shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing the right sapphire depth and proportions

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock
Re: Help with choosing the right sapphire depth and proporti

These all look good. This is certainly the color my girl likes - closer to Royal Blue. However, every time I look at one of these in person (or at least I think it is one of these shades) it looks almost black when mounted. It seems to lose its luster. Is it true it gets darker when mounted? How would I know if this is not too dark? The reason I was looking at the oval I put up above is because I figured it would look darker when set and not be too dark. Could just be flawed thinking. Thoughts?

How do the oval and cushion I posted compare in terms of cut and color to the ones you showed me? I read a comment that said comparing different cuts will have me see which is good but I definitely have trouble with this. Whats your opinions? Both these stones are at approximately $3400 which puts them in line with some of the others you guys suggested.

As always, thank you.

_29422.jpg

_29423.jpg

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock

Heres another view of the cushion and oval in indirect lighting.

_29424.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you order two stones to view them side by side for a final decision? For me, it would be between the MC oval and the Finewater oval (and this is coming from a person who typically avoids ovals). The reason behind this is to observe the colour shift and decide which one you prefer. Pictures can only show you so much.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

twindoeflow|1429830434|3866776 said:
These all look good. This is certainly the color my girl likes - closer to Royal Blue. However, every time I look at one of these in person (or at least I think it is one of these shades) it looks almost black when mounted. It seems to lose its luster. Is it true it gets darker when mounted? How would I know if this is not too dark? The reason I was looking at the oval I put up above is because I figured it would look darker when set and not be too dark. Could just be flawed thinking. Thoughts?

How do the oval and cushion I posted compare in terms of cut and color to the ones you showed me? I read a comment that said comparing different cuts will have me see which is good but I definitely have trouble with this. Whats your opinions? Both these stones are at approximately $3400 which puts them in line with some of the others you guys suggested.

As always, thank you.

You are right to be concerned about stones darkening in settings, particularly bezels and halo type settings. And yes, now that I look at them again, the stones I posted are definitely darker in tone. It just seems that the MC stones lack saturation of color.

twindoeflow

Rough_Rock

Now it's getting harder to choose :razz:

The first stone on FineWaters webpage (1.85 Cushion) looks, at first glance, to be the right color blue I'm looking for. But does anyone know if this would get too dark in a setting with two side stones? No halo.
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Also the oval on that same page that mentioned a couple posts ago almost looks see through in the pictures but darker in the video.. in the pictures, it seems much too light unless the pictures are exaggerated. If thats how it would look set in a ring, i'd pass. What do you guys think?

Finally, GemFix is a couple hour drive away and seems like they have the right blue color and right saturation. Particularly:
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html#thumb
-1185 (out of my price range but seems ideal)

Your take?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You haven't seen too many in person, correct? If I were you, I would call and make an appointment at Gemfix and drive there. They have more than is on their website, and as others have found, it seems their inventory is deep enough to accommodate varying tastes. If you can get down there, you likely will find one you like, plus you'll have the helping hand of those who work there and really, really know how the sapphires will respond in varying situations. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Videos tend to be more accurate than photos. I agree with Minou that it is best to make an appointment with Andrew to see a few sapphires in person. Nothing beats seeing them live.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results