shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with selecting stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

First of all, very nice site this. Glad I found it!!

I'm going to ask the big question soon and have been researching many websites to find a good around-1ct-stone with a nice ring (Yellow Gold + Platium head). I do not really care about the grading, as I went to see various local jewellers and really do not see why I should go above a SI2 as long as it's confirmed as "clean to the naked eye". I do not mind knowing there are 'particles' (feathers/clouds/etc) to be found under a magnifying glass; I think this makes the diamond more special in fact!! One of a kind.

I am more interested in colourless (D-F) with excellent properties e.g. light/brilliance/reflection, etc.

This is the stone I have in mind:

Shape: Round
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Cut: Ideal Cut Read About Cut
Weight: 1.34 ct
Measurements: 7.03-7.07*4.38
Depth: 62.1%
Table Diameter: 57%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Issuer: EGL

It is confirmed as "clean to the naked eye".

It costs US$ 5,494 (ex VAT which I'm sure I'll have to pay the customs people in the UK...!)

Is this a good find? I used the PS Cutadvisor and it says:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good
(score=1.3)

Which looks good to me!?

My ring budget is around US$ 5,500-6,000, so I'm already pushing it (total cost incl. TAX paid is ca. US$ 6,500)

Also, does anybody have ANY IDEA how high this stone would be sitting in a 6-prong Tiffany-style setting? I have absolutely no idea how it'll look - and how comfortable it'll be on my to-be-fiancee's finger. I guess it 'sticks up' around 5-6mm (at least 4.38mm according to the specs)?

Anyway, thanks for your views/input!

9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing I would do is line up an independent appraiser (or purchase from a very honest and reputable vendor like GOG, WF, JA, ERD, Wink) who can verify a few things about your stone because an EGL cert grading can be rather inaccurate. EGL USA is usually accurate but other EGL Israel and the like can be 2 grades off, so in effect, your E SI2 could end up being a G I2!

1. The first step is to verify if it is EGL USA
2. Then verify that the E is a true E
3. And verify that the SI2 is a true SI2 (and indeed eye clean). Make sure your definition of eye clean is the same as the vendors'. Some consumer's eye clean means nothing at 6 inches away.
4. Ask for magnified pictures (so you can see the inclusion or lack of for yourself)
5. Ask for an Idealscope picture

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Chrono, thanks for this.

I will contact them immediately with those questions!

Might get back to confirm whether what they say is true/makes sense!

Thanks again.

RD

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 10:57:34 PM
Author:researchdude
Hi all,

First of all, very nice site this. Glad I found it!!
hey there reseachdude, welcome!
35.gif
we're glad you found it too!
36.gif

I'm going to ask the big question soon and have been researching many websites to find a good around-1ct-stone with a nice ring (Yellow Gold + Platium head). I do not really care about the grading, as I went to see various local jewellers and really do not see why I should go above a SI2 as long as it's confirmed as 'clean to the naked eye'. I do not mind knowing there are 'particles' (feathers/clouds/etc) to be found under a magnifying glass; I think this makes the diamond more special in fact!! One of a kind.
congrats on your upcoming engagement!
i like a good si stone as well. you're right, a couple of little birthmarks don't effect the performance and it can really just make the stone one of a kind. hehe...those d flawless people only think they're getting one of a kind!
11.gif
10.gif

I am more interested in colourless (D-F) with excellent properties e.g. light/brilliance/reflection, etc.
if this is the case, you might want to look at a more strict grading lab such as ags or gia. egl is known to be off in the color grading and they don't give the most accurate measurements to determine diamond performance (crown/pavilion percentages are not accurate)

Is this a good find? I used the PS Cutadvisor and it says:

Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good
(score=1.3)
the score is good but deceiving because percentages were used instead of the angles.

My ring budget is around US$ 5,500-6,000, so I'm already pushing it (total cost incl. TAX paid is ca. US$ 6,500)
i would suggest you look at well cut and properly graded stones in the g-h range. you will be suprised how awesome a well cut diamond will look, even in a lower color.

Also, does anybody have ANY IDEA how high this stone would be sitting in a 6-prong Tiffany-style setting? I have absolutely no idea how it'll look - and how comfortable it'll be on my to-be-fiancee's finger. I guess it 'sticks up' around 5-6mm (at least 4.38mm according to the specs)?
it really depends on the setting. if you want a lower setting, definitely stay away from 'cathedral' settings and be sure to confirm the height before you purchase.
2.gif

good luck in your search! feel free to keep asking questions!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it really depends on the setting. if you want a lower setting, definitely stay away from ''cathedral'' settings and be sure to confirm the height before you purchase.

Yes and to add to this, I was having a discussion with a jeweller who has worked on both sides of the pond a while back. He says that it seems to him that diamonds are often set higher routinely in the US than is usual for British tastes, so do check as Miss B says.

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Hi Belle,

Thanks for the information!

I found JamesAllen.com, after I located the search engine of PriceScope.

I found several "Hearts and Arrows" (H&A) diamonds.

Most notably the following, keeping your comment regarding colour in mind:

Carat weight: 1.14
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 61.5%
Table: 56.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.71*6.73*4.13
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown %: 15.00
pavilion Angle: 40.8°
pavilion %: 43.00
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent
Price: US$ 5,510

Having seen the pictures on JamesAllen's site (which are great), I am a bit weary of some of the SI-stones, but I guess I'll have to give them a call to get some expert advice.

What are the areas where you should be extra careful with? For instance, the middle (of the table), or the sides? And is there anything I should know about feathers vs clouds?

FYI, related to another retailer, I spoke with someone from USACertifiedDiamonds but he told me that the SI would be "clean to the eye" at approx. 10 inches distance. Well, might as well say that it's also clean to the eye when closing your eyes!!
28.gif

James Allen also has the MOST AMAZING 3D finger views
10.gif
, so you can really see what the engagement ring would look like. That said, many of you ladies posted many beautiful pictures here on the site and this gave me much to think about as well.

I'm still a month away from proposing, so I have a little bit of time left. All other matters have been arranged; it's simply to find the right ring now!
31.gif

RD

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 9:02:58 AM
Author: Lorelei
it really depends on the setting. if you want a lower setting, definitely stay away from 'cathedral' settings and be sure to confirm the height before you purchase.

Yes and to add to this, I was having a discussion with a jeweller who has worked on both sides of the pond a while back. He says that it seems to him that diamonds are often set higher routinely in the US than is usual for British tastes, so do check as Miss B says.

Thanks Lorelei. I'll definitely keep this in mind because I don't want the stone to be too high; I think it'll compromise my fiancee-to-be's comfort level...!

Is there anything to say about 6-prong vs 4-prong?

For instance, http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-1958.asp vs
http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_57-1970.asp

Thanks,
RD

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Or how about this one?

Carat weight: 1.00
Cut: Hearts & Arrows Ideal
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 62.0%
Table: 57.0%
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Measurements: 6.38*6.43*3.97
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown %: 15.50
pavilion Angle: 40.8°
pavilion %: 43.00
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.7 - Excellent

It''s AGS0 as well.

Price: US$ 5,640

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Of the two you listed, I definitely prefer #1. I am not sure where you got the AGS0 on the second stone b/c it appears to have a GIA report. I only saw one AGS 0 when looking from 1 - 1.2 carats and f-g color and SI1 clarity - that was this 1.01 F SI1
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-937915.asp

# of prongs is dependent on the person. I like 6 prongs b/c I feel like I have 5 left to hold the diamond if something happens to one of them. My mom had a 4 prong, and lost her diamond when one of the prongs broke. She now has 6 prongs too! People with smaller stones will mention that they feel 6 prongs overwhelms a small stone (stones smaller than the size you are looking at). Some feel the 6 prongs gives a visual appearance of a larger stone (the outline of the prongs around the diamond gives the illusion of a larger diameter by drawing the eyes to see a diameter of the metal, kind of similar to what a bezel does but not exactly). Some feel 6 prongs gives more of a rounded appearance, and 4 prongs sometimes can give the stone a squarish appearance.

ETA: the price on the G SI1 is actually $5130 with PS discount\
Additionally edited to add, the 1.01 F SI1 AGS0 I linked above is $5050 with PS discount.

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 10:31:24 PM
Author: :)
Of the two you listed, I definitely prefer #1. I am not sure where you got the AGS0 on the second stone b/c it appears to have a GIA report. I only saw one AGS 0 when looking from 1 - 1.2 carats and f-g color and SI1 clarity - that was this 1.01 F SI1

# of prongs is dependent on the person. I like 6 prongs b/c I feel like I have 5 left to hold the diamond if something happens to one of them. My mom had a 4 prong, and lost her diamond when one of the prongs broke. She now has 6 prongs too! People with smaller stones will mention that they feel 6 prongs overwhelms a small stone (stones smaller than the size you are looking at). Some feel the 6 prongs gives a visual appearance of a larger stone (the outline of the prongs around the diamond gives the illusion of a larger diameter by drawing the eyes to see a diameter of the metal, kind of similar to what a bezel does but not exactly). Some feel 6 prongs gives more of a rounded appearance, and 4 prongs sometimes can give the stone a squarish appearance.

ETA: the price on the G SI1 is actually $5130 with PS discount\n
Additionally edited to add, the 1.01 F SI1 AGS0 I linked above is $5050 with PS discount.

Hi there!

Thanks - I didn't know the discount was so big. That's excellent.

The other stone with AGS0 from GIA (which I didn't quite understand either but I didn't want to overcomplicate matters by starting a whole story about this!) was located using the PS search engine; I selected all AGS0 AND H&A diamonds ONLY and somehow that's what it came up with.

I have another question though, regarding an AGS0 SI1 - does that "guarantee" that you cannot see blemishes with the naked eye? How can I find out? Call JamesAllen?

I had that same feeling about 6-prong: better security & optical illusion regarding size :)

Thanks for your help!!

RD

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2007 6:22:19 AM
Author: researchdude

Date: 11/14/2007 10:31:24 PM
Author: :)

ETA: the price on the G SI1 is actually $5130 with PS discount

Hi there!

Thanks - I didn't know the discount was so big. That's excellent.

The other stone with AGS0 from GIA (which I didn't quite understand either but I didn't want to overcomplicate matters by starting a whole story about this!) was located using the PS search engine; I selected all AGS0 AND H&A diamonds ONLY and somehow that's what it came up with.

I have another question though, regarding an AGS0 SI1 - does that 'guarantee' that you cannot see blemishes with the naked eye? How can I find out? Call JamesAllen?

I had that same feeling about 6-prong: better security & optical illusion regarding size :)

Thanks for your help!!

RD
No absolutely not - you need to check with James Allen that this diamond is eyeclean and matches your expectations of ' eyecleanliness.' In the trade, some have the definition of eyeclean as being - no inclusions visible with normal vision in normal light at a distance of 10 - 12 inches - as a rough guide. Some SI1 diamonds may pass a close up squinting test that some can't see anything and some won't, each needs evaluating on its own merits for this.

Also see this thread for further help. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

Bottom line - SI clarities are not created equal!
35.gif

researchdude

Rough_Rock
No absolutely not - you need to check with James Allen that this diamond is eyeclean and matches your expectations of '' eyecleanliness.'' In the trade, some have the definition of eyeclean as being - no inclusions visible with normal vision in normal light at a distance of 10 - 12 inches - as a rough guide. Some SI1 diamonds may pass a close up squinting test that some can''t see anything and some won''t, each needs evaluating on its own merits for this.

Also see this thread for further help. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-eye-clean-definition-interpretation-and-taste.30483/

35.gif

Lorelei, that''s so strange...

Any idea about the chance I have to receive a confirmation in writing regarding the "squinting test"? According to the grading labs, SI1 should only be visible to the naked eye (and that should mean me being 1mm close to it!), and easily viewable with 10x.

RD

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2007 7:45:42 AM
Author: researchdude

No absolutely not - you need to check with James Allen that this diamond is eyeclean and matches your expectations of ' eyecleanliness.' In the trade, some have the definition of eyeclean as being - no inclusions visible with normal vision in normal light at a distance of 10 - 12 inches - as a rough guide. Some SI1 diamonds may pass a close up squinting test that some can't see anything and some won't, each needs evaluating on its own merits for this.

35.gif

Lorelei, that's so strange...

Any idea about the chance I have to receive a confirmation in writing regarding the 'squinting test'? According to the grading labs, SI1 should only be visible to the naked eye (and that should mean me being 1mm close to it!), and easily viewable with 10x.

RD
If you read the link I posted, this should give you some good info. Many factors can affect the clarity grade and ' eyecleanliness' of a particular diamond. Things such as the shape of the diamond and cut, size and carat weight, lab which is used and colour and location of the inclusion/s, size of the inclusions and type etc can all affect the grade. Also clarity grading is done face up, so even if the top of a diamond is eyeclean, you may see something from the side, particularly in the SI grade - which means slightly included as you know.

Individual eyesight can also play a part in whether a diamond is perceived to be eyeclean or not. Some can spot an inclusion easily that others can't see. So your vendor is really the best person to advise you whether a particular diamond is eyeclean or not and expect that some SI diamonds may or may not be. Also make your expectations clear - as to what your comfort level is regarding this issue. If you are determined to not see anything in your diamond, then a VS and above might be better if your comfort level leans this way.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the first post from our own John Q and Pyramid which explains eyecleanliness and what it means to the consumer beautifully. Hope this helps!

Clarity: Eye-Clean definition, interpretation and taste
P: 6/28/2005 1:58:28 PM

JohnQuixote
Ideal Rock
Total Posts: 4,963
Last Post: 11/14/2007
Find all posts | Pictures

Subscribe to this author Clarity is a person-sensitive issue, much like color. Interpretation and taste come into play for each person. Individuals differ in their level of clarity comfort and needs.

Definitions of Eye-Clean

With internet purchases, the most common clarity question: 'Is it eye clean?' A PS search turns up many discussions. There are no industry definitions, so each person or institution must set his/her own and communicate the definition accordingly.

We believe lighting, vision and distance are critical elements when arriving at a working definition. AGS chose their close observation point or "distance of most distinct vision" at 25cm (9.8 inches). It is the near point of accomodation - the distance at which focus is attained without strain - for a majority of humans. In very young people and in those with nearsightedness this distance is less. This near point recedes with age, possibly causing farsighted condition.

Our own working definition of eye-clean is 'No inclusions visible face-up at a distance of 8-10 inches in natural lighting to a person with 20/20 vision.'

This is a logical and reasonable judgment for our purposes. We respect the right for others to arrive at their own definitions. However you define it though, a working understanding and communication between buyers, sellers and appraisers is critical.

Interpretations Vary by Distance, Study & Eyesight

Date: 6/28/2005 6:02:57 AM
Author: Pyramid
Thread: Diamond Color Chart

Everyones eye sight is really different. A lot of times people say they can see an inclusion but this is after they have looked at the diamond with a loupe so their eyes are automatically zooming into that part of the stone whereas they wouldn't see it if they looked first without the loupe which is what consumers are supposed to do. I have also read that eye clean is meant to be at a 12 inch distance from you eyes not looking close up. Eye clean it has also been said is not a word which GIA and other labs use.

As I said above if you look at a diamond and see a white inclusion near the centre to the bottom left of the diamond with a louipe and then look at the diamond again without the loupe you will look in this area instead of at the whole round diamond.
These are good examples of dissembling interpretations. Scrutiny after studying an inclusions plot, or prolonged close study can be revealing (even with VS), but these are not normal viewing conditions. Someone who is nearsighted or has 'radar vision' may see more than others. That's okay. Give them a few years to age

unless you carry a grading report with you or stand posturing your diamond a few inches from peoples' eyes the normal viewing distance is a few feet - closer when you show it on request. Diamonds other than earrings are rarely closer than 25cm from viewers' eyes.

When searching for the 'eye-clean SI deal,' know that every SI diamond varies, as do 'eye-clean' definitions. Ultimately the shopper's interpretation is the one that matters. When purchasing without having seen the diamond, know both your interp and the seller's interp. It also helps to keep the grade in perspective. Bargains may be found, but remember that ultimately there's a reason it was graded SI and not VS. Someone who wants the diamond to pass every distance, eyesight and study test offered should probably focus on VS goods or better to be certain it meets his own 'eye-clean' interpretation.

Taste

Just as taste runs differently with peoples' color perceptions (some like the crisp, cold look of a D, while others prefer more warmth) there is clarity perception defined by individual taste. While many people seek eye-clean, others will shoot above and below that line of judgment, and should not be criticized for having a different flavour in mind:

Some individuals place high personal value on a flawless diamond and will not consider anything else due to religious or personal beliefs. Others find that the security and pedigree of VVS/VS suits them, and are not comfortable considering SI goods. One of our Pricescopers, Dancing Fire, alludes to finding a 'mind-clean' diamond. What a great term. Of course no one except the purchaser can determine what that means. The clean SI 'deal' is attractive, price-wise, but if you find yourself obsessing on clarity pureness (or just nervous about SI in general) consider that VS could be a better fit for you, personally.

Along those lines there is another inclusion point I rarely voice here (by and large Pricescopers don't embrace this notion). For some people an inclusion makes a diamond more distinctive. It can serve to identify or even 'romance the stone.' Just as taste runs differently with color, we field requests for diamonds with distinctive inclusions sometimes.

Internet Shopping and Clarity

When Internet shopping, you will likely be looking at high quality magnified photos. Remember that no one ever sees a diamond at 40x mag when they walk into a jewelry store, unless they are permitted to see it under a microscope. A large computer monitor makes that 40x photo even more revealing.

If you’re going photo-happy (have viewed so many you may be losing perspective) try this: Take a mm ruler and place it on your screen. Measure the picture on the monitor and then consider the actual size of your diamond, from the documentation. This will give an idea of the virtual compared to the reality.

John

researchdude

Rough_Rock

Lorelei,

Wow, that''s really a lot of information! Thanks. I''ve read it all, and I think I''m finalising my decision-process... well that is if I absorbed the information correctly!

I conclude I''ll be happy with:
- an "Ideal cut" (H&A cut, from what I read, is not visible to the naked eye)
- a colour up to I as saw many diamonds posted on this site and this appears to be a popular colour (and they looked wonderful)
- a VS2 just to be certain because I want eye clean but the measure eye clean at 9.8 inch is something I''m not impressed with, so moving up one notch

So, what do you think of this one!?
31.gif

Carat weight: 1.18
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 56.0%
Girdle: Thin
Measurements: 6.80*6.75*4.18

Price: US$ 5,760 excl. PriceScope discount (is therefore, US$ 5,360 - correct?)

Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread or diameter for weight: Very Good

Total Visual Performance 0.8 - Excellent

Now, I''m not an expert but I believe anything below 1 is pretty impressive, no?

Do the rest of the details match this?

If so, then with a nice 18k yellow gold Tiffany-style 6-prong setting (with platinum top) this could well be the one!!
30.gif

Thoughts???
35.gif

Thanks all so much. I feel I''m close to buying. How exciting (even more so because it''s not for myself!!)!!
36.gif

RD

researchdude

Rough_Rock
The stone is also GIA engraved I noticed on the GIA report.

I quite like that idea, knowing the stone matches the report - and that later on people cannot (accidentally or purposefully) change it without you knowing, e.g. when you take it to a jeweller for repair/cleaning, etc.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa after 5 months of browsing, looking, thinking, could this be it
32.gif

I've requested a photo and the idealscope pictures. Should receive these tomorrow.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The diamond looks very promising, if you could add the crown and pavillion angles that would be good. That is great you are getting the Idealscope image and pics too! With the HCA score, basically it works as anything under 2 being a ' pass' as it is a rejection tool and once you get under 2, this basically means the diamond is worth further consideration and then you use your Idealscope images and other methods to decide from there. Varing scores below 2 don't mean that one diamond is better than another necessarily. Also make sure this vendor has a good return policy in case the I grade isn't for you. The reason I mention it is because you said in the beginning you wanted a colourless diamond. An I is plenty white enough for many many people, but it won't look like a D or E, so I just wanted to make sure you are ok with it as best we can at this stage. This may well be a good way for you to go, increasing the clarity as you know what your comfort level is and still having a lovely white diamond with the I colour.

With a score under one, there is a slight possibility that the diamond may have a potential lack of contrast, but the IS images will help there and from what I understand, it is something to be aware of but not to be overly concerned with, and in all likelihood, this diamond is fine!

One thing in case you aren't aware, with the PS discount, it is my understanding that you need to pay by bank wire transfer to get it, check with the vendor would be best.

Lastly, although a VS2 GIA grade in that size should be eyeclean and probably is, still check with the vendor. We had a chap a little while back who bought a smaller VS diamond and he saw a tiny inclusion in it, so he returned it. In all likelihood most VS diamonds will be eyeclean, but just check to make sure and to cover all the wagons so to speak!

researchdude

Rough_Rock
I''m attaching the pictures!!

What do you think? Looks good to me, but then again I''m also looking at a value-for-money stone and any stone will look good but for this money is this a good deal or not
9.gif

1121163.JPG

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Price: $5,360

- excl. $50 for shipping internationally
- excl. $107 for shipping with FEDEX
- excl. ring $300
- excl. tax man (grrr) $990

-----------

Total cost: US$ 6,807 (GBP 3,310)

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Noticed the other picture was a bit stretched after a resize. Here''s another resize.

1121163-2.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it looks great dude, you''re gonna love it.
3.gif

well done.
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2007 9:42:59 AM
Author: belle
it looks great dude, you''re gonna love it.
3.gif

well done.
36.gif
Ditto ditto ditto, smashing diamond!!!!
3.gif

researchdude

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for helping (Lorelei, Belle, :) and Chrono) !!!!! It's extremely comforting knowing that I've found a stone that fits within my budget, has a fantastic cut and offers excellent performance.

FYI, I visited a Tiffany's today and I noticed there was a tiiiiiiiiiiiny difference between one stone that was F with another one that was an I. In fact, I noticed the difference more INSIDE than when the lady showed the stone to me in daylight; in daylight I simply could not distinguish them.

Really glad I learned about how to balance the typical 'C's!!!

35.gif

OK, now that I've reserved the stone, now I'm off pondering about the setting aaaarrrghhhh more decisions
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results