shape
carat
color
clarity

Here comes the bride....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I believe it is the right of the church to say "no" just as the bride and groom have the right to be wed elsewhere. I can''t imagine that if she were a parishioner that she wouldn''t know this about the church and if their stance doesn''t match her value system, or that of her parents, why would she want to be married there in the first place?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if she''s a foreigner or not, but I agree with Kimberly...the church has the right to refuse. Fortunately we live in a country which is pretty accommodating to different cultures and wedding practices but I imagine if a church here refused to allow a ceremony where the bride had to come in crawling in behind the groom (I''m not comparing fathers walking brides down the aisle as the equivalent, btw!), the decision would have public support.

Respect the local culture. When in Rome. While traveling, it always amazed me how many people would blatantly exhibit moral and cultural superiority.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
People are so friggin'' ENTITLED. Geez ... it''s PRIVATE PROPERTY. It''s a *privilege* to be married there, not a RIGHT.
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2007 7:14:40 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I believe it is the right of the church to say ''no'' just as the bride and groom have the right to be wed elsewhere. I can''t imagine that if she were a parishioner that she wouldn''t know this about the church and if their stance doesn''t match her value system, or that of her parents, why would she want to be married there in the first place?
Ditto.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of the couple walking down the aisle together, I like the sentiment and the equality issue. However, I guess I''m glad I live in a country where you can pretty much do what you want as far as that part of the ceremony goes. I dunno. Obviously she should have known the custom of this particular church and planned accordingly. I know where I live there are officiants who won''t do outdoor weddings, etc., so you have to look at these issues while in the planning stage.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s a pretty cool idea to have the couple walk down the aisle together! Both of my parents walked me down the aisle, it was more symbolic that they were there to support me and my decision to marry my husband rather than them "giving me away" though...so I don''t know so much that I think it''s sexist and outdated that brides still have their fathers walk them down the aisle.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2007 8:52:37 PM
Author: monarch64
I think it''s a pretty cool idea to have the couple walk down the aisle together! Both of my parents walked me down the aisle, it was more symbolic that they were there to support me and my decision to marry my husband rather than them ''giving me away'' though...so I don''t know so much that I think it''s sexist and outdated that brides still have their fathers walk them down the aisle.
I agree. My father doesn''t own me... Him walking me down the aisle symbolizes the love and support he has given me all my life. Nothing more, nothing less.

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/23/2007 8:52:37 PM
Author: monarch64
I think it''s a pretty cool idea to have the couple walk down the aisle together! Both of my parents walked me down the aisle, it was more symbolic that they were there to support me and my decision to marry my husband rather than them ''giving me away'' though...so I don''t know so much that I think it''s sexist and outdated that brides still have their fathers walk them down the aisle.
Both my parents are also walking me down the isle. I had actually asked FI if he wanted to walk me down the isle (another PSer said it was like walking towards our future together). He said he liked the idea but since we''re doing so little in the way of tradition with our small, simple wedding that he''d like for the grandparents to see at least one tradition. I agreed with him because I was also afraid of hurting my parents'' feelings by not asking them to walk me down the isle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results