shape
carat
color
clarity

help with asscher! What setting? What wedding band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscher trouble

Rough_Rock
Hello

I got engaged and my boyfriend (sorry fiancé :) gave me a stunning 1.64 asscher cut diamond. Very good grades but not relevant for my question.

the current setting is a Tiffany style Lucida setting which is very pretty but as my fingers are quite fine it looks too "much". Too much platinum, too heavy.

I very much like a thinner band for my ring with tapered baguette side stones.

My boyfriend insists that the tapered baguettes will take the attention away from the center stone but I find them really pretty.

What are your thoughts? Could you send me pictures with Asscher cut diamond rings with tapered baguette side stones.

And.... would I have to buy the wedding band with it or would any wedding band fit later?

Also, could you come up with ideas for wedding bands for that style?

thank you so much!!
30.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi AT- welcome!

Well, this is strictly my opinion, but I agree with your fiance- I think the tapered baguets would take away from the center stone- its too much. How about your asscher on a very thin pave band? Then you could do a plain pave w-band with it. Here is a pic of an emerald cut with pave w-band- just try to imagine your stone with it... I think it would look awesome! But you have to love the pave look... Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Gumuchian fils-Pearlmans.jpg

asscher trouble

Rough_Rock
I just sort of like this style. Or is that no good with an asscher? Could you think of a wedding band that would go with it?

tapered.jpg

Asschman

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 11:32:54 AM
Author:asscher trouble
Hello

I got engaged and my boyfriend (sorry fiancé :) gave me a stunning 1.64 asscher cut diamond. Very good grades but not relevant for my question.

the current setting is a Tiffany style Lucida setting which is very pretty but as my fingers are quite fine it looks too ''much''. Too much platinum, too heavy.

I very much like a thinner band for my ring with tapered baguette side stones.

My boyfriend insists that the tapered baguettes will take the attention away from the center stone but I find them really pretty.

What are your thoughts? Could you send me pictures with Asscher cut diamond rings with tapered baguette side stones.

And.... would I have to buy the wedding band with it or would any wedding band fit later?

Also, could you come up with ideas for wedding bands for that style?

thank you so much!!
30.gif

Tapered side baguettes need not detract from your asscher--in fact, I chose just such a setting for my fiancee''s e-ring. If you do a search for my screen name, or the setting designer, Michael Bondanza, you should be able to find photos in these forums. While the setting usually comes with a round stone, it can be modified to fit an asscher.

Cheers

Asschman

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think tapered baguettes would look lovely with your asscher. Make sure you post pics once it''s done!!!! Good luck!!!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Maybe something like this?

bagwband.jpg

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Hi - I got my ''asscher'' from NiceIce and it is a lovely, lovely stone. It''s 6x6mm and 1.17.

NiceIce set it for us, with trapezoid side stones, 30tcw, each about 3mm long. Looks great. There''s a pic one one of the threads but honestly can''t remember which! And I can''t post it again right now since I''m not at my usual computer.

The traps don''t detract but it is the case that the shape of the asscher is a little harder to see since, and I love this, they didn''t use any prongs for the traps and they seem to wash right up to the side of the centre stone. There''s a tiny ridge of platinum and then you''re straight into the centre stone so it looks as if it''s all one stone until you do a double take. Hard to explain but I hope you get my drift. I pref traps to bags, personally, since they really seem to echo the asschers cut. I''m talking step cut traps here, not radiant.

Happy hunting!
21.gif

Abi

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Dani
I think the tapered baguets would take away from the center stone- its too much.
Ooooh...I totally disagree! I think tapered baguettes would look lovely with your asscher! I actually much prefer mounting step-cut stones like emerald cuts and asschers with other step-cut stones, like baguettes. So elegant and classic!

(well....you wanted different opinions.....
1.gif
)

Here''s a rather bad picture of my mom''s asscher with small tapered baguette sides:

widget

PS: Welcome, and congratulations on you engagement!

Picture 011.jpg

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Hi - I got my ''asscher'' from NiceIce and it is a lovely, lovely stone. It''s 6x6mm and 1.17.

NiceIce set it for us, with trapezoid side stones, 30tcw, each about 3mm long. Looks great. There''s a pic one one of the threads but honestly can''t remember which! And I can''t post it again right now since I''m not at my usual computer.

The traps don''t detract but it is the case that the shape of the asscher is a little harder to see since, and I love this, they didn''t use any prongs for the traps and they seem to wash right up to the side of the centre stone. There''s a tiny ridge of platinum and then you''re straight into the centre stone so it looks as if it''s all one stone until you do a double take. Hard to explain but I hope you get my drift. I pref traps to bags, personally, since they really seem to echo the asschers cut. I''m talking step cut traps here, not radiant.

Happy hunting!
21.gif

Abi
Oh edited to add that my e ring sits almost flush with my very simple, 2mm plat band.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! How about trapezoid sidestones? They look more interesting with an Asscher than baguettes do.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Did you decide on any? I LOVE the first one posted!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh me too! That pave with the slight upward shanks is divine! Yummy!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna go with Widget on this one...while I do adore the first setting posted, I do think that asschers look great with side stones that are also step cut - like baguettes. I think your original idea would look wonderful with an asscher center stone. Something I think would detract from an asscher center stone would be side stones with "too much going on" like radiants or something of that nature.

asscher trouble

Rough_Rock
Hello

Thank you so much for all your inputs. That''s extremely helpful! I actually like the idea of tapered baguettes or trapezoid side stones even more now. Someone has posted a picture of their mother''s ring. I find that one very nice. (I''m quite a traditional person, so I like that style a lot!)

And of course now new questions have arisen: My center stone is as mentioned a 1.64 carat asscher cut (remembering from the certificate it is E, VVS 2, polish excellent, symmetry excellent. (that''s all I can remember....)

Now, I don''t want my boyfriend to pay for the change of setting as I already feel very happy about receiving a beautiful stone in a well thought Lucida setting. So, I''d like to pay for the changement in setting myself. Well, I''m a poor student :( . HOw do you chose a tapered baguette stone? What are the requirements etc? Would it have to be a super stone to go well with the center stone or can it be included etc? (as you can see I have no idea).

How much do you think it would cost (about?) My ring is platinum.

Thanks again!

asscher trouble

Rough_Rock
oh, and another question. Can you use the existing ring? I mean there is currently a lot of platinum on my finger. Could that be made into another setting?

Thanks

asscher trouble

Rough_Rock
answer anyone?
23.gif

I''m about to leave for the UK to look for tapered baguettes (side stones for my Asscher cut diamond). Any input what I''ll have to look for and whether tapered baguettes are an expensive cut or not?

Also, can I use my already existing setting (platinum) and turn it into a different setting. Or does it have to be all new?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results