shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with price!! Round Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

imteejay

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am looking to buy a sapphire to put in a setting for an engagement ring. I have read a lot and visited some stores looking at natural sapphires. I guess the biggest differences seem to be color and treatments. Please, for those of you more fimiliar with sapphires and pricing, let me know an approximate value of the following stone:

Is an intense round blue sapphire with excellent clarity grading. The clarity grade is internally flawless and it is 1.20 cts. This stone has a very good color saturation, meaning it has an intense color that is equally distributed. This sapphire has excellent symmetry and cut. As per your request the sapphire has been further photographed under various light sources.

Ideal round brilliant cut
1.20 cts
CUT: Brilliant
COLOR INTENSITY: Intense
COLOR: Blue
ORIGIN: Ceylon
DIMENSIONS (MM): 6.54 x 6.44 x 4.23
TREATMENTS: No Enhancement, no heat
CLARITY: Perfection (IF, VVS1)

Thanks for your help!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert on pricing but I can tell you that the experts here are going to want to see a picture. Can you post one (or several)?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Who is the vendor?

"CLARITY: Perfection (IF, VVS1)" This concerns me a little, because this is how I see many mass gem distributers phrase the clarity of their gems. Also, in a sapphire, the most important quality is color. Will it come with certification?

imteejay

Rough_Rock
It is documented by the jeweler and also GIA. Here are some pictures. I can put higher quality ones, bu i was not sure of the site''s max upload sizes...

Attachments

• sapphires.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 33

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal color sapphires will always cost a lot more money. Stones from different locations can also cost more.

Some stones will cost more from one vendor than from another, so you''re going to run into all kinds of numbers when it comes to the price of a sapphire.

Papered stones generally cost more than non papered.

As to HOW much more is something I don''t know because it depends on a lot of factors.

I''m sure you''re probably all read out by now, but this is a good thing to read and to keep in mind as you purchase your gemstones

http://www.palagems.com/quality_4cs.htm#pricing_factors

Its a bit harder to know without additional information like vendor, round about amount of the stone, and a picture. There''s some from the trade who do drop in, but just depends if they see your message or not.

The picture size you can attach is 100K or less.

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 11:54:41 PM
Author: imteejay
It is documented by the jeweler and also GIA. Here are some pictures. I can put higher quality ones, bu i was not sure of the site''s max upload sizes...

100kb, must be jpeg and must have unique name (not used before on PS).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A picture is a must. What is considered intense blue by one vendor may not be intense blue by another vendor. Is that what has been described in the GIA cert? Have you seen the cert? There is a premium on the stone being from Ceylon and untreated, but IF/VVS is totally unnecessary. Eye clean is all that is required in coloured gemstones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 7:07:05 AM
Author: Edward Bristol
Round brilliant is always going to be more expesnive in sapphire (say +50%) than other shapes and cuts.

Hi Ed,
I find this info interesting - can you pls elaborate?
This is just a wild guess, likely wrong - but it is due to crystal formation shapes?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the markup for rounds is only about 30% per the Guide book?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 8:36:55 AM
Author: Chrono

C, can you explain in Ed''s absence pls?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJ,
Remember when Mark (Haagen Daaz) asked about the Rappaport of coloured gemstones? Well, I thought he was the one who asked. I am referring to this same Guide, which states a 30% markup IIRC since I don’t have the book in front of me. Yes, the reason is due to the natural formation of the rough.

imteejay

Rough_Rock
Here are some pics! Thanks for all your replies so far. The gem is documented by GIA.

SapphirePS2.jpg

imteejay

Rough_Rock
One more...

SapphirePS3.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 8:36:55 AM
Author: Chrono

From what I see it looks lke the premium is 10 to 20 % for rounds and heart shapes in extra fine qualities. Cushions and emerald shapes also have a 12 to 20% premium in extra fine. The premium is less for fine and good qualities. These % are at a wholesale level.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, CMW!

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was referring to round brilliant, not only round. 50% was just a quick guess.

Yes, the crystal shape of sapphire is lengthy. On the top brilliant cuts (diamond-like) need extra weight.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
So what would the Rapapport guide or other pricing guidelines suggest as a per carat price for a sapphire like this?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you seen this stone in person? What did you think of it? It looks like the color fade out a bit around the edges but that could be the angle it was shot at. And you say the paperwork says it''s evenly colored.

You should put this on hold while PS discusses it, we don''t want a lurker to buy it out from under you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely want to know what the cert says because the sapphire does not appear to have an intense saturation on my monitor. Perhaps it''s just the photograph though, so it''s best to verify the cert.

imteejay

Rough_Rock
I have not yet seen it in person. It is from the NSC in NYC and if the price is ok, I can then view or purchase the stone. If the color or stone is not what I expected or want, I can return it full a full refund. I previously looked at Brilliant Earth, but nothing they sell is not heat-treated.

different lighting.jpg

imteejay

Rough_Rock
This is what I was told by one of their "ceritfied gemologist" customer service agents, "Our images are accurate and true to the color of the sapphire is as shown. However, if you would be interested you have the option to inspect your desired stone and then make your decision. You will be able to inspect it for one week and as we are offering free shipping that would be the perfect opportunity to see the sapphire in person. We would merely hold the stone on authorization."

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I dont know sapphires at all, and only have a couple small ones, but I think it is pretty! I think alot depends on the price. I wouldnt pay more then 500$ct for it but that is just me.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 12:45:29 PM
Author: AustenNut
So what would the Rapapport guide or other pricing guidelines suggest as a per carat price for a sapphire like this?

In order to arrive at a price the stone must be graded for hue, tone and saturation. This is something that is quite difficult or impossible to get accurate from a picture posted over the internet. I agree with CHRONO though. The color I see on my moniter is not what I consider intense.

All that being said a picture can be judged. I see a violetish blue with a medium light tone (4) with what looks to be a very slighty graiysh saturation (3).The cutting looks pretty good. Being an unheated stone I think the rock would go for somewhere around 400 to 500 dollars for the stone.

imteejay

Rough_Rock
Please, if you all are suggesting 500-600 for this stone... WHERE DO YOU GET THOSE?? I have not seen a high quality stone near that price range! The NSC maybe a little expensive, but I did not think it marks up the price 300%-350%!!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 3:30:38 PM
Author: imteejay
Please, if you all are suggesting 500-600 for this stone... WHERE DO YOU GET THOSE?? I have not seen a high quality stone near that price range! The NSC maybe a little expensive, but I did not think it marks up the price 300%-350%!!

Oh, I did not know it was from NSC !! That makes a world of differnce. How about 1700 dollars then.

I really think you can do a lot better going through one of the cutters mentioned around here.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
NSC marks them up 100-200%. Ditto to the listed vendors here.

imteejay

Rough_Rock
Please... HELP!! Any listed vendors would be greatly appreciated! Where do I find such a list?

I want a beautiful stone, but a beautiful stone at a great price is even better!!

imteejay

Rough_Rock
Also, a vendor that can create a setting would be ideal! Just to go through one person/vendor would make things a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results