shape
carat
color
clarity

Here I go - e-ring shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

number2

Rough_Rock
my quest to find an e-rig. I went looking with my gf for settings to get an idea of what she would like, she seems to like a classic look with some pave on the sides. If anyone has any pictures so I can get some ideas - please post them.

As far as the rock goes, I have been studying this site for about a month now and I am looking in for 1ct, H, VVS2 - VS2... From being on this bord I realize that I definitely want an ideal cut, possibly a H&A from WF. But first I definitely want to go to a local B&M just to get ideas at first. Would they have any types of H&A at a local B&M or would they look confused if I asked them. I live by NYC (Rockland County), please let me know if anyone can recommend any B&M...And anyone please give me any feedback that you think might help me.

Thanks!!!

PS looking to have the ring by Xmas

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Definitely check out GOG on Long Island.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

number2

Rough_Rock
check those places out, I have heard them mentioned here before, but I did not realize they were close to me.

As far as the setting goes I am looking for something like this, but I have not been able to find too many setting that are similar...

settinggg1.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
That''s Boom''s setting.
It''s a Mark Morrell - and a fabulous one at that.

Scintillating...

number2

Rough_Rock
OK, I really like this setting except for one problem which I have circled. I like how the ring looks head on from the first picture I posted, but from the side I don''t like all of this "extra" metal. I think its just too much. Now is there a reason settings with stones on the side like this seem to always have that extra metal or can you get it without? I have spent all of my time educating myself on diamonds...now I feel like I haven''t a clue about settings...
33.gif

11afterset.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
from what you circled it looks like you might just want a standard 4 or 6 prong setting..

DM36500800_prof.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guess you don''t like a cathedral setting then??

number2

Rough_Rock
I just don''t think a cathedral would look right on my girlfriends hand...but why does it seem like if you want stones on the sides of the settings its always a cathedral? Is it possible to get the type of setting mrssalvo posted but with the stones on the side like in my first picture? Or is there a reason jewelers don''t do that? Or does it just look weird that way?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you can get a solitaire with shared prong set diamonds or channel set diamonds. Or get one made custom with the bead set diamonds like the first pic??

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Number2!

CluelessL made several collages a couple months ago of different micropave settings here. Not sure if that''s exactly what you''re looking for, but they all have lots of sparkle down the band without those extra little arms!

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Gottlieb & Sons carries a setting similar to what you are looking for. I am having trouble attaching the picture, but it in on www.gottlieb-sons.com, on page 8 of their Engagement and Wedding Sets, style #25316. Each stone is 4 prong set as opposed to shared prong -- safer than shared prong but still plenty of bling; and it is not a cathedral setting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think this is the one pebbles was talking about??

still.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks mrssalvo. I think all those gall bladder attacks are going to my brain.
26.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
White Flash has several 1 carat H VS2''s and an H VVS2, so I am sure you will find a great stone there if that''s what you decide.

Here are some settings from Vatche that might be similar to what you are looking for:

239-a.jpg

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
And another

533-b.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey there,
Just saw your post now .. I''m in Ulster County and I have two places to recommend to ya ... My fiance and I ended up getting my e-ring from a great jeweler in NYC''s diamond district: Golda Jewelry on 47th street (working with Albert). If you want to see & touch & feel in person without getting stuff mailed in, that could work for you. They had a bunch of settings to choose from and lots of in stock diamonds. We were also very happy with their "custom" work.

Closer to you, in Rhinebeck there is a wonderful jewelry store called Hummingbird Jewelers. I adored them & their selection - they just didn''t have Asscher cut stones in our size range on hand - which is why I ended up in NYC & met Albert/Golda. If they HAD had stones in the size I wanted - I would have purchased from them in a heartbeat. I''m sure I''ll shop both places to find our bands (and hopefully other baubles in years to come :) hee hee)

On the setting style front ... I think the "extra metal" you''re responding to is a "cathedral style". It makes any size center stone look larger on the hand. It also changes the look of how the side stones appear. I chose kind of a "semi-cathedral" which allowed the side stones to slope up toward the center gracefully, but not all the way. I didn''t want the stone "too high" but also didn''t like the look of just band & prongs sticking up from the ring. (Looks to me like the stone & head could just snap off at any time). Maybe you could find a compomise like I did.

Good luck! PM me if you''d like more info ..

Deco

blingfullside3.jpg

number2

Rough_Rock
Hello again... I have another question for everyone. I read somewhere that the difference between and ideal 0.9 ct. and 1.0 ct. is about the thickness of a sheet of paper...

Is this really true? Can you "see" the differnce between the two size?

chil1

Rough_Rock
Wow, I like this setting. Trying to decide between a Vatche X-Ring Plat or this one you just posted for a round.

Where do I find more information on these settings?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is true. you will save $$ by getting something just under the 1ct. mark as well. when searching for stones look at the dimensions (lxwxd) you will actually find .9 stones with the same dimensions as 1.0ct stones. i would rather pay for size than weight.

number2

Rough_Rock
It must be very hard to find something in between .90ct and 1.0ct because of this fact. I can't find anything above a .91ct online. Do you think a B&M would have more in that range?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2005 12:12:50 PM
Author: number2
It must be very hard to find something in between .90ct and 1.0ct because of this fact. I can''t find anything above a .91ct online. Do you think a B&M would have more in that range?
actually, i think b&m''s will have less in that range. they cater to people wanting the carat marks. also, it is my experience that well cut stones are harder to come by at b&m''s. it''s worth a try though...if you are so inclined.
i found some stones between .91 and .99 online...did you try expanding your search criteria?

number2

Rough_Rock
Just got back from my jewelry store. I found the setting I have been picturing in my head right away! The jeweler was amazed that I found it so quick and he said that rarely happens. All they have to do is remake it in platinum (it was white gold).

But when he came out with the stones I have to say I was not pleased with their collection. Everything he showed me looked really nice, but the stats just werent what I was looking for.

Now I told him to go ahead with the making the setting. I told him I would come back after Thanksgiving with my brother in-law (who just bought an e-ring last year from this place) to look at the diamonds again.
Would it be terrible to just get the setting from them, or bring in another stone from somehwere else? I would feel bad, but hey its my cash.

PS Thanks to everyone here on PS..I felt like a gemologist at the jewelry store with the knowledge I have gained here. But, now I think I know TOO MUCH and am just confused on stones.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it would be terrible, but have you inquired if they would be willing to set a loose stone? I think it''s really important to get the stone you want, and if their selection was less then what you expected, I would get a stone somewhere else.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, find the best stone for your $.

number2

Rough_Rock
So here is my question, since they are making the setting for me and really didn''t have any nice stones. Is it wrong to:

1) just buy the setting?
or
2) Bring a stone from somewhere else to be set...

Would they be pissed and make the prongs too tight and damage the stone??? That would be horrible...
ADVICE PLEASE!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you would have any problems, assuming a reputable full service store. Think of all the reasons people bring in loose stones - inherited it, upgrading their old setting, gift... or in your case bought it elsewhere. I think they will be glad to do the business of selling you the setting and setting the diamond. If you are really worried, you could buy the setting from them and take it to an independent jeweler for the setting process - although you might pay more for the work.

I''ve upgraded my setting and had a family heirloom reset. Each time the stores where I bought the setting were more than happy to accomodate. One even knocked several hundred dollars off a designer setting b/c I found it cheaper online.

I wouldn''t worry a bit. Buy the stone wherever you get the best price on the best rock.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results