shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with this Aqua?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This stone has stolen my heart! I just need help deciding if it is momentary lust, or worth a long-term committment.

It is 3.72 carat aquamarine, 7x11mm step cut with a gorgeous greenish blue color. It''s got a gorgeous face up presence. I love the color, although it can look a bit like coke bottle glass. It has tremendous sparkle. I don''t know of its origin or treatments right now (though I''m 75% sure it is unheated).

What are your opinions on the desirability? I''m attaching several pictures, both inside and out in the sun. Thanks for your help!!

upaqua1.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
pic 2

upaqua2.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
pic 3

upaqua3.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
pic 4

upaqua4.JPG

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Upgradable;

If it has stolen your heart; you answered your own question. I love the color; it is an intense greenish color; I doubt heat also. But it has a lovely glow. It also has a good size to it; I do like the honking huge round diamond you are sporting also
30.gif

But if you love it; I would say it is a keeper....

Merry christmas

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the green in that one! I think if you love it then keep it, it looks great on you!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I did love it upon first sight. But I didn't know if the glass green color was undesirable. I see the window, but would look to minimize that during setting. It will also need a repolish because it has obviously been knocking about on other stones for an unknown number of years.

And thanks, Dana, for the compliment on my ering. It's actually only a 1.4 carat. Not small, I know. But not honking by any means.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
like: color and size.
dislike: window. it would bother me.

but i''m not the one buying it or wearing it. if it "speaks" to you, it speaks to you. and that''s what counts in the end.

mz

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If it needs a repolish on the crown; you may want to get the cutter to clip the corners; it would give you more options when setting it; now that gold is so crazy in price. Just a thought.

But I do love a glowing green aquamarine; it takes on light like no other gem that color.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
Well I''m smitten by it! I do agree that the window is a negative but you can definitely look for settings to minimize. what settings do you have in mind?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
18.gif

Mark Morrell three stone.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
or

lustyLeon.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2009 7:24:08 PM
Author: movie zombie
like: color and size.
dislike: window. it would bother me.

but i''m not the one buying it or wearing it. if it ''speaks'' to you, it speaks to you. and that''s what counts in the end.

mz
Ditto that. As for green versus blue, many in the Western (USA) world like blue aquas but those in Asia (Japanese) prefer the green aquas. It''s just a personal preference.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s beautiful!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beryl that color. It''s actually a mint beryl, not an aqua, because it doesn''t contain iron. However, it has that green-blue color like your gem. I set it in yellow gold to bring out the minty color.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2009 7:40:06 PM
Author: Upgradable
or

OMG YES.
I love it Uppy, it is very YOU. Gah, and that color is killing me - I want one in that exact shade for my baby ring!
30.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
It''s gorgeous and so much more unusual because I believe the majority of blue aquas start off with a degree of green which is driven off by heat. Someone will correct me if I''m incorrect.

Please don''t send it back. Or if you do let me know ahead of time so I can have it.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
As it''s already said, if you fell for it, go for it. It''s what you like that counts, not what''s desirable - unless your social circles are such that wearing "the wrong stone" will cause pointed fingers... I love the color on that one, especially combined with a step cut. Maybe a halo setting of some sort could solve the window problem, but I think it''ll be lovely no matter what setting you choose. Just remember that inspiration pics with brilliant cut center stones (like the one with the cushion) won''t give you a real idea of how that setting would look with your stone, as step cuts are a whole other story.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2009 7:21:42 PM
I did love it upon first sight. But I didn't know if the glass green color was undesirable. I see the window, but would look to minimize that during setting. It will also need a repolish because it has obviously been knocking about on other stones for an unknown number of years.

And thanks, Dana, for the compliment on my ering. It's actually only a 1.4 carat. Not small, I know. But not honking by any means.
2.gif
Is it really grass green? While I think descriptives like that can be interpreted differently from one person to another, I have to tell you, I've never encountered a grass green aqua. Do you know for a fact it is an aqua. Please do not take offense to my question, it's just that we all have to be careful nowadays.

ETA: I see you called it "glass green." Was that a typo, did you mean "grass green?"

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Nope. Glass green.... like a soda bottle.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2009 6:50:42 PM
Author:Upgradable
This stone has stolen my heart! I just need help deciding if it is momentary lust, or worth a long-term committment.

It is 3.72 carat aquamarine, 7x11mm step cut with a gorgeous greenish blue color. It's got a gorgeous face up presence. I love the color, although it can look a bit like coke bottle glass. It has tremendous sparkle. I don't know of its origin or treatments right now (though I'm 75% sure it is unheated).

What are your opinions on the desirability? I'm attaching several pictures, both inside and out in the sun. Thanks for your help!!
Not many gemstones do that - so you have the answer right here.

In terms of desirabiity - well I'd desire it, you desire it, Gailey desires it and others do too! Don't forget, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it's within your budget and you will have it re-set to minimise the window then go for it! It's truly lovely.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2009 3:49:18 PM
Nope. Glass green.... like a soda bottle.
My apologies. Thanks for clarifying.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quick question for Upgradable:
I see no mention of who the vendor is and can understand not wanting to share your source. Is the vendor/you sure it isn't glass? That it is a real aquamarine? I hope you aren't offended by my questions as that is not my intention.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Not offended at all. The jeweler is the man I'' helping for the holidays. He purchased the stone himself somewhere overseas. It has just been too busy to get all the particulars from him. He''s the same guy who provided my star sapphire.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''d have it tested to make sure itis aqua. even knowledgeable color stone dealers get fooled periodically.

mz

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You know, as I keep looking at it, the window is becoming more and more distracting. I guess I''m not so mesmerized by the color as when I first saw it, and so the window is bothering me. Hmmmmmm...... I''m going to have to think on this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results