shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I was at a local jewelry store today inquiring about purchasing an emerald cut diamond. When I asked about getting a Sarin he got kind of mad and sad that they are very uncommon and the machine is inaccurate. I would be paying for the report so I don''t know what his problem is unless his diamonds are not up to par. Needless to say I will not be doing business with him. But he told me a Sarin is really unnecessary for an emerald cut. Is this true?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this b/c I don''t know the answer and I''d like to!

So: How does the effectiveness of a Sarin differ for a step-cut stone? Is it even worthwhile for stones other than RB? I''m curious too!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 7:11:55 PM
Author:jazmine
I was at a local jewelry store today inquiring about purchasing an emerald cut diamond. When I asked about getting a Sarin he got kind of mad and sad that they are very uncommon and the machine is inaccurate. I would be paying for the report so I don''t know what his problem is unless his diamonds are not up to par. Needless to say I will not be doing business with him. But he told me a Sarin is really unnecessary for an emerald cut. Is this true?
well.............its a multi-faceted answer (and I am not an expert) but I purchased an EC stone last winter and I had it independantly appraised with multiple sarins run on it.........sarins are tough on step cuts b/c the sharp angles of the step cuts are not read consistently by the machines . So its not that the machine are inaccurate but that they have inconsistent accuracy on certain cuts. Personally-I think they are somewhat unnecessary on EC''s b/c their appeal is so dependant on the viewer..........some like a fat rectangle others a thin one.........some love a large table that makes the stone look huge etc etc .......................

that said the jeweler should have been --at least--more informative

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
emerald cuts have to be judge by the eyes pretty much.
Viewing them in as many light conditions as possible is a good idea.
The most useful information would be the crown height but that can be judge by looking also.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Storm, Right ON!! we agree. amazing
36.gif

Window shopper has some good points too...
I have never even looked at a sarin for an emerald cut. As window shopper pointed out, a sarin can not really measure an emerald cut consistently.

Use your eyes Jaz- and definately that jeweler had his head up his butt.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... you can get the numbers, but if you can look at the stone anyway those counts little. What ''numbes''can help is show with a model what different proportions and cut details can do to the general appearance of these stones because it is hard to get allot of really varied options in flesh - this could be useful if you find the slight difference between 3D visuals and reality pallatable. (IMO,as allways, of course - others will probably not agree- also as usual
1.gif
).

With ECs it would ba important to get to see some options because allot tend to be of the same breed - cut with flat crowns and large, steep pavilion steps that become windowns at a slight tilt. Perhaps some find the look appealing - but anyway, there are also other interpretations of the cut that,I feel, deliver more consistent brilliance. It doesn''t take allot of effort to tell which is what with two diamonds at hand. It is harder to tell in words what to look for. An imperfect description would point at a higher crown (which usually implies a smaller table -although this doesn''t have to be small in absolute terms) and balanced size of the pavilion steps (if one is extra large it becomes see-through at the slightest tilt). I can''t claim these are good rules because such observations can easily be backed up (and thus made better) by some ranges of numbers and models.
34.gif

A couple of EC hunts on Pricescope also tell that the ''better'' kind of EC requires some search.

You might want to read Windowshopper''s threads about her EC.
10.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 8:50:06 AM
Author: valeria101
Yeah... you can get the numbers, but if you can look at the stone anyway those counts little. What ''numbes''can help is show with a model what different proportions and cut details can do to the general appearance of these stones because it is hard to get allot of really varied options in flesh - this could be useful if you find the slight difference between 3D visuals and reality pallatable. (IMO,as allways, of course - others will probably not agree- also as usual
1.gif
).

With ECs it would ba important to get to see some options because allot tend to be of the same breed - cut with flat crowns and large, steep pavilion steps that become windowns at a slight tilt. Perhaps some find the look appealing - but anyway, there are also other interpretations of the cut that,I feel, deliver more consistent brilliance. It doesn''t take allot of effort to tell which is what with two diamonds at hand. It is harder to tell in words what to look for. An imperfect description would point at a higher crown (which usually implies a smaller table -although this doesn''t have to be small in absolute terms) and balanced size of the pavilion steps (if one is extra large it becomes see-through at the slightest tilt). I can''t claim these are good rules because such observations can easily be backed up (and thus made better) by some ranges of numbers and models.
34.gif

A couple of EC hunts on Pricescope also tell that the ''better'' kind of EC requires some search.

You might want to read Windowshopper''s threads about her EC.
10.gif
hi ana! you always say it right!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results