shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP with Selecting between Two Diamonds

maddenhova

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Been a chronic lurker and really do appreciate the service all of you guys provide.

Anyways, down the grit. My Budget is <30K for a ROUND diamond. After reading countless threads, it appears CUT is the most paramount and I am definitely willing to sacrifice clarity (as long it is eye clean) and color. Also, ct. size is very important and I want to get the best bang for the buck without sacrificing the eye test. I have narrowed it down to these two and wanted expert input on if any of these diamonds look acceptable and which one would you choose?

Diamond 1: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045742.htm

Diamond 2: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137122.htm?source=pricescope

Shall I go with the bigger diamond but sacrifice the cut (ACA vs. Expert)? Also, both pass the "eye test" by whiteflash. Will the "I" color be that noticeable or shall I get a higher color and sacrifice on the size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maddenhova|1400878643|3679000 said:
Hello all,

Been a chronic lurker and really do appreciate the service all of you guys provide.

Anyways, down the grit. My Budget is <30K for a ROUND diamond. After reading countless threads, it appears CUT is the most paramount and I am definitely willing to sacrifice clarity (as long it is eye clean) and color. Also, ct. size is very important and I want to get the best bang for the buck without sacrificing the eye test. I have narrowed it down to these two and wanted expert input on if any of these diamonds look acceptable and which one would you choose?

Diamond 1: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3045742.htm

Diamond 2: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137122.htm?source=pricescope

Shall I go with the bigger diamond but sacrifice the cut (ACA vs. Expert)? Also, both pass the "eye test" by whiteflash. Will the "I" color be that noticeable or shall I get a higher color and sacrifice on the size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Maddenhova and welcome!

You have two absolutely beautiful diamonds there, I think you could pick either - providing they were deemed to be eye clean to your standards- and be extremely happy. As for visual sacrifice, I don't think personally it would be an issue. Both will have an excellent visual balance and performance, the ACA's optical symmetry is more precise than that of the ES stone but you really won't notice much if any difference between them. I would ask someone at WF to inspect each stone and discuss them with you, that way you will be able to make a decision based on an expert opinion right from the horse's mouth so to speak. The WF rep will be able to advise you as to which stone might suit you best. Also, make sure you are specific with WF concerning your expectations of ' eye cleanliness,' I take it you have checked with them already but these are big diamonds, so if your personal comfort level is ' no visible inclusions from any angle or distance in any lighting, make sure WF know that so you are both on the same page. I colour in this calibre of cut quality and size diamond should face up very white, although you might notice a tiny hint of ''softer white'' from the sides, again WF can advise which perhaps looks crisper for the colour grade, if that is indeed the case.

I hope this helps and let us know which diamond you decide on!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Maddenhova,

Lorelei gave you some great advice. I just recently purchased an ACA from WF and I trusted my WF consultant to be my eyes and they picked a beautiful diamond for me. If you tell them what you want and expect they will try to accommodate your wishes. The last thing they want is to have an unhappy customer.

IMO the first diamond looks pretty clean for a Si diamond. I would personally not go for the second one because of the inclusions directly under the table. On a large diamond inclusions may be easier to see and I know myself well enough to know if I caught a glimpse of something in sunlight my eyes would always go directly to that spot and I would be obsessed with knowing I can see those inclusions.

I can't wait to see what you get. Happy shopping!

maddenhova

Rough_Rock
Lorelei and Marcy,

Thank you for your quick and informative reply! WF has great customer service and I'm having an active conversation about the issues you guys brought up!

diamond6

Rough_Rock
Wow those two are dazzling diamonds. I have nothing to help you but have a question for Marcy. You said one diamond has inclusions under the table, where is it written like so. I am brand new to diamonds and trying to figure out what you said and where it is. Ty

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond6, sorry if you already know this; I don't mean to tell you something you already know - but to answer your question - the table is the large flat surface on the top of the diamond. If you can see quite a few inclusions in the middle of the clarity diagram those inclusions are under the table and that is where they are more likely to be visible to the naked eye. Between the 2 diamonds Maddenhova posted the second diamond has some inclusions that are in the middle of the clarity diagram. Twinning wisps are usually not visible to the naked eye but as Lorelei suggested it is probably best to clearly lay out expectations for the perfect diamond so the jewelry consultant can assess which diamond meets those expectations.

I found a quick example below.

screen_shot_2014-05-23_at_10.png

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great work Marcy, nice to see you over this side! :wavey:

Maddenhova, please report back when you have some news on the stones you are considering, let us know what happens!

maddenhova

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to follow up. Still debating between both diamonds. The WF assistant related to me that both diamonds are eye clean even up close. The only hold back now is with the color of the diamond (I). I was told color isn't that much of a big deal with round diamond as it is with the other shapes. However, since these are large diamonds, will I notice a slight yellowish tent?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maddenhova|1401106472|3680248 said:
Just wanted to follow up. Still debating between both diamonds. The WF assistant related to me that both diamonds are eye clean even up close. The only hold back now is with the color of the diamond (I). I was told color isn't that much of a big deal with round diamond as it is with the other shapes. However, since these are large diamonds, will I notice a slight yellowish tent?

Hi Madden,

It definitely sounds as if you are making good progress! In I colour of this cut calibre, these stones are going to face up extremely white, you might notice the barest hint of softer white from the side, but to me a well cut, reliably graded I colour is not going to show any hint of 'yellow.' Having said that, colour sensitivity varies, some prefer the really icy looking D-F grades, others are just fine with G - J colour. What I would do is ask WF which faces up the whitest, one might be a ' high' I and close to H colour, that could tip the scales towards the best one to pick.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you are closing in on the perfect diamond. I will be anxious to see which one you get.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results