shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with purchased diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone-
I''m new to this site and boy do I wish we had found it prior to buying my stone. We recently purchased the stone (a month ago) and now I''m concerned that it is not "sparkly" as it could be (ie. could have gotten a "better" stone for the price). The cut adviser shows that its fire is merely "fair" while all the other things are very good with a rating of 3.9. I have seen the stone in person and it is quite pretty but I''m a perfectionist, and with all this new knowledge I''m afraid I''ll be disappointed when it is set.

Is there any way to "trade in" a stone? Or in the alternative, can you all please convince me that I''ll be ok and the stone is beautiful regardless?

These are the stats...I will post photos if I can get them.
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Round Brilliant
Carat: .82
Table depth: 61.6%
Table size: 58%
Crown angle/height: 30.6/12.5%
Pavilion Angle/depth: 42.4/45.5%
Polish: very good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: none
Girdle: Thin to medium

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well, you obviously thought it sparkled a lot and looked beautiful when you purchased it, right? So as long as it looks beautiful to the eye, who cares what the numbers say. You won''t be walking around with the grading report tied to the ring for all to see, right?
2.gif

However, if you are still unhappy, talk to the jeweler that sold you the stone and see if he or she will allow you to trade in the stone for some else. It''s at least worth a shot if you are still unhappy.

Good luck regardless of what you decide!!
1.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Rascal! I REALLY wish I had found this site earlier!!! So informative! I''ve read quite a few of your posts and I''d love to have your honest opinion of the stone based on these stats. Also, was $4200 a reasonably price for it?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you actually received the diamond yet or are you still waiting for it? Welcome by the way! I just did a quick search and comparable GIA certed diamonds seem to be in the ballpark $4k or so if this helps. Ask yourself this - would you have been happy with the diamond if you didn't have this new knowledge and loved it? Yes you could get a better cut diamond probably but numbers don't tell the whole story as Rascal rightly says and second guessing is quite normal. There is always a better deal after the event and things we wish we could have done differently, you just have to decide if this is the right diamond for you, if you can change it. If not, it has a heck of a lot going for it, being a D and a VS and I am sure it is a nice cut and far prettier than most you see! The HCA is a very useful tool, but can't analyse the beauty and magic of a diamond, it can help weed out lesser performers but some diamonds that have a medium score are insanely gorgeous in person!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei-
We have not "received" the stone but we purchased it in store from our local jeweler (the store that''s custom designing our ring), so we have seen it before. They have a gemologist on site so we gave her what we "thought" we wanted in a stone and she brought down some options for us. However, I now realize that some other major factors play in its fire and brilliance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scarlet, take another look at it if you can, you must be within the return period as you haven't finalised the deal so to speak, but talk to them asap and ask to see some others to compare. Also an Idealscope would be very useful for you to check out other diamonds, they are not too expensive and well worth having for the diamond hunter. Also see if the jewellers have any cut quality reports on the diamonds such as a Sarin or Brilliancesope report, this will help too.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp Idealscope info.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you are unsure about the diamond, perhaps the jeweler could bring in more stones for you to look at. if you get another diamond with the same dimensions, it will not impact the custom setting. a good purchase is an informed one. even if you decide to keep the original stone, at least you would have had a chance to compare it to others.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results