shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP with Emerald cut solitare/setting value!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nayde

Rough_Rock

Hello all, looking for some opinions on a deal I''m about to make on an emerald diamond and setting. Here are the diamond details:

EM/1.66CT/D-color/VVS2/GIA/68.5-depth/70-table/M-girdle/N-flour/VG-sym/VG-pol/N-cutlet/8.09*5.53*3.79 1.46:1

Price of $14,600 includes platinum setting with princess cut diamonds channel set in the band. Total carat wt. including emerald solitare is 3.0. The shop is on 47th Street in NYC and I''ve seen the band myself (she loved it) but not the diamond. I''ve talked to the owner in person a couple times when we were there last month and over the phone this morning three times - very personable and seemingly straight-forward. Any comments, critques, opinions, etc. would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky guy !
9.gif
It sounds like you struck gold the first time ! Not only those numbers sound great, but the price could have been for the diamond alone... assuming GIA cert (is it?).

Given the super attractive value (I hope this is certified), going down to some still safe G-VS2 would not even count allot towards size (about 2 cts, potentially, but not allot larger anyway). SO there isn't much left to say about this, as far as I can tell.

Nayde

Rough_Rock
Quick addition - just read some information on BlueNile about their "Signature Emerald Cut" citing creater crown height (9%+) and smaller table capures more light while a culet and more evenly distributed pavilion facets increases light reflection, resulting in an even display of brilliance. Thoughts and comparision to the diamond I''m considering?!?

Nayde

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ana, appreciate your time and opinion. It''s GIA certified.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2004 2:284 PM
Author: Nayde
Quick addition - just read some information on BlueNile about their 'Signature Emerald Cut' citing creater crown height
Those numbers give a pretty rough approximation of optics... the safest thing to do is judge each diamond in person, not a set of numbers. This is definitely not just IMO
34.gif

You could use an Ideal Scope to evaluate this stone in particular (Link to Iscope site)

Not only BN defines cut grades using table, depth, crown height and proportions. AGA does the same, and their tables are more detailed even. (see "Fancy sahpes" under "Knowledge" on top of htis page). But AGA acknowledges that their sets of numbers are not strict enough to predict brilliance - BN is not as conservative sicen they sell those stones...

BTW... there is way more one can say about a diamond online: BN is relatively schetchy in this regard. The "ultimate" looks a bit like THIS . That is a storefront alright, but looks like some class reading for optics to me
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results