shape
carat
color
clarity

Hermès being sued for how they maintain Birkin & Kelly bag scarcity

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a lot of full size Hermes products staying at the Burj and 4 amenity kits of Hermes goodies from Emirates - that’s it for me, spending tens of thousands on a handbag and expecting to be grateful for the ‘privelege’ is just obscene.

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Interesting article! I don't have enough wealth to purchase a Birkin product but if someone handed it down to me, I wouldn't say no either...haha... In the end, leather is leather, whether it is a luxury brand or not. It doesn't last forever, which is why jewelry seems to be more appealing overall!

An item is only worth however much a buyer is willing to pay for it. It happens that there are people who love the exclusive feel and are willing to pay for it. People value different things and I try not to say yay or nay to what they want to spend their excess funds on... in the end, material things are still material things.

From a business perspective, I would have thought it would be the seller's prerogative to use whatever strategy they want to make profits?? I believe Porsche also offers preferential treatment to those who have purchased before.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would spill soy sauce on it the first day! Have done it with several cheap bags even though I always try to be mindful! I should not be allowed expensive fabrics or goods!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went through a brief Hermes “phase” and bought some scarves plus a small handbag. I’ll never be a big enough buyer to be offered a Birkin, but I don’t really want one. It’s heavy, difficult to get into, doesn’t have a strap and looks ungainly, frankly it’s an unusable design. I sold my wee bag (for a big profit, to be sure) and that was that. Plenty of other brands are doing, or trying to do the same, though- Rolex, anyone?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i dont speak handbag but is the kind of bag Carrie Bradshaw would have owned?

how nice the company is a in the privileged position of being able pick and chose their customers,
most of us do not and will take anybodies money in this economy

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! Look at this cool stuff.
And the satisfaction that you made it yourself.
Screenshot_20240413-064353~2.png

that reminds be of the 1970's (not unkindly) when we all had leather phone book covers and hand crafted bags and purses and they had like carved leather art

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
I friend of my husband's has played this game with Hermes for his wife for years. He developed a relationship with a SA at the Paris store, and would fly over a few times a year to buy things, just to get their numbers up to hopefully be offered a bag. It took a few years, and close to $100,000 in purchases before they were finally offered a Birkin, and they didn't even get to choose the bag. Just "this one" or nothing. She now has 6 of them, and seems like she's just going to keep collecting them. He even changed his specialty (he's an MD) so he could make more $$ to support her shopping habit. It's rather grotesque, IMO.

How did she get such a supportive husband?!?!:lol::lol::lol:

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Food, a roof, education and health care: these are primary needs and they should be guarantee for everyone.
Since Hermes sells luxury items, I'm fine with their strategy and, even more, I applaude to it.
Same with Rolex.
Same with diamond industry.
I don't own any Hermes' purses: I think they're not worth the price, but it's just my opinion...I'm sure people around me don't get my love for diamonds and I'm sure they think I'm crazy/stupid/vacuous to spend money on useless carbon pieces (as I think they're nuts to spend money on acrilic nails, polyurethan purses and shoes, polyester clothes) ...to each their own!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I friend of my husband's has played this game with Hermes for his wife for years. He developed a relationship with a SA at the Paris store, and would fly over a few times a year to buy things, just to get their numbers up to hopefully be offered a bag. It took a few years, and close to $100,000 in purchases before they were finally offered a Birkin, and they didn't even get to choose the bag. Just "this one" or nothing. She now has 6 of them, and seems like she's just going to keep collecting them. He even changed his specialty (he's an MD) so he could make more $$ to support her shopping habit. It's rather grotesque, IMO.

it is grotesque

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
How did she get such a supportive husband?!?!:lol::lol::lol:

Believe it or not, he married her for her family's money. But she doesn't have access to it yet, so..... awkward.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Believe it or not, he married her for her family's money. But she doesn't have access to it yet, so..... awkward.

...and after 20 Birkins and gallons of botox, he found out her real name was Anna Sorokin/Delvey...:lol::lol::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results