shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with proposal/Ring please

Scud

Rough_Rock
Hello, I will in the US on holiday with my gf soon and want to ask her to marry me during the trip.

I have been in contact with Tiffany's in the city I will be going and am going to have them order me in ~5 rings to choose from for me to buy that fit in my desired specs.

They are all similiar diamonds (going with a soliatre Tiffany classic setting) and I know she will like this ring.

Now my question is: would it be advised to pick out the best daimond on my own and give her the ring or ask her to marry me without the ring and have her pick the best diamond with me?

I see both options have their advantages and disadvantages.

If I give her the ring: Very romantic, I picked it out, etc

If I let her choose the diamond: Also romantic, get the whole Tiffany experience and she gets say in the diamond she likes best.

So both are good options but what would you prefer as a girl?

I won't be asking her to marry me in front of the Tiffany store so I can't combine the events, it will be somewhere more private.

And the next question: if you say you like her being involved in the diamond selection, then how do I propse to her if I won't have the ring picked out yet?

I don't want to do a dummy ring but I can either do the ring without the diamond in it or some kind of Tiffany piece that has the date on it and give her that when I ask her to marry me and then take her to pick out the ring?

Ideas/thoughts please...I am sure either of my ideas would be great for different reasons but I want to try to determine the best.

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
Obviously you know her best, but perhaps if I can make a general statement...

I think proposing without a ring is sort of...lame. Proposing without a ring is rather anti-climactic; I think most women would be eager to show off their ring. Having a ring that you picked out just for her will make her love it. If not, check Tiffany's return policy and see if it works for you before you buy. I would try and pick the ring you think is best but if you are worried about what she will think, or know she will want to pick her own, be open to the possibility of returning it for a different one. Good luck! :)

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
a while back, before my ring was done, I thought it would be OK with me if my BF proposed without the ring... Now I'm glad that he insisted on waiting - I think it will be WAY better with the ring! But, if you were able to go to Tiffany right after, that would be different than having to wait weeks. So I guess it's up to you. I wouldn't mind a proposal without a ring if we were going to go get the ring asap.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results