shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with mystery mark on an orange blossom band

lapetitebaker

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I’m looking for some help solving a little puzzle that I’ve picked up and I’m hoping a fellow vintage/antique lover may have some insight. I recently purchased a two-tone orange blossom band with a mystery marking and none of my Googling has been able to track down the meaning.

I know the main marking is a maker’s mark for J.R. Wood & Sons, but I’ve been stumped trying to find the meaning of the second circular mark. The mystery mark vaguely resembles a Traub mark, but it's open on the bottom rather than fully closed like Traub. I also assume it wouldn’t make much sense to have a Traub mark on what appears to be a J.R. Wood ring.

The inside personal engraving is fairly worn (or was partially polished off), but I do have a faint partial date of “2 22 1” with just a small dot of the final digit still visible after the 1 to give a rough time frame of (I would assume) the 1910s.

I’ve included photos of the marks, the date engraving, and a shot of the band as a whole below.

Does anyone recognize this circular mark?

IMG_5889.jpeg

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5896.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I don’t think that mark is a Traub hallmark because it’s not a complete circle but I have no idea why it’s there. Looking at other Wood pieces, I haven’t seen that mark.

It’s a gorgeous band though, hard to find the white gold outside and yellow inside.

lapetitebaker

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, I don’t think that mark is a Traub hallmark because it’s not a complete circle but I have no idea why it’s there. Looking at other Wood pieces, I haven’t seen that mark.

It’s a gorgeous band though, hard to find the white gold outside and yellow inside.

I'm glad to have a second "that's not Traub" opinion. It was the closest thing I've been able to find, but not a perfect match and would be completely out of place. I've spent way more time looking at the interiors of Wood bands recently than I'd like to admit! :lol:

No matter the answer to the mystery, I'm super happy with it. It was only listed as a white gold piece, but I jumped on it with the hint of yellow I could see. I'm really surprised that the blossom engraving and milgrain are so sharp with the level of wear on the interior.

lapetitebaker

Rough_Rock
So while searching for a completely different ring, I stumbled upon another ring with the same mark from Sophie Jane Jewels.
g12077e_1997x1997.jpg

The seller is stating that it tests as 14K and platinum. Could our mystery mark be an outdated/uncommon mark for platinum?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results