shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with CADs please!!

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone.

I would like your opinion on the following CADs. The centre stone is 3ct MRB. The side stones are 1.5 pointers, with a 2 pointer at each apex. Please let me know what you think, and make suggestions for improvements! I'd also like your opinions on what style and shape of wedding band you think would go with this ring. And if you think white gold or platinum would look better (and wear better over time) with this particular ring. And most important of all -- do you think this design will make the centre stone look big? :cheeky:

P.S. This design is based on an awesome ring by BGD featured on his blog. I wanted to make a few changes to his design -- namely, I wanted NSEW prongs, a bit more of a cathedral shape, channel set instead of bead set, and a single side stone at each apex instead of that double metal ridge where the shanks meet. What do you think of the changes? Better? Worse? Any other changes you would add?

Here is the link to the BGD ring:
http://blog.brianthecutter.com/2012...-shank-princess-cut-diamond-engagement-ring…/

Thanks in advance, everyone! I really value your advice.

cad1_2.jpg
cad2_2.jpg
cad3_1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am feeling like the overall design is bulky, and that really doesn't do a lot for your stone looking larger. I think it really needs to be scaled down. As it is, I think it looks best as a standalone ring.

Oh, and I always recommend platinum...95%plat/5%ruthenium or 90plat/10iridium only.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a THREE CARAT STONE?

Cause it looks like an 80 pointer in there. that setting is terribly bulky.

Are you working with BGD or some other vendor?

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys.
I agree I think the prongs are way too big.

And I don't think the centre stone is drawn to size. It certainly doesn't look it.

I'm going with a local vendor for my setting. I have two vendors to choose from. This is vendor #1s CADs. I think I'm going to get a second opinion from vendor #2 and see what they come up with.

In terms of overall bulkiness...does it look bulkier than the BGDs version?

Diamond seeker... I'm concerned about platinum patina on such a shiny ring. Do you think the ring would maintain its crisp shininess more in platinum or in white gold?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the harder platinum alloys are fine. Nothing touches most surfaces of the ring. And I am not sure I'd wear a band with that, so it might stay very shiny from the top view. Maybe every few years you'd have to have it polished. But rhodium plating just looks a little like chrome to me and the yellow metal showing as the rhodium wears away bothers me a lot more than a little dullness from scratches. But that is mainly on the bottom of the ring on the palm side of your hand. The weight of platinum is more luxurious to me. But really, metals are a personal preference. I do have some jewelry in white gold like pendants and earrings. It's just that platinum is not all that much higher in cost at this time, so it is a good time to buy platinum jewelry because over time it can be much higher than gold.

Why are you not having BG make this ring for you? I really feel like it might not be duplicated well judging from these CADs.

metatrix

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
I think the harder platinum alloys are fine. Nothing touches most surfaces of the ring. And I am not sure I'd wear a band with that, so it might stay very shiny from the top view. Maybe every few years you'd have to have it polished. But rhodium plating just looks a little like chrome to me and the yellow metal showing as the rhodium wears away bothers me a lot more than a little dullness from scratches. But that is mainly on the bottom of the ring on the palm side of your hand. The weight of platinum is more luxurious to me. But really, metals are a personal preference. I do have some jewelry in white gold like pendants and earrings. It's just that platinum is not all that much higher in cost at this time, so it is a good time to buy platinum jewelry because over time it can be much higher than gold.

Why are you not having BG make this ring for you? I really feel like it might not be duplicated well judging from these CADs.

I really want to work with a local jeweller. Partly because I like to meet with people face to face, I like the convenience of being able to easily try on the wax, and it is important to me to support local independent jewellers in my area (there are so few good ones). Also, I fully trust the two jewellers I am considering working with, and both have already gone out of their way to help me with this process. Plus, I don't have to worry about sending my diamond through the mail. And then there is the convenience of having someone local to maintain the ring, polish if, fix it, etc for free whenever needed.

I wouldn't work long distance with a vendor I haven't personally met, unless it was necessary in order to get the ring I want. I will be meeting with the other jeweller today. When i get his CADs, I will post them here. If neither set of CADs look promising, then i will consider contacting BG. But for now, I'd like to try to stay local.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate your advice. Hopefully the CADs from the other guy will be an improvement!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's fair to have 2 jewelers working on the same ring. You're wasting someone's time and resources. Pick the one you think will be able to execute this ring the best based on your due diligence.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
metatrix|1403227251|3696955 said:
Thanks guys.
I agree I think the prongs are way too big.

And I don't think the centre stone is drawn to size. It certainly doesn't look it.

I'm going with a local vendor for my setting. I have two vendors to choose from. This is vendor #1s CADs. I think I'm going to get a second opinion from vendor #2 and see what they come up with.

In terms of overall bulkiness...does it look bulkier than the BGDs version?

Diamond seeker... I'm concerned about platinum patina on such a shiny ring. Do you think the ring would maintain its crisp shininess more in platinum or in white gold?

Why is the center stone not "to scale" in the CAD?? ...that's kinda the point. The execution of the ring is based on the CAD, so I would be worried if this was my jeweler. :shock: :|

Is this the CAD for your ring in particular or just one that the jeweler has done in the past for you to look at??

Regarding the bulky look... if the CAD is any indication of the end result, you can forget platinum -- that ring would weigh a pound! :lol: But seriously, it looks like BG's version on steriods. :bigsmile:

I disagree with DS on the platinum. I would use 14K white gold (not 18K) as it will not go "yellow" as fast on the bottom. I have several 14K rings that are over 10 years old that I have never had to replate. The bottom would be the only place that will need it anyway... I am like you -- I'm not crazy about the patina platinum gives when a lot of metal is showing. Also, it's impossible to keep shiny because it scratches so easily.

Have vendor #1 adjust the CAD to scale for your stone (which should have been done so in the first place). BTW, why are you using two vendors?? :confused:

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1403212671|3696777 said:
I am feeling like the overall design is bulky, and that really doesn't do a lot for your stone looking larger. I think it really needs to be scaled down. As it is, I think it looks best as a standalone ring.

Oh, and I always recommend platinum...95%plat/5%ruthenium or 90plat/10iridium only.

+1

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I would have your jeweler make the crossover thinner and closer together to accentuate your big beautiful stone! :)

Also, a thin straight band would look great if you wanted to wear one with it... Like the smaller version of this:

Here it is shown with a similar crossover ering with a smaller center stone than you would have...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1403372374.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1403374460.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1403374516.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results