?) so the sauces on the dishes are really heavenly. It's contemporary American food. We've had delicious meals and good meals there, so it isn't the most consistent place, but we've never had a bad meal.

Highland Park Recs
- If you like pizza, Viccino's is the place to go. They only have a couple of bar stools in the place, but the pizza is THE BEST. We get our deep dish exclusively from Viccino's. (By the way--the Highland Park Lou Malnati's is terrible. Not worth a try. Stick to the city locations.)
- Norton's is a neighborhood bar with decent food and an hilarious atmosphere. DH calls them the crazy suburbanites. People are strange around here, definitely a great place for people watching.
- La Casa de Isaac has great Mexican food.
- Stash's is a small hot dog joint with baked potatoes and salads and stuff, too. But I feel compelled to recommend it to people because a friend once told me that he'd kill a small child for their cheese fries. SO, if you like cheese fries, Stash's is the place to go.

I hope you enjoy your time here! If you're hankering for a Chicago steak there's a Morton's in Northrbook, which isn't too far from Lake Forest. Their cajun ribeye is to die for.
And the Botanic Garden is beautiful in the winter. Definitely a good place to walk around if you can brave the cold!

April20

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Haven!! The Sage Grille sounds great. I may give that a try. I'm very into contemporary American food. There are some great examples in ATL and I'm always looking for good ones in other cities.

Is the Grill on Laurel sort of outside of a little downtown area with maybe some train tracks adjacent? It sounds really familiar and I think I ate lunch there last winter.

I need your weather to thaw out a bit so I don't freeze my tail off!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results