shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Spessartite purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, forgot to say... thanks everyone for all the comments and opinions! It really helps to hear all your viewpoints on buying gemstones. Thank you!!
1.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure why people seem to dislike checkerboard cuts. On thought I had is that many many of the gems I see for sale on Ebay sites are a checkerboard cut. Maybe the cut is seen as being associated with potentially lesser, or shadier stones coming from the sites? And maybe seen as being a cut often done by less than masterful cutters? I don''t know... just speculating...

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I am happy to report that I''ve joined the Spess club! I''m the proud owner of my very own Spessartite Garnet! Yay!

I had the two sent to me and I ended up picking the 5.9 ct. checkerboard faceted oval. I was completely open to either style (non-checkerboard vs. checkerboard) and I just went on visual performance. I must say that the one I picked performed a bit better than the other in all lighting conditions. I checked it in direct and indirect sunlight, indoors, in a dark room , in a lighted room... pretty much walked all over our place with both of them and I really liked the 5.9 ct. the best. It just seemed more brilliant, sparkly and had less dark areas (is that called extinction? I''m trying to learn).

Anyway, just wanted to give you all the update and hopefully I''ll be able to post some pictures this weekend.
1.gif

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Those were all beautiful stones, I don''t think it would have been possible to chose wrong. That 5+ carat will be fun to wear! What are you going to put it in??

You know, you COULD take a picture of it on your hand so we can get a good idea of the size and color.
21.gif

besides, I just love pictures!!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, vivian! I wanted to take some better pics this weekend, but didn''t have time today. These were some I took last weekend. Not the greatest, but you''ll get the idea.

spess-11.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
The first one was taken in bathroom lighting. This next one was outside...

spess-12.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a closeup. It''s a bit out of focus...

spesscloseup.jpg

portia

Brilliant_Rock
And here are the two setting ideas I have - both are by LM. I''m thinking about setting it east-west, but not sure how that would look on my hand. I found the top one from Gypsy''s thread... you have incredible taste Gypsy! I hadn''t seen that one. Hope you don''t mind I added it to my inspiration folder.

leonsettings.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Portia, it''s yummy.

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
OMG! That's a beauty alright! Love the color and the checkerboard cuts looks great. It looks really big! East /west would be really pretty. I like the ring style with the big pearl even though I do not at all care for the big pearl.
9.gif

You did very well, its a beaut!
36.gif
18.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another vote for east/west setting.....

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results