carat
color
clarity

Help with design for 0.68ct F antique marquise

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello

So I have a dilemma. I need some help.

I have just brought a 0.68ct F coloured antique marquise stone from @newdiamondworld

Link here https://ivyandrose.com/products/0-6...-estate-2-3-carat-natural?utm_medium=shop_web

The dilemma is. I know this needs a halo to make it a good enough size for my finger. But whilst I appreciate and love the look of halos I just don’t have the desire to have one. I know this because I set a similar sized black opal in an 18k gold bezel setting that’s simple and I love it. But is just doesn’t do justice to the stone at all. It. Deserves. Better.

So what is a good design that is a halo but not a ‘normal’ princess Di type of halo which just is not my thing.

I’ve got these inspirations but not sure how they would work with my stone. The last one is the inspiration used by @meely for her engagement ring which I love but not sure would work with a marquise.

I kind of know this is an impossible question but any thoughts or inspirations you have would be great.

Thank you

IMG_5229.png IMG_5258.png IMG_5263.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I has a ring made like your second inspiration photo. The center is .8 ct and measures about 9.6 x 4.6. My finger is a size 5.75 if this helps you figure out if your stone would work with something similar on your finger size.
IMG_6471.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, lucky duck, that is a great stone. I am terrible at designing anything but looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a setting.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you want to set it east/west or are you open to north/south? I had this one from Lang's saved which isn't a halo but adds to the center with the smaller stones.
images.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the east west setting of a marquise with a halo! Think it works on almost all fingers!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
You could do graduated sized melee in your Inspo halo to help maintain the overall marquise shape and feel.

Pulled this from Lang antiques to give an example of what I mean.

Screenshot_20230824_224719_Chrome.jpg

Or an art-deco style bezel halo, like this one from Greenlake Jewelry 158268 (1)~2.jpg

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been enjoying Navette shaped rings lately to elongate my knobby fingers…so many ideas that will inspire, if you search for images on google.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
I has a ring made like your second inspiration photo. The center is .8 ct and measures about 9.6 x 4.6. My finger is a size 5.75 if this helps you figure out if your stone would work with something similar on your finger size.
IMG_6471.jpg

This is gorgeous!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Oh, lucky duck, that is a great stone. I am terrible at designing anything but looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a setting.

Thank you @YadaYadaYada

do you want to set it east/west or are you open to north/south? I had this one from Lang's saved which isn't a halo but adds to the center with the smaller stones.
images.jpg

Hi I was thinking east west but worried that this shape stone looks like an eye and for some reason can’t see past it! So have decided north south

I love the inspiration from Langs thank you

I love the east west setting of a marquise with a halo! Think it works on almost all fingers!

Thank you!

You could do graduated sized melee in your Inspo halo to help maintain the overall marquise shape and feel.

Pulled this from Lang antiques to give an example of what I mean.

Screenshot_20230824_224719_Chrome.jpg

Or an art-deco style bezel halo, like this one from Greenlake Jewelry 158268 (1)~2.jpg

I love both of these thank you

I have been enjoying Navette shaped rings lately to elongate my knobby fingers…so many ideas that will inspire, if you search for images on google.

I love navette rings too. But my fingers are short and unfortunately rather fat too so I don’t have a huge amount of finger estate

I just saw this pretty marquise setting on Ivy & Rose -- it should fit your diamond I think -- there's a video too at the link
https://ivyandrose.com/products/mar...-vintage-style-halo-14k-white-gold-semi-mount

Ivy&Rose MTO-19090.png

Thank you @marymm!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
I’ve decided to go with a version of this antique ring (which @meely also used for her inspiration). But this will be blackened/antiqued with milligrain and possibly tri wire band in 18k gold.

IMG_5263.jpeg

Will post cads once I receive them.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve decided to go with a version of this antique ring (which @meely also used for her inspiration). But this will be blackened/antiqued with milligrain and possibly tri wire band in 18k gold.

IMG_5263.jpeg

Will post cads once I receive them.

It’s gonna be beautiful!!

Are you set in that shoulder design or are open to suggestions?
:)

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
It’s gonna be beautiful!!

Are you set in that shoulder design or are open to suggestions?
:)

Thank you!
Open to any and all suggestions :kiss2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The elongated navette maybe wants a wider shoulder than the double halo inspo shows….
however the bow shoulder that popped in my head immediately doesn’t seem work so well in cut /paste as thought it would with the double halo :lol:

C5E157C5-CDF1-4622-9D82-E72A7E430EE6.jpeg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The elongated navette maybe wants a wider shoulder than the double halo inspo shows….
however the bow shoulder that popped in my head immediately doesn’t seem work so well in cut /paste as thought it would with the double halo :lol:

please excuse an off-topic moment ... @Rfisher if you have more images or a link to the emerald ring with bow shoulders, I would love to see more -- I am gathering inspiration for a pear solitaire with bow shoulders and the one you posted is just beautiful. Thank you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
please excuse an off-topic moment ... @Rfisher if you have more images or a link to the emerald ring with bow shoulders, I would love to see more -- I am gathering inspiration for a pear solitaire with bow shoulders and the one you posted is just beautiful. Thank you.

Unfortunately no, I do not.
pinterest and all were dead end searches, iirc.

hopefully someone else knows.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Loved this diamond when I saw it in preloved! So looking forward to seeing it in its final home!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock

Thank you @Rfisher! I love these shoulder styles.
I am hoping to use a graduated halo to make the stone chubbier sideways and even out the overall shape - I want to try and avoid an overly navette shape

Would really love your input once the CADs are in - the shoulders are the challenge I think as well as the gallery ideas.

Thank you again

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
CAD round 1 is in.
I am rubbish at reading CADs. Any thoughts? Paging @Rfisher for your view =)2
Thank you!
DK 95352-QUAD-2.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have the stone long enough - or do you still have it
To post a picture of the stone on the back of your hand?
I think this really helps with scale of figuring out what you want to see with the CAD images.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6BDEBEE9-4C41-4FE9-BDE7-ABE25CE28D07.jpeg
ok !! I just realized why I was thinking of bows
for shoulder design upthread :lol-2:
Because of this ring! DUH on me.
and DK already has done a version of it, iirc.

I don’t think the CAD you already have has anything wrong with it at all. It just depends on the vision in your head - what you want to accomplish.

since you mentioned graduated stones on the side, and just for kicks
8DCA5F79-2990-44E6-83A0-B7450E8F9E1D.jpeg

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Did you have the stone long enough - or do you still have it
To post a picture of the stone on the back of your hand?
I think this really helps with scale of figuring out what you want to see with the CAD images.

Hello unfortunately as I’m in the uk the stone was sent straight to David so I haven’t seen it at all

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
6BDEBEE9-4C41-4FE9-BDE7-ABE25CE28D07.jpeg
ok !! I just realized why I was thinking of bows
for shoulder design upthread :lol-2:
Because of this ring! DUH on me.
and DK already has done a version of it, iirc.

I don’t think the CAD you already have has anything wrong with it at all. It just depends on the vision in your head - what you want to accomplish.

since you mentioned graduated stones on the side, and just for kicks
8DCA5F79-2990-44E6-83A0-B7450E8F9E1D.jpeg

I love this marquise design. I think though that the centre is significantly larger than my stone so the overall dimensions would be very different. Otherwise I’d be very tempted to switch designs!

I am actually pretty happy with the CAD. I might change the shoulders to have some small detailing but otherwise I’m happy.

I might ask for something like this for the shoulders

IMG_5271.jpeg

Thanks for your visuals @Rfisher they are always so incredibly helpful

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Should the shoulders tuck under the ring head more (I realise this is probably not the technical term)

Like this CAD

IMG_5274.png

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
So I raised with David about the shoulders and he responded with this CAD that tucks the shoulders slightly more under the head ( to be fair I couldn’t see the difference).

Does this look ok to everyone in terms of how the shoulders meet the ring head?

@Rfisher @Niel would appreciate your views!

Thank you

DK 95352-QUAD.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good to me. It’s very low set, you’ll have quite a gap if you were going to wear it with a band. If that isn’t a concern though, I wouldn’t change it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. It’s really low. That’s a preference thing but also a practical thing as stated re stacking.

Raising the height by adding a donut or increasing the amount (height) of gallery will change the look of the shoulders. Where they can attach as now they are attached to the underside of the halo - the example you gave is attached in post 26 is almost attached to the gallery itself.

Raising to 6-7 mm (instead if 5) won’t make it a ‘high’ ring at all. Maybe ask for a plastic model of both option if you aren’t sure of your preferences?

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Looks good to me. It’s very low set, you’ll have quite a gap if you were going to wear it with a band. If that isn’t a concern though, I wouldn’t change it.

Yes. It’s really low. That’s a preference thing but also a practical thing as stated re stacking.

Raising the height by adding a donut or increasing the amount (height) of gallery will change the look of the shoulders. Where they can attach as now they are attached to the underside of the halo - the example you gave is attached in post 26 is almost attached to the gallery itself.

Raising to 6-7 mm (instead if 5) won’t make it a ‘high’ ring at all. Maybe ask for a plastic model of both option if you aren’t sure of your preferences?

Thank you both. I’m happy with low so I am going to go with it as is. Thank you for your reassurances!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results