shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with handbags -- faves under $100

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking for a new handbag. I like sachels and hobos, but I want some extra pockets and little places for lipstick, cell phone, and ample space for a good size wallet and check book, plus a brush.

I found one I really like at QVC of all places, but there''s only one color: Aqua. Sorry ladies, I only carry one or two handbags a season, and aqua won''t cut it. Here''s the bag, though: http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

I really want it in the color they show, but I don''t even think they offer it in that color.

Any ideas?

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I have a collection of Coach bags, but most of them were more than $100.00. Do they still make "The Sak" bags? I''ve always liked the style of those but have never bought one. I think Dillard''s and Macy''s sells them around here.

Jess

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
That link goes to a site but doesn''t show a pic of any bag on it
7.gif

Have you tried ebags.com or Marshall''s or TJMaxx?

I like Tignanello (although can''t seem to find them around lately) and just saw a Luce bag I really like.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, well, when I try to attach a link it ends up in the same place.

I picked something out at Marshall's once and there was a roach in it. I just can't bring myself to shop there anymore.

I do like Macy's and Dillard's, though.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
For under $100, I like Nine West handbags. They usually have some extra pockets inside to keep your things organized.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I agree with TJMaxx or Marshall''s. I got a Kenneth Cole Reaction Bag at TJ''s last spring that I really love. It has great pockets for cellphones etc. They almost always have a good selection, especially if you just want basic colors.

Zappos.com also has bags and you can search by style type. It''s hard to see the insides but with the free shipping, you aren''t out anything to try them.

Good luck!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Welllllll, looks like I''m sunk. I''ve discovered Michael Kors. Oh, dear.

On the upside, I have found several Fossil bags that I like, either just under $100 or around $150.

I''ve never been that into bags, but lately I''ve decided it may be an accessory to focus on. I don''t have to have a new bag TODAY, so I may go ahead and save up and splurge on a Michael Kors bag.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my Fossil pick. $98 at Dillard''s. What do you think?

fossilbag.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Or, for $298, my Michael Kors pick. Think it''s worth an extra $200? I have several Fossil bags and they are extremely well made -- they last forever.

michaelkorsbag.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 5:42:28 PM
Author: lumpkin
Welllllll, looks like I''m sunk. I''ve discovered Michael Kors. Oh, dear.

On the upside, I have found several Fossil bags that I like, either just under $100 or around $150.

I''ve never been that into bags, but lately I''ve decided it may be an accessory to focus on. I don''t have to have a new bag TODAY, so I may go ahead and save up and splurge on a Michael Kors bag.
LOL! I know the feeling. I normally favor small Louis Vuitton bags, but somewhat recently gave into the pressure to have a large handbag in 2007. (My friends were talking about their Balenciaga bags, which got me to look and fall in love with a green Jimmy Choo, but with the wedding coming up....) Since I didn''t feel it was going to be a "forever" bag (or even a multi-year bag), I was hoping to find something relatively inexpensive because it''s not my typical style. Then I discovered Michael Kors too! Though I wound up upping the budget, I''m really glad I did. I wish I had the style name, but it''s a pebble leather hobo bag in green with lots of interior pockets and it''s proven to be very durable. If it helps, I''ve also seen Michael Kors bags at Off 5th (Saks Outlet), but that was a while ago.

IMO, if there''s a particular model you still have on your mind in a day or two, I think your save-and-splurge is a great idea!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Lumpkin-- They''re both attractive, but you''re right, the Michael Kors is a stunner! Do you normally wear your handbag over your shoulder, or are you comfortable with handles? Would the price difference constitute hardship, or just that you''d have to take it easy on other purchases for a month or two?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It's amazing how I can find ways to get one luxury item a season. This would be THE item. Now, the question is, am I a dinosaur? I have a tendency to carry a bag for years. If I spent $300 on a bag, I really would wear it for a decade, I'm fairly sure, LOL! Is it better to buy a new bag more often for less money to stay in fashion, or, as I'm more inclined to do, spend more and wear it for years? This looks like a year round bag to me.

To be clear, I am not hard on my bags. I don't shop for leisure much, so the only people I would be "showing off" to generally are friends and family, and other moms and teachers at my kids' school. So it's not so much about trying to show how well off we are or anything like that, but more to put more emphasis on my image to reflect well on my husband and kids. More or less to not look like the frumpy old mom, LOL! So, in your opinion, what would be better? Save the $200 and maybe get a new bag next year, or get the luxury bag and carry it for a long time (chances are I'd carry the same bag anyway, though)?

ETA: I've always worn my bags over the shoulder, but I find that they slip off and I'm constantly messing with them. I think I would be okay with one with handles to hold in my hand.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Check out Ann Taylor. They have GREAT bags that go on sale.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
the tj maxx in my area has that michael kors bag reduced. there are two of that style and several others. i think that bag was 139. i would check them out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 6:32:50 PM
It''s amazing how I can find ways to get one luxury item a season. This would be THE item. Now, the question is, am I a dinosaur? I have a tendency to carry a bag for years. If I spent $300 on a bag, I really would wear it for a decade, I''m fairly sure, LOL! Is it better to buy a new bag more often for less money to stay in fashion, or, as I''m more inclined to do, spend more and wear it for years? This looks like a year round bag to me.

To be clear, I am not hard on my bags. I don''t shop for leisure much, so the only people I would be ''showing off'' to generally are friends and family, and other moms and teachers at my kids'' school. So it''s not so much about trying to show how well off we are or anything like that, but more to put more emphasis on my image to reflect well on my husband and kids. More or less to not look like the frumpy old mom, LOL! So, in your opinion, what would be better? Save the $200 and maybe get a new bag next year, or get the luxury bag and carry it for a long time (chances are I''d carry the same bag anyway, though)?

ETA: I''ve always worn my bags over the shoulder, but I find that they slip off and I''m constantly messing with them. I think I would be okay with one with handles to hold in my hand.
You sound kinda like me. I''ll carry one til I''m tired of it, or it wears out somehow, but that''s rare. And the ones I buy are the kind that are more classic looking, they don''t really go out of style. But even if they did, if I liked it, I''d still carry it. I''m not into the whole "I''ve got to be on top of the trends" thing. In fact, I hate trends for the most part. I like to be me, not everybody else.
5.gif
(and I don''t think I look like a "frumpy old mom")

But I refuse to spend more than $50-75 on a purse. I can always find something I like, that''s made well enough for that. But that''s just me. Some things I''ll splurge on, bags just aren''t one of them.

If you can afford the more expensive one, and you''ll carry it long enough to get your money''s worth out of it, I say go for it!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I went to Ebay and I''ve got a new pink bag and I''ve bid on a Fossil bag. I didn''t like the inside lining of the Michael Kors bag -- it''s like a canvas. Sorry, for $300 I expect more. I know what the lining of the Fossil bags are like and it''s a feature I really like because they wipe clean with a damp cloth. I have one bag I''ve owned for 3 years. I wiped it out, put some leather conditioner on it, and it''s stored away for whenever I want to wear it. It looks great. So I opted for these two bags, both together under $95. The pink one is obviously trendy because of the color, but I''ve always wanted a pink bag.
emembarrassed.gif

fossilbag2.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
And here is the pink bag.

Okay, and so for the news, did I do okay?

maxxnybag.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Here's the inside of the pink bag. It's so cute!!! Oh, and both bags are leather. I kinda think I did pretty well.
16.gif

Thank you to everyone for your advice. We do have a TJ Maxx here and I may still go check out the Michael Kors bag and see if they have it. I really do like the look of it, even if the inside isn't my ideal fabric. There's just no way I'm going to spend that much (full price) unless I love every little thing about it. Maybe I'm cheap, but....

maxxnybaginside.jpg

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
That pink bag is really cute!! I think you did a great job on both bags!! WOOHOO!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Marvel. I am really excited to get it! I really need to get out more, LOL!

I''m still thinking of the Michael Kors bag, too, though. I will have to go see it in person and decide if it''s as good looking as it is on line. If so, maybe it can be my birthday present in November.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I've lost my mind. I bid on another one, this time a Michael Kors. I like this one even better than the first one.
36.gif

michaelkors2bag.jpg

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 4:44:04 PM
Author: IslandDreams
I agree with TJMaxx or Marshall's. I got a Kenneth Cole Reaction Bag at TJ's last spring that I really love. It has great pockets for cellphones etc. They almost always have a good selection, especially if you just want basic colors.

Zappos.com also has bags and you can search by style type. It's hard to see the insides but with the free shipping, you aren't out anything to try them.

Good luck!
I went to TJ's today and our TJ Maxx is just a dud. It just doesn't have much but the sort of yucky bags made of vinyl with a few leather bags thrown in. However, I went to Steinmart and saw a Kenneth Cole Reaction bag I just love! It's a perfect dark brown and the style is perfect. One of the sales ladies said she thinks it will go on sale, so I'm going to keep an eye on it. I had not seen that line, I'm glad you mentioned it because there were actually about 7 of them there that I liked.

I also went to Nordstrom's today and saw the first Michael Kors bag. It's huge. I like it, but I'd want it about 40% smaller. If I got it I'm not sure if I would be wearing the purse or it would be wearing me -- it's that big. I also saw the Fossil bag, it's kind of eh. Not that great. Oh, well.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 9:23:07 PM
Author: crown1
the tj maxx in my area has that michael kors bag reduced. there are two of that style and several others. i think that bag was 139. i would check them out.
I swear, I love Marshall''s, TJ Max, Ross etc... for purses. Marshall''s had a Michael Kors bag that I l
30.gif
ved! but I didnt buy it since I need to save money. They also had some some Dooney''s, Fendi, one Furla, Fossil, lots Of KC. I''m such a dork. Since I can''t buy any new purses I make sure to hang the ones I like right out in front so someone will see & buy it. Usually they are hidden on the racks where unless you really have time to dig (Like me, ha) you wont see it. Marshall''s also had some Seven jeans.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Okay, guys, I am so excited!!! I have been really obsessed lately about getting a new, or some new bags to the point of excluding almost everything else! But I rarely buy anything for myself and the floodgates have sort of been loosed.

I didn't get the second Michael Kors bag. Someone outbid me.
8.gif

I just have to share my new bag. It's sooo gorgeous.

hypebagcollage.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
woohoo.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow! that is a beautiful bag!!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 11:31:04 AM

Okay, guys, I am so excited!!! I have been really obsessed lately about getting a new, or some new bags to the point of excluding almost everything else! But I rarely buy anything for myself and the floodgates have sort of been loosed.

I didn''t get the second Michael Kors bag. Someone outbid me.
8.gif

I just have to share my new bag. It''s sooo gorgeous.

OoOh I love the color very pretty.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, Lumpkin, did you just buy three bags so that you could avoid getting the one Michael Kors bag?

I would SOOO do that myself.

Nice selections, BTW. I really like the light blue one you posted; if that was the third bag you purchased, then I think it''s great that you didn''t stop yourself at two.
28.gif
Well done!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would head out to your local tjmaxx, marshalls, or ross. It sounds cheesy, but I''ve found beautiful high quality handbags there. I''ve seen dooney and burke, michael kors, ralph lauren, etc. for very reasonable prices.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Ellen, Woohoo is right. I really am way too excited about this, LOL!

Jcrow, thank you. I think it really is a nice looking bag, and it seems to be very well made.

Vegasangel, I haven't checked Marshall's, but it's kind of like our TJ Maxx out here. I think some of them, depending on the city, are excellent sources, but whenever I seem to go it's just junky stuff. We went to a Marshall's in another city awhile ago and it was much, much nicer than ours. I don't know why ours isn't better than it is...??? Oh, well. Do you have a Steinmart? That's the place around here where I like to go. They have a ton of accessories and lots and lots of clothes for men and women, and it's nicely organized. Anyway, thank you for the compliment -- I was hesitant about the color but I do wear a lot of pastels and it was just too good a deal to pass up. I was worried I'd have buyer's remorse, but I don't. I'm SO glad I went for it!

fleur-de-li, you are so funny! Yes, I was justifying my bags going, "Well, all three of these are less than the one Michael Kors bag..." and I've actually just bid on the Fossil doctor's bag. I don't know if I'll get it or not. If I don't, oh, well, guess I'll just have to keep shopping.
27.gif
I think I really like ebay for designer bags. There are soooooo many to choose from!

Kcoursolle, I agree that paying retail is kind of a waste. I don't mind being a little cheesy -- the discount store is probably less cheesy than ebay, LOL!

Well, Pricescope, now I'm not only a diamond addict, but now we can list handbags to my list of vices. If I'm not carefull I'll have to change my moniker to "thebaglady"!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results