shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with setting emerald cut spinel please...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I''m not giving up on my blue spinel search in a round or cushion cut, but I came across this one and loved the color. So, I need some ideas for setting it. I have not been researching any emerald cut settings, so, I really don''t have anything in mind. I tend to like more classic settings and my fingers are kind of short and chubby. Please share any ideas you may have. Thank you!

NewRockBig.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a rough budget in mind?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this setting by Wink

234x375.aspx.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
What are the stone''s dimensions?

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
No real budget. Of course I want to see the stone in person first before committing to anything, but I do like the setting by Sally, but probably in white gold considering the color of the stone. I like the idea of setting it horizontally. The other one isn''t my style at all. The dimensions are 7.11 x 4.67. I am also going to look at some settings with diamonds perhaps like a three stone style of some sort.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you are self conscious about your fingers and feel that they are "short and stubby" then I would definitely suggest setting the stone N-S and not E-W. Setting a long stone set N-S will give an illusion of added length to the finger which it''s on and probably be more comfortable as well. I''d also suggest having the setting "pull in" to a more narrow band as that will also helps with the illusion. I really like the color and cut of that spinel by the way, excellent !

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m with Michael on this one. Though a lot of the E-W settings are beautiful, if you feel as though you have short and stubby fingers then the E-W will only accentuate that. Setting it N-S helps to create the illusion of a longer, slimmer finger. (And how do I know? I''ve got short, stubby fingers.
7.gif
)

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Michael and AustenNut- Thank you for being honest about the setting and my short fingers. :) I appreciate it. I''m really happy with the color of the stone, so, I''m happy to spend more on the setting to find the right one! I wish I could create a much smaller version of this ring, but I think it would be too much for the size of the stone.

Tiffany Spinel

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t want a solitaire, I''d suggest some accent melee set along the longer sides (when set N/S). That also might help the illusion of extra lenght, while giving you some bling. You can also set the center stone in a bar setting to follow it''s parallel pavillion facets and accentuate that mirror effect.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How elongated is the stone? If it is very ‘tall”, I’m another in the camp of having it set North South.

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, I''m not sure what you define very "tall," but it is slightly over 7 mm. It isn''t a very large stone. There just don''t appear to be as many premade settings for emerald cut stones, so, I''m having a hard time envisioning what it could look like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please share the full dimensions of the stone (LxWxD)?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you want something a little different I''d consider embedding some triangles, traps or if you''re really feeling flush, traps with triangles farther down the shanks,extending the look of the traps into even longer triangles. By embedding I mean placing the side stones down into the arms of a split shank design, either bead set as in the example shown or channel set if you prefer a smoother look. The nice thing about this sort of design is that you can move the arms of the split shank out to whatever width you''d like to accommodate the traps or triangles being used and still have a smooth transition into a fairly thin band. This will also have the side stones at a fairly high angle, keeping the top down look of the piece from being too wide. This reduced width is important in helping to make your finger look thinner and longer. There is also one other benefit in that as you move your hand, tipping the center stone, a reflection of the side diamonds would be apparent through the inevitable tilt window in the center stone, keeping it a bit brighter and more sparkly.

The example shown is of a long cushion cut tourmaline which had some small triangular stones set this way in the split upper shank. I had always thought that this would work even better with larger side diamonds, (what doesn''t...bigger diamonds are always better right?). What do you think of that background ? It''s a group of fossil leaves that I thought looked kind of cool.

Split Shank stone.jpg

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Chrono- It is 7.11 x 4.67. I do not know the depth as it wasn''t listed and I don''t have the stone as of yet. It was sent yesterday.
Michael- I like that setting, but I''m not sure I like the split shank... perhaps if it were a little more delicate looking. I do like the idea of the trapezoid diamonds on the side though. I keep looking for some examples, but haven''t had much luck. There is one setting I found on bluenile that is close to what I would like. However, I still would like to find the perfect stone to recreate the Tiffany ring on a smaller scale.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/11/2009 2:53:17 PM
Author: joy2theworld
Chrono- It is 7.11 x 4.67. I do not know the depth as it wasn''t listed and I don''t have the stone as of yet. It was sent yesterday.

Michael- I like that setting, but I''m not sure I like the split shank... perhaps if it were a little more delicate looking. I do like the idea of the trapezoid diamonds on the side though. I keep looking for some examples, but haven''t had much luck. There is one setting I found on bluenile that is close to what I would like. However, I still would like to find the perfect stone to recreate the Tiffany ring on a smaller scale.

Something like that could be made to look quite delicate by putting most of the width of the split shank arms under the side stones. Other styles using traps are pretty easy to find especially if you use premade parts to put the setting together. Recreating that Tiffany setting with a smaller stone such as the one you''ve shown would be a bit tough, since the Tiffany setting uses oval melee in the corners and they are very hard to find in small sizes. If you used round corner melee it would be much easier and at this size probably not too noticeably different than using ovals.

empress

Shiny_Rock
How about some colored accent stones? Green - tsavorites or chrome tourmalines - or in keeping with the delicate color - mint?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I always love a good emerald-cut stone set north/south with tapered baguette diamonds. This stone would look fab that way!

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
The stone came today. It is gorgeous! I love, love, love the color. I just wish it were a little bigger, but I will find some way to set it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results