shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with negotiating... urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I'm negotiating a contract. The woman I'm dealing with told me that the last two people got $?K-?k. The top figure is a few thousand less than I normally get, but pretty close. Is my next move:

a) to say 'here's what I normally get, and I'm expecting a raise next year' and then she presumably matches it?
or
b) do I say 'I'm used to getting a little more than that, and i'm expecting a raise next year' but keep it vague, hoping she comes back with a counter-offer that's higher than what I'd be getting if I stay where I am?

Any advice? I suck at this stuff. like, totally, totally suck.

Or maybe I'm overanalyzing?

Any help appreciated. My usually 'career stuff' mentor is away on a boat somewhere.
14.gif

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I would go with A.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 6:50:29 PM
Author:Independent Gal
I''m negotiating a contract. The woman I''m dealing with told me that the last two people got $?K-?k. The top figure is a few thousand less than I normally get, but pretty close. Is my next move:

a) to say ''here''s what I normally get, and I''m expecting a raise next year'' and then she presumably matches it?
or
b) do I say ''I''m used to getting a little more than that, and i''m expecting a raise next year'' but keep it vague, hoping she comes back with a counter-offer that''s higher than what I''d be getting if I stay where I am?

Any advice? I suck at this stuff. like, totally, totally suck.

Or maybe I''m overanalyzing?

Any help appreciated. My usually ''career stuff'' mentor is away on a boat somewhere.
14.gif
As someone who has hired a lot of people over the years my response to either of these comments would be one of the following:

(a) I really really want you and I up my offer.

(b) I can get someone else with the same qualifications for less money so I let you walk.

(c) I tell you straight out what my top offer is for this job grade and let you decide if you want to take it or leave it.

So much of this depends upon how badly you want the job and how badly they want you. Either way - good luck!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''m going to go with my ''a'' (everyone''s happier when the facts are explicitly on the table, right?) and hope she comes back with Sundial''s ''a''. We''re only talking about something like 3k difference, and this is a very, very wealthy organization. So, let''s hope? I haven''t heard the full details on the package yet anyway. Maybe there''s a perk in there that makes it worthwhile.

Send me some PS fairy dust!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
*dust*dust*dust*

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
what i would say is "i really am very interested in x position with x company. my only hesitation is that i don''t know if can go down in salary from where i am now." they''ll probably ask what you are making. and usually they will match it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The last contract I negotiated they offered me 4k GBP less than I wanted but 6k GBP more than I was actually on.

I asked for the total I wanted and they agreed in about a millisecond. FI thought I should have asked for more, but I was so happy with what I got.

I hate this kind of thing and always undervalue my skills and value in the workplace, so it did more good to be honest to my ego and self confidence than the actual money did.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohhh, new job? Congratulations Indy! I''d go with Sundial''s ''A'' also. Let us know what happens.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
I like what Sundial suggested.You may also say something like this: I am willing to take whatever the last person in this position was paid after probation so you can proprely evaluate my skills.I am willing to take less while on probation.I am not sure how badly you want this job. I probably would not ask for a raise next year at this point.Good luck

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really ''need'' this job, so I feel I CAN hold out, though I wouldn''t hold out for 3k, probably, given the whole point is geographic coordination with FI. They know I don''t ''need'' the job, and they know that I want to coordinate with FI (I know these folks from previous work). But they also know (not to be vain or anything) that I kick a&& at what I do. So we''ll see.

Scarleta: The raise issue is not asking the new folks for a raise - I''ll only be working for them for one year anyway - but the point is that I won''t be STARTING this job until more than a year from now. So the salary she would be matching would be my salary a year from now, which is likely to be several $K more. That will be clear to her.

My guess is that a) the benefits attached to this package are going to be awesome and b) it won''t be too hard for them to dig up the extra few grand.

Well, cross your fingers! I''ll let you know what happens.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a bit late but just want to wish you good luck, Indy Gal!

good luck, cant wait to hear what happens

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
In response to her comment that "the last two in this position received $X and $X", I''d reply something along the lines of "I can appreciate that my asking salary is a bit more than what you''ve historically paid for this position based on those two people. On the other hand, I feel I have more to offer based on *A* and *b* (whatever your reasons are), and I''ll work strenously to make sure you consider the slightly higher salary as money well invested."

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate this stuff too. But you''ve gotten alot of good suggestions. Hope it works out for you!!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 8:30:11 PM
Author: Independent Gal
I don''t really ''need'' this job, so I feel I CAN hold out, though I wouldn''t hold out for 3k, probably, given the whole point is geographic coordination with FI. They know I don''t ''need'' the job, and they know that I want to coordinate with FI (I know these folks from previous work). But they also know (not to be vain or anything) that I kick a&& at what I do. So we''ll see.

Scarleta: The raise issue is not asking the new folks for a raise - I''ll only be working for them for one year anyway - but the point is that I won''t be STARTING this job until more than a year from now. So the salary she would be matching would be my salary a year from now, which is likely to be several $K more. That will be clear to her.

My guess is that a) the benefits attached to this package are going to be awesome and b) it won''t be too hard for them to dig up the extra few grand.

Well, cross your fingers! I''ll let you know what happens.
hi! have you posted what kind of work you do? i do not mean to pry so if you don''t wish to make that public just disregard this post. the reason i ask is i am curious as to what type of job negotiates that far in advance and the job has a one year time restriction.
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Newsflash! I just got the updated offer and they will match my this year's salary plus give me the standard raise everyone else at the organization will get that year plus add my usual retirement fund contribution to the salary, plus 100% free health care.

We're working on some visa issues and I'm going to see if I can get help with housing. But otherwise it's a done deal.

YAY!
9.gif

(Oh, and Crown, I'd rather keep mum on what I do. Sorry!)

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
congrats!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

i knew you''d be successful!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Indy!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Congrats!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic! I''m glad to see they were willing to match your current pay rate. See they really really want you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results