shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with some "spare" sapphires!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldfashionedgal

Rough_Rock
I have used this board before but lost my previous login details so hello!

I have a cushion cut engagement ring and plain platinum wedding band and wanted to add something to these. Many years ago when my husband and I were first dating he bought me a channel set sapphire ring (with six small princess cut sapphires) - it was set in gold though I had it rhodium plated. Although the sapphires are very dark in colour so not the best quality I guess, I would like to get them made into a band, like eternity, and would like some ideas for styles please! I very much like the vintage look and could possibly add some teeny weeny diamonds (I have around 5 or could purchase more) - ideas gratefully received!

I like the art deco look with miligrain but am concerned this might wear off in time? I guess it doesn''t really matter. I think the sapphires are around 2-2.5 mm in height (my wedding ring is 2.5mm so I wouldn''t want the ring to be much wider than that, if at all).

Thank you - from London!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll defer the design ideas to others who are more artistic than me but I’ll try to answer your other questions. The milgrain will hold up reasonably well over time in platinum and to a slightly lesser degree, 14kt gold as well. Did you mean that the existing sapphires are about 2x2 mm / 2.5 x 2.5 mm for the length and width rather than in height? Since they are princess cuts, I think your design ideas might be limited to something channel set to protect the corners of the stones.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If your diamonds are close to sapphires in size and shape you can use them, otherwise probably not. Could you be more specific about how your previous sapphire ring looked, cause I got a feeling that it was also a band type ring (semi eternity or something)? I wouldn''t want to suggest something very similar to what you already had. Also tell us how wide you''d like this ring to be (not how high, unless you''re specific about height from the finger too), as that''ll influence styles and designs suggested. Are you usually more drawn to antique or contemporary jewellery?

This should give us something to start with.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Take a look at the front page of Beverly K

There are some alternating stackers there including an emerald princess cut with round brilliant diamonds.

Also check out Bev K collections > Beverly K > thin band and go to the 5th page for eternity bands - you''ll find alternating milgrain bezels for rounds/squares and also diamonds/squares. As well as a channel set that has 4 round diamonds then 4 (looks like french cut, which are a square shape like the princess.)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I really like the Beverly K link you posted. Thanks for being so specific about where the bands are. Do we know what PS vendors sell them? I think maybe Wink Jones, others?

ETA: I do realize that the OP wants to use stones she already has. And Brian Gavin Diamonds has done that for PSers before.

oldfashionedgal

Rough_Rock
Firstly, thanking you all for your extremely helpful responses. I must find the threads for my engagement and wedding ring so that you can get an idea of what I want to "match" the ring up with.

My previous ring was a semi eternity ring I guess, with six very dark sapphires (almost black!) and one teeny weeny diamond in the centre. I suppose my preference is to classic/antique look as I prefer a timeless look and my current rings are pretty classic.

My wedding ring is a heavy weight court - 2.5mm so I wouldn''t want the new ring to be much wider than this, if at all. I haven''t done any proper measuring but from sight the sapphires look to be approximately the same width as my w''ring.

I''ve attached some photos of the Beverley K designs that I like most - obviously I only have 6 sapphires and don''t really want to add (or can afford) any more so am wondering if designs like this can be accomplished in half eternity? I also have three teeny weeny brilliant diamonds which could perhaps be incorporated somehow?

8WR147DS.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Of those pics you posted, I have to say that the first one strikes me as the most classic and timeless (if by that we''ll define things which are neither too antique, nor too contemporary in appearance).

Based on what you''ve told and showed, matching something made out of your stones to look great with your existing rings might be a challenge. The reason why I say so is because you have quite a large round solitaire in your e-ring, with a nicely done curved (domed) shank, and a plain metal band that''s a great match for it in terms of shank profile. And now you have to mix some dark blue stones with straight sides with all those curves, circles and domes in plain white, and make it look like a good match.

Well, there''s an answer for (almost) anything, so what I''d suggest is to think about a band which would have your stones bar set with those diamonds you mention, in something like THIS (imagine those short sections to hold one diamond each and longer ones to hold 2-3 sapphires each). Bars in such a ring should have a slightly rounded top surface (like seen HERE, hope you see how the surface isn''t perfectly straight), to look nicer with the rounded shanks of your other rings, but also to connect the shapes of round diamonds and square sapphires in the band. And to suggest a design, take a look at THIS (imagine the baguettes are sections of sapphires).

Have fun!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first eternity ring you posted the best. The design is delicate and the alternating pattern isn’t too contemporary. I did not realize that your e-ring has a round stone. Usually, an eternity ring will have the same shaped stones as the e-ring if they are to be worn together. I take it you don’t mind mixing shapes?

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I think the first Bev K that you posted would look nice as a half eternity, and I think it would look nice with the e-ring. I am partial to half eternity rings because I am afraid of resizing and also I only ever look at the top of my hands anyway.

You should check and see if the combined diameters of all the stones will be enough to cover a half eternity for your ring size.

Looking forward to seeing more details on your design project!

oldfashionedgal

Rough_Rock
My e ring is actually a cushion, not a round brilliant - obviously it looks that way from the angle....here's a clearer photo

oldfashionedgal

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much for your advice. I think I have a better idea now of what I can and can''t do with the sapphires - I thought perhaps I could just get a channel set half eternity (with miligrain for more detail). The diamonds I have are teeny weeny - not even 0.25 I think! They are from the original ring and some earrings my husband bought me many years ago when we were first dating and I don''t wear gold anymore so wanted to use them.

I am not sure that I like the look of the "bars" in the ring links posted....I am worried this will make it look rather "chunky" - although I know it''s hard to tell until the ring is on your finger. I am thinking channel set for now....I will try and find some photos of the original ring to give you a better idea but they are channel set for sure.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before we get too far with the design, I suggest contacting a custom maker or two with your channel set half eternity ring idea and ask for a rough estimate just to be sure it is within your budget. Even if you are providing the sapphires and diamonds, I expect it to cost several hundred. Sometimes, the labor can be costly due to the design. I am guessing that based on the number and size of sapphires, you may only get a half eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results