shape
carat
color
clarity

Here or there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. Im new here and have spent some considerable time browsing through everyone''s posts. I have been doing a lot of research as of late and have learned a lot about diamonds. The plan is to propose the second week in may while on vacation...location still TBD. Anway, I have pretty much determined that I will go in one of two directions...

1) Buy in the States from an online dealer. You all have had such great experiences that I feel much more comfortable doing so. Aside from the sites that you all have mentioned...BN, GOG, etc, etc...has anyone heard of diamondsourceva.com? I found them while doing a search and they seemed ready and willing to help out. They do the whole ship and check before buying thing. They dont do design themselves but I think I am less worried about that now after reading a post about getting a simple setting and letting her do the picking later...she constantly reminds me of the sex in the city episode about the ugly ring...I am scared to death lets just say. Anyway...buying online from a domestic site is the first option.

2) Fly on over to Antwerp and buy a diamond there. I have a buddy in the service who is in Amsterdam and, coincidentally, is looking too! Everything I read says that something like 70% of US diamonds come from Antwerp, it is the diamond capital, yadda yadda. So that is option 2.

I havent yet settled in on exactly what I want but here is what I think...I am gearing towards an F, no less that VS2, around a carat (more or less depending on $$)...I dont know what else to include here. My budget is around 10K...maybe a little more, but not much. Is this realistic? Can I get a good diamond within that budget? Oh...round or princess, but I read that princess'' chip easier, so now I am thinking round.

I was originally settled on H&A, but have since come across Eightstar and some special H&A at GOG. Also, in Antwerp they tout the Antwerp cut diamond...which is suppossedly like the American ideal or H&A...but better. Anyone heard about this? So now I dont know which direction to head in with regard to this.

So I guess my questions boil down to:

1) Anyone have experiences buying in Belgium?
2) Should I consider flying over there?
3) With that budget, is it worth the time and $$ to get over there? (flight about $500 and Ill stay with my buddy)
4) Other q''s posed above about budget, Antwerp cut.

Any other suggestions as to where and what I should look for are greatly appreciated!!!!

Ryan

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah...with the sex and the city thing said...anyone have any suggestions as to how to handle the setting? Like I said, I am comfortable giving the plain and then letting her choose the ''real'' setting, but I kinda wanted to do it all. Our tastes just seem to collide here and I dont wanna mess up. Suggestions??

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had the amount of money you had to spend, I would:

1. Buy in the US, either on-line or from a reputable jeweler you know and trust. I like supporting businesses in this country and if something is amiss with your purchase, how easy is it for you to fly back over to Antwerp?

2. You'll have to decide what shape stone your girl wants. Your budget certainly will permit a really stunning stone set in a beautiful setting.

3. The ladies on the forum can help you with settings, but you should have an idea what your girl likes. Have you and she been shopping? Does she like platinum? Does she want side stones? there are things you should explore before asking for advice.

Bottom line from me is shop USA. Know what you want in terms of quality and have an idea what your intended will enjoy and you'll make a homerun........

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice...I never thought about the possibility of having to fly back over there should I have any problems.

As for your other questions...

I am looking for round cut, platinum setting. We have been shopping, but I am trying to make this as much of a surprise as I possbibly can. She goes back and forth between side stones and no side stones.

My favorite styles so far are these:

http://www.heartsonfire.com/JewelryDet.aspx?fr=T&type=6&collID=BRIDAL&coll=Bridal&startrow=5&img=PreR
and
http://www.heartsonfire.com/JewelryDet.aspx?fr=T&type=6&collID=Timeless&coll=Timeless&startrow=0&img=TimBrdR

I like the front/back diamond look a lot and am trying to figure out a way to show her without being obvious. Is this setting too ''different'' that I should be worrying so much?

What else should I be trying to figure out with regards to the setting and ring?

The rings that she does show me are so varying in style that it is hard to pinpoint something...

I also know that she wants a chip set on the inside of the band...yes the inside...so "only she knows its there."

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ve got a good start with those styles and I hope the ladies will chime in here. What I would recommend against is Hearts on Fire. Not that there''s anything inherantly wrong with the stones, it''s just you''d pay more for the brand name than necessary to get a really good stone. This is a site all about diamond quality. The most important aspect is cut. There are many who have purchased incredible pieces from the on-line sellers, such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold and Wink Jones. If I were you, I''d contact all three and tell them what you want, show them the settings you posted here and I''m betting they can provide you wonderful service and quality.

It''s an overwhelming thing, this diamond buying. Let the experts help you and you won''t be led astray.

Good luck again.........

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Understood about the HoF brand name. Thats the way it is with all brands...someones gotta pay for the advertising...just happens to be us consumers. Anyway, are you saying to steer clear of brand name diamonds or the hearts and arrows in general? I really like the hearts and arrows look. What should I look for when searching for hearts and arrows and what cut, etc. is comparable to a hearts and arrows diamond??

Thanks,

Ryan

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Ryan........I''m not saying stay away from hearts and arrows, I''m saying it''s not necessary to pay for a brand, such as Hearts on Fire. Many peopel on this forum believe hearts and arrows is the way to go.

For me personally, I wanted a really well cut stone, one with a lot of fire and brilliance. I wanted my stone to be graded by GIA or AGS and I wanted it to be eye clean, meaning you can''t see any inclusions with just my eyes. I was fortunate to have a jeweler (independent - local) that I trusted and who helped me find the perfect stone for my needs and budget. It turns out my stone is likely just a premium cut, not ideal. It''s what one would call a 60/60 stone and I know there are some who don''t like them, but mine is really beautiful and looks as nice as anything I''ve seen in Tiffany. My stone isn''t hearts and arrows, it''s just a really pretty diamond and I''m really proud to have it.

Also, if I had one thing to do over with my own diamond purchase, I would have probably gone a little lower in clarity and maybe higher in size. My stone is 1.12 carats, G, VS2. After reading more of the posts on this forum, H stones that are really well cut with SI1 clarity that are completley eye clean can be really great values.

I''m not sure if my rambling is helpful. You can drive yourself crazy with diamond stats and even after you''ve selected something, you can be wracked with doubt and wonder if you got the ''right'' stone. I wouldn''t get too hung up on the name. I would just make every effort to learn as much as you can about the cut and buy that stone from a really reputable dealer, be it on-line, or from someone local you know and trust. Then look at the numbers to make sure there isn''t some really bad issue with the stone, hopefully you can see a brilliancescope, but when it comes down to it, trust your eyes or the eyes of someone you trust.

Again, good luck with this and keep us posted on your progress.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I think you have the right idea with the temporary setting, especially if you aren''t totally sure what she''d like.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too, would get the diamond as a solitare and then have her choose the setting....not as exciting, but she''ll get exactly what she wants, and you''ll have alot less stress about the whole ordeal.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are based in the U.S., I suggest that you buy in the U.S.

There is no extra benefit in coming to Antwerp, unless you are coming for our beautiful city, its history, its museums, the beer and the waffles.

Live long,

cardesigner

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 6:05:28 AM
1) Anyone have experiences buying in Belgium?
2) Should I consider flying over there?
3) With that budget, is it worth the time and $$ to get over there? (flight about $500 and Ill stay with my buddy)

Actually I did go to Belgium to visit Paul-Antwerp at Infinity, but only because I was in Europe anyway enjoying the beer and waffles
18.gif
In the end I chose one of this stones, but had it shipped one of his dealers in the US. So no need to fly there, but nice if you happen to be visiting anyhow.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Re: The setting, you can get a simple platinum Tiffany style setting for about $300-400 to propose with, and it won''t look cheap by any means. She might really like that, or might re-set it, but if so you aren''t out a lot in the scope of your total budget. If you did the simple setting in white gold it would be just about $100-200. Or, if you are pretty confident of her taste, you could go for a more expensive setting right off the bat. I like the side diamonds ("surprise" diamonds) a lot too.
Check out this one from Vatche. I think it is great! http://dvatche.com/eclipse/new_catalouge1.htm

My ring is made by this company and I''ve been very pleased. The only thing I''d want to be sure about is if a wedding band can sit flush against it (or any of the side diamond settings) and if you have to worry about a band damaging the side diamonds. If so, might be easier to get something else.

vatchesurprise.gif

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the advice. Again, more stuff I didnt even think of with the wedding band potentially scratching the side diamonds. Where would I be able to get a more definitive answer on this?

I am learning so much more from everyone here than I did over the past few months doing my own research and reading!! Thanks to everyone so far that has chimed in...

I am definitely going to give the ering a shot , though I am still up in the air about the setting...Im feeling out her friends on this one...

Will keep everyone updated.

Ryan

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ryan, if you are close to any of her friends, perhaps you could get one of them to take your girlfriend shopping and they could play in one of the better jewelry stores, like Mayors or Bailey Banks and Biddle and her friend could give you an idea what your girlfriend is drawn to. Chances are she''ll absolutely love anything you buy her, but it IMHO, it would be a shame to waste a few hundred dollars on a temp setting, when you could use that towards a better quality diamond.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you are in the US, buy in the US - you won''t run into import duties, warranty issues, etc.

I would propose with a simple Tiffany style setting. It''s classic & doesn''t break the bank if she wants to change the setting. When a guy proposes, gals want to wear the ring then and now.

If you don''t think she will like the simple solitaire setting, then, as another poster points out, have a good friend prime her for information whilst strolling through a jewelry store. There is always an upscale on in the malls with plenty of setting choices.

Good luck!

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Ok, this may seem like a stupid question and I know that, ultimately, it will depend on my girlfriend''s taste but...I would like to see what you all think here...

If I decide that a solitaire is best, should I spring for a bigger diamond that I would if I were to go with a three stone or something along those lines?

I guess it boils down to which y''all think is better...a bigger, single diamond or multiple, smaller diamonds??

Ideas??

Ryan

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I personally would much prefer a larger, better diamond than 3 smaller ones. I''ve never gotten into the 3 stone thing to much though, I think it is a debeers ploy to sell more diamonds. You can always go with the one beautiful big one now, and if you want to do the 3 stone thing, then do it later as an upgrade - or maybe when you have kids...
About the surprise stones scratching/being scratched by a wedding band, I''d check with a knowledgeable jeweler that carries the setting you are looking at.

rileyd99

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone...

I had a chance to look through some rings online with her last night. Here is what I found out and I need some help deciphering what it means and where I should go from here...

She wants something plain. However, she likes rings with diamonds around the band and she specifically liked the champagne setting at WF. She also said the 3 stone ring was too much and she didnt like it. How can a 3 stone be too much but diamonds around the band not be?

She did like the surprise diamonds...which I''m psyched about b/c that''s something I find really cool and unique...just got to figure out the scratching thing now.

She also said that she likes "when the band comes up to form the prongs." She showed me a pic in a magazine the other day, but I cant find it! Does anyone know what this means, or if I told a jeweler this, would they understand?

Any ideas??

Ryan

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Ryan,

This is where the ladies of the forum can help you. They are the most helpful group and they have an uncanny knack for understanding "guyspeak!" I''m betting they''ll help you find just the right setting.........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results