shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again, help with multicolor Tahitian strand

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
No no there will be no catastrophic consequences! If they don't put enough information or are too vague, you will get a call and need to clarify what is in the package. If they mislabel it you could be charged duties for the wrong type of merchandise, but it sounds like those fees are very low and perhaps not a concern. If they put the wrong value you can be charged incorrect taxes. These types of issues can cause delays and extend shipping time. So its more an issue of creating more paperwork and hassle than anything else.

I usually give some guidance to a vendor about how to complete the paperwork but that's coming US/UK to Canada. From China, with a vendor who likely does international shipping a lot, I would probably just leave it up to them. Ask for tracking and signature required though.

Thank you!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
One can only insure for the value stated, so there is a very good reason to ask the vendor to state the value correctly. Ask for it to be insured for the full value. You want to be able to get the full value back if it is lost.

Also, just saying: I would NOT give my SSN to a vendor for any reason. Nope!

Got it!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I was looking at this same vendor’s other multicolor strands and they DO lose their overtones indoors in unflattering light (as I would expect). The below strand is flipped in the second photo but I think it’s the same one:

IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

The strand I bought in similar light conditions seem to hold on to its overtones a lot better (I’m really hoping it’s not too good to be true ie that there’s some dye/irradiation going on…):

IMG_1132.png
IMG_1082.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never heard of irradiation for Tahitians. For freshwater pearls, yes-- that is how they get the faux-Tahitian look with fwp. But they don't really look like Tahitian colors...not really.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at the “other big pearl forum”—not allowed to link to it, but Jeremy Shepherd (head of Pearl Paradise) says, “I wouldn't say Tahitian pearls aren't treated. For the most part they aren't, except as mentioned above (chocolate and pistachios). But there are companies in China that coat, heat and color Tahitians that might otherwise be considered unsaleable. There is one company called Shanghai Pearl that exhibits at most of the shows in Hong Kong and they typically have baskets and baskets strands that are treated junk…
A lot of times they appear to have micro-cracks all over them. I've seen coated ones too that you can prick with a needle.”

Not able to find a photo of said treated pearls however.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I was looking at this same vendor’s other multicolor strands and they DO lose their overtones indoors in unflattering light (as I would expect). The below strand is flipped in the second photo but I think it’s the same one:

IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

The strand I bought in similar light conditions seem to hold on to its overtones a lot better (I’m really hoping it’s not too good to be true ie that there’s some dye/irradiation going on…):

IMG_1132.png
IMG_1082.jpeg

They do lose some color in crappy ligjt. But generally speaking, baroque pearls have stronger color than round (no idea why, just my observation). So that's my explanation for why the round strand looses more color than yours. But yours looks pretty realistic in terms of color loss so I don't think it's treated.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shipping insurance covers the seller not the buyer. If it’s lost in the mail then the seller would make the claim. You would have to then trust them to refund you or use PayPal buyer protection. Just FYI.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
They do lose some color in crappy ligjt. But generally speaking, baroque pearls have stronger color than round (no idea why, just my observation). So that's my explanation for why the round strand looses more color than yours. But yours looks pretty realistic in terms of color loss so I don't think it's treated.

Thanks! I’ve felt that way too: the circle pearls tend to be especially intense in color. Have no idea why.

I posted in the other “unmentionable” Pearl forum just now lol, will report back and share my knowledge if I hear anything that may be valuable to PSers here.

I’m definitely having some sort of odd mental gymnastics episode: to have finally attained something I’ve wanted for years now suddenly makes me stupidly doubting my incredible good luck if that makes sense lol.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I’ve felt that way too: the circle pearls tend to be especially intense in color. Have no idea why.

I posted in the other “unmentionable” Pearl forum just now lol, will report back and share my knowledge if I hear anything that may be valuable to PSers here.

I’m definitely having some sort of odd mental gymnastics episode: to have finally attained something I’ve wanted for years now suddenly makes me stupidly doubting my incredible good luck if that makes sense lol.

Makes complete sense. Try to forget you bought it (I try to do this when I order international haha)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shipping insurance covers the seller not the buyer. If it’s lost in the mail then the seller would make the claim. You would have to then trust them to refund you or use PayPal buyer protection. Just FYI.

Yes, but if the seller gets their full money back in the event of a lost shipment, they will be more likely to refund you willingly, since it would not be coming out of their pocket. I'm not sure what PayPal's buyer protection in the case of international shipments. I'd want to play it safe and be sure it was fully insured, even if I had to pay for the insurance fee.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at the “other big pearl forum”—not allowed to link to it, but Jeremy Shepherd (head of Pearl Paradise) says, “I wouldn't say Tahitian pearls aren't treated. For the most part they aren't, except as mentioned above (chocolate and pistachios). But there are companies in China that coat, heat and color Tahitians that might otherwise be considered unsaleable. There is one company called Shanghai Pearl that exhibits at most of the shows in Hong Kong and they typically have baskets and baskets strands that are treated junk…
A lot of times they appear to have micro-cracks all over them. I've seen coated ones too that you can prick with a needle.”

Not able to find a photo of said treated pearls however.

Ugh, I didn't remember that post of his, but I looked it up and found it now. I guess there are always a few bad apples. Hopefully not your seller.
I've never seen photos of the pearls Jeremy described.

I think the high price tag is because there are so many pearls with vivid overtones. The seller is making her profit of course, but they cannot have been inexpensive for her to buy, especially if she selected them individually from loose lots.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like PayPal does cover international shipments:

Thank you for taking the time to check for me, you are my pearl guardian angel!

Fingers crossed, I’ll update as soon as I get them, until then I’ll try to have a glass and relax…

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, but if the seller gets their full money back in the event of a lost shipment, they will be more likely to refund you willingly, since it would not be coming out of their pocket. I'm not sure what PayPal's buyer protection in the case of international shipments. I'd want to play it safe and be sure it was fully insured, even if I had to pay for the insurance fee.

Yes, that makes sense. At the same time I wanted to clarify the fine print, since sellers seem to think that it is the buyers problem if it is lost in the mail (it is not, the buyer still technically owns the item until you receive it) and buyers often think that if they pay for insurance they will be the beneficiary (they are not, the seller is). I would hate to see any buyer think that because they purchased chipping insurance they are safe! They will still need to rely on the buyers ethics and ideally on the protection from PayPal or another company with protections (eBay).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_1141.jpeg
IMG_1142.jpeg

IMG_1132.png
IMG_1082.jpeg

looks like they take all there best photos in the loo

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my very modest pearl purcheses come from China and usually get here (NZ) within the week so i hope its quicker for you, mine always get help up for a day at customs -maybe they red flag China here ???

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
my very modest pearl purcheses come from China and usually get here (NZ) within the week so i hope its quicker for you, mine always get help up for a day at customs -maybe they red flag China here ???

Thank you! Hopefully it will be drilled and strung by early next week per vendor, and she quoted shipping as 4-5 days.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy for you that it's ready to ship! Waiting is so hard!

It's very colorful, but I just have to say that I have noticed that clear plastic over pearls brings out the overtones. e.g. if pearls are in a plastic bag, they tend to look more colorful than when they are not under plastic. It's like the plastic film acts like a filter.

Last edited:

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
The roller coaster ride continues:

1. Good news: the “other” pearl forum including lots of very wise folks who are well known preferred PS pearl vendors and so in their own right masters/mistresses of pearl knowledge weighed in on the pearls and don’t believe this strand is treated in any way, judging by the appearance of the pearls and the color. So I think I may save myself the trouble of sending to GIA.

2 Better news: the pearls have shipped! Will arrive later this week

3. Bad news: my husband who is a contract physician was just informed—or should I say blindsided by the fact that—his contract will not be renewed. Aka out of a job. Which makes me feel SUPER guilty about purchasing a 6k strand at such an inconvenient time…definitely a curveball no one saw coming at all.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow...that is rough. :(2
My husband had several layoffs during his working years. It's upsetting and very unsettling. It can take a while to find a new job.
But you know, each time he did find another job... and your husband will, as well.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow...that is rough. :(2
My husband had several layoffs during his working years. It's upsetting and very unsettling. It can take a while to find a new job.
But you know, each time he did find another job... and your husband will, as well.

Thank you for your kind words—I’m sorry your hubby had to go through that too. The waiting/starting to search for a job is always stressful. Yes, I’m sure you are right.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's never a convenient time to lose a job. But sometimes it's extra bad timing.

The first time my husband was laid off, it was 4 days before Christmas. We had to immediately suspend our our attempts to start a family and our search for a house. (I was 37 so I was anxious about the delay!) But it all worked out. Three months later he had a job; a month after that we had a signed contract on our house, and 2 years later to the day, our daughter was born. :)

The second time he was laid off, he was 61 and faced overt age discrimination when he went for interviews. Actual comments about his age. It took longer to get a new job that time, but he eventually did. So we decided we could now afford to replace my engagement ring (it had been his great aunt's ring; not my style at all, and needed extensive repairs). Two weeks later he was let go from the new job; the owner decided his skills were not what they needed. So I feel you when you say you feel guilty about spending $$$ at an inconvenient time! But what was done was done, and yes, he did get another job a month later. And I have my nice ruby ring. ;)2

Your husband will get a new job, and you will be glad you got your pearls!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results