shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with that old 4th finger ring size.

daskeg

Rough_Rock
So I know her 3rd finger (middle finger) size is a 5 3/4 (L). I've witnessed her try the ring that's on this finger on her 4th finger and it slid right off if she held her fingers downward.

So I'm thinking the 4th finger should be around the 4 3/4 (J) area. She doesn't have knuckles which are wider than her fingers so I don't need to worry about that.

Am I on the right track with this estimate in size or should I be going smaller again?

daskeg

Rough_Rock
I should also mention that the ring on the middle finger sits loosely as well as she prefers them that way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, no to that formula! There just isn't an accurate way to determine that. For example, I wear a 5.5 on my ring finger, and just out of curiosity I went and tried on a ring sizer on my middle finger and for a loose fit, I wear an 8 (tighter fit, 7.5)!!! So I would guess smaller than 4 3/4.

I wish all guys would think ahead and give the girl some other kind of ring for a gift in order to have a way to know the correct ring size! But short of that, you'll just have to guess and hope that you are close! And as long as the shank is plain, it can easily be resized.

daskeg

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1339984140|3218440 said:
I wish all guys would think ahead and give the girl some other kind of ring for a gift in order to have a way to know the correct ring size! But short of that, you'll just have to guess and hope that you are close! And as long as the shank is plain, it can easily be resized.

If only I could. I've had only one request from my SO. And that's for it to be a surprise for her. So she would have no idea that I would be proposing, hence trying to get an idea of what the variances are in sizes between these 2 fingers.

Hopefully with enough info I can get a pretty good estimate to what it should be, so if it needs to be resized it will only be by 1/2 a size or so.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
the above idea is ideal, on the other hand, my fingers are exactly one size apart on each hand - to your formula may be right on.

My friend recently got engaged, her fiance didn't know her size so he sized it to his pinky finger which came out to a 7. 3 re-sizings later, it's still loose... she's a 4.

good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She may be smaller than you've guessed, but if it's sized too small she can't even try it on, whereas if it's a tiny bit big she can put it on and then get it resized later. My proposal was a complete surprise. He knew my fingers were small and thought I might be a 4. The jeweler talked him into 4.5. I could wear it that week and the next weekend I had it resized my correct size 4.25. Best of luck!

daskeg

Rough_Rock
motownmama|1339986884|3218463 said:
She may be smaller than you've guessed, but if it's sized too small she can't even try it on, whereas if it's a tiny bit big she can put it on and then get it resized later. My proposal was a complete surprise. He knew my fingers were small and thought I might be a 4. The jeweler talked him into 4.5. I could wear it that week and the next weekend I had it resized my correct size 4.25. Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply motownmama. Out of interest, do you know what size your middle finger is?

atp223

Shiny_Rock
To further confuse you (I'm sorry!) my middle finger is around a 5.75-6. My ring finger is a 4 when it's summer or I'm bloated, and a 3.75 in the winter. I have a cocktail ring in a size 5 and it's frustrating because it's big on my ring finger but cannot remotely be jammed in my middle finger. I also have normal sized knuckles...

Even if she wants the proposal and ring to be a complete surprise, couldn't you still subtly, casually ask her her ring size at some point? It's a fair question, especially if she knows you're going to propose SOME day. The other option would be to ask a close friend of hers. Her friends will be able to ask without causing as much suspicion!

daskeg

Rough_Rock
atp223|1340021490|3218623 said:
To further confuse you (I'm sorry!) my middle finger is around a 5.75-6. My ring finger is a 4 when it's summer or I'm bloated, and a 3.75 in the winter. I have a cocktail ring in a size 5 and it's frustrating because it's big on my ring finger but cannot remotely be jammed in my middle finger. I also have normal sized knuckles...

Even if she wants the proposal and ring to be a complete surprise, couldn't you still subtly, casually ask her her ring size at some point? It's a fair question, especially if she knows you're going to propose SOME day. The other option would be to ask a close friend of hers. Her friends will be able to ask without causing as much suspicion!

Thanks. Yes I think I might have to do some scheming to somehow work out what her size is.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results