shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocoleo

Rough_Rock
35.gif
29.gif
please let me know if a price of $18,000 is right for a cut cornered square modified brilliant VVS2, even distribution of FANCY yellow 2.01 carat, table and depth range 64-69%, no culet, food symmetry, very good polish, no fluorescence. Ring has also two round side white diamonds G color grade VS1-VS2 set in yellow and white 18K gold. This fancy yellow is GIA certified.
experts...please let me know if the price is right??!!!!!!
mht

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry but I have no idea about that price. But I wouldn''t even consider it unless you have a week or two to get an appraisal and then return it if you decide against it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
one thread about this is enough..you won''t get more answers by starting more threads, only more confused! have you compared prices anywhere? did you look at other rings?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Most appraisers are reluctant to comment on the pricing of a stone which they have not seen personally because they realize it is not fair to the vendor or the consumer to do so.

This is especially true with fancy color diamonds. The color is the main determining factor of value, and not all fancy colors with the same word description are equal in value. The fancy color grades tend to have a lot of maneuvering room in them.

Some vendors comment on prices from time-to-time, but when a competitor comments on the "other guy's" prices the consumer never knows if they're being reasonable/realistic, or shooting a low ball price to make the other guy's piece seem overpriced and them more reasonable.

Your best bet is to check out comparables at fancy color sites, and then make your purchase contingent upon the diamond appraising out to your satisfaction with the independent appraiser of your choice. Make sure you have a reasonable right of return period for ANY reason.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 9:34:22 PM
Author:cocoleo
35.gif
29.gif
please let me know if a price of $18,000 is right for a cut cornered square modified brilliant VVS2, even distribution of FANCY yellow 2.01 carat, table and depth range 64-69%, no culet, food symmetry, very good polish, no fluorescence. Ring has also two round side white diamonds G color grade VS1-VS2 set in yellow and white 18K gold. This fancy yellow is GIA certified.
experts...please let me know if the price is right??!!!!!!
mht
the thing about yellow diamonds.there''re no price guide line to go by,unlike white diamonds.the price is just a guessing game. JMO

cocoleo

Rough_Rock
there has to be some kind of guideline since GIA certifies it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 9:49:35 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

The color is the main determining factor of value, and not all fancy colors with the same word description are equal in value. The fancy color grades tend to have a lot of maneuvering room in them.

very important information there.
gia may have graded the stone as a certain color, but there are variations within these color descriptors and therefore variations in price.

cocoleo

Rough_Rock
in the fancy shade of color...clarity is an important factor in setting the diamond value. since it is not an intense or vivid, clarity is important!!! however, the color of this stone when placed side by side with another intense yellow that was graded also by GIA and at about the same DATE on the certificates; they almost look identical. the color is evenly distributed and has tremendous sparkle. table and depth are within standard cut for the radiant cut. I just need to know the if the price is reasonable!! if someone who knows the market could help me out.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you have the ring sent to an indepentant appraiser to evaluate before you buy? If not, is there a return policy that you could have it appraised and if it didn't check out or it turns out it valued at a significantly different price you an return it? I am no expert on diamonds but no nothing about fancy yellows. As a consumer I'd want my stone appraised before or immediately after I buy. If they won't send it out or there is no return option, i'd pass. But that's me..I think your best bet is taking it to someone who can see it and is indepentant of a sale.

ETA: you might want to look at Diamonds by Lauren who sells loose fancy stones for some general ballpark figures. But i'd take Richard's advice seriously to heart..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute: haven't you just started another thread with the same question a minute ago?

If you definitely want to check on the match of answers, give the forum some time. There aren't enough posts around for two nearly consecutive ones to get lost and never answered by the same people.

Re. 'someone who knows the market' - well, there must be a return policy at the shop selling the ring. You can always ask an appraiser in the meantime what they think - ring in hand. And voila, you've got true expert answer.
34.gif

Date: 2/9/2006 10:52:26 PM
Author: cocoleo

in the fancy shade of color...clarity is an important factor in setting the diamond value. since it is not an intense or vivid, clarity is important.

Well, for the seller it is, but unless you have some symbolic meaning for it... from IF to VS nothing shows in there. And the same goes for every other buyer of 'fancy yellow'. Trying to count if many would not go for higher color or larger stones instead of idyllic clarity, doesn't give a clear cut answer to 'clarity first'.

And what's with the dates on the lab reports? Is there a code or something?

There aren't bucket fulls of 'fancy yellow' out there either, although these are not 'vivid'. I would ask a second opinion on the statement cited above, even if it had three exclamation marks in text
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 10:41:11 PM
there has to be some kind of guideline since GIA certifies it.
Yes. There are. It just so happens that a recent number of 'Gems and gemology' (loo it up at www.gia.edu) discusses how fancy color diamonds are graded. It costs $30 or something.

The catch with these fancy grades is that unlike the colorless grades these are rather broad - so observable differences in color are possible between stones. Maybe the two you have seen were not particularly different. What do I know.

Both in the picture below were graded 'vivid' - do the look the same to you? Sorry I don't have a similar scarecrow for 'fancy yellow'.

twod.JPG

cocoleo

Rough_Rock
geesh!!!! i just want to know if the price is good to buy. ofcourse i have asked around. and i am asking around right now. diamonds should have resell value since it''s not inexpensive. And the parameters to set its value are all important in setting the price. ofcourse i like the darn thing but i want to know if its value is rightous since a diamond like this is an investment besides being a sentimental thing. If someone who knows diamonds and can let me know about the price for this ring then write me a note. otherwise......

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 11:30:51 PM

If someone who knows diamonds and can let me know about the price for this ring then write me a note. otherwise......
Well, otherwise you could see what was answered for the same question before - you are not the first to ask about how yellow diamonds are priced.

I would think at least Richard here is a true expert, and you have his answer. Most charge for that.

On the other side, I don''t think sellers will underbid each other on your offer. It just doesn''t work that way.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 35px">Date: 2/9/2006 10:52:26 PM
in the fancy shade of color...clarity is an important factor in setting the diamond value. since it is not an intense or vivid, clarity is important!!! however, the color of this stone when placed side by side with another intense yellow that was graded also by GIA and at about the same DATE on the certificates; they almost look identical. the color is evenly distributed and has tremendous sparkle. table and depth are within standard cut for the radiant cut. I just need to know the if the price is reasonable!! if someone who knows the market could help me out.
In Fancy Color the clarity is only the third factor (but the jumps from the Clarity groups i.e. Imperfect, SI, and VS2+ are tremendous jumps).
second is Cut, modified cuts usually comand less than standart cuts, and there is a huge difference in price between Brilliant and Step cuts.
First is Color, Color, Color..., and for your information..., GIA grades Fancy Color Diamonds based on their Face-Up appearance...

As for the price, you would fool yourself if you think you can get a price quote from anyone without seeing the diamond..., Just like Richard posted...

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Ok...I am completely clueless when it comes to fancy yellow diamonds so don't criticize, but arne't fancy yellows typically cost more than white fancy diamonds?

If that is true then wouldn't a 2ct VVS2 yellow be a good deal, even if its not a vivid yellow b/c colorless fancy diamonds (DEF) cost more than that?
20.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2006 4:12:00 PM
Author: Kaleidoscopic
Ok...I am completely clueless when it comes to fancy yellow diamonds so don''t criticize, but arne''t fancy yellows typically cost more than white fancy diamonds?

If that is true then wouldn''t a 2ct VVS2 yellow be a good deal, even if its not a vivid yellow b/c colorless fancy diamonds (DEF) cost more than that?
20.gif

Youre confusing the word fancy...

Yellow Fancy colored diamonds can be of less value than DEF colors...,

cocoleo

Rough_Rock
then what is a good price RANGE for such a 2 carat fancy yellow then? that is GIA certified.
what is the price range for a .5 carat round G, VS also then?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results